• Register
  • Help

Topic: The solution to our RAM limitations?

Share/Bookmark

The solution to our RAM limitations?

http://www.itworld.com/Comp/4063/050602boot/

Forget the stuff about boot times. I'm wondering - would it be possible to direct Kontakt, Giga, GPO etc to load their RAM buffers into one of these instead of into system RAM? And if so, is there any reason one couldn't install a few of these in a machine, for maybe 16GB RAM and all one's sample libraries loaded at once?

Or if it wouldn't be possible, maybe it would with a little bit of updating of the software, or some clever soul writing a third party utility to do it?

Re: The solution to our RAM limitations?

I wonder how much the memory costs. I wouldn't mind if my Windows booted up in seconds.

That system works like a fast hard drive so maybe it could be used to store samples and then used with minimal DFD settings. 4 gigs isn't much so a bigger version is needed and propably that won't be cheap.

This ram-disk thing is still a crappy solution. It cannot replace real the real RAM in terms of performance.

If you want more RAM under windows hope that they someday release a working windows 64bit version and that you get 64bit versions of drivers for all your hardware and that samplers get ported to 64bit.

Otherwise you can use OS X or Linux which can address more RAM today.

As I already mentioned, Linux can address of up to 3.5GB of RAM per process on normal 32bit architectures (eg P4, Athlon).

cheers,
    Benno
    http://www.linuxsampler

Quote Originally Posted by sbenno
    This ram-disk thing is still a crappy solution. It cannot replace real the real RAM in terms of performance.
    Why not?

OS X Tiger can access 4GB per program (which translates to about 2.75GB including Logic as shown in Activity Monitor for reliable operation), but only command-line programs can be written for 64-bit memory access - nothing graphic yet.

2.75GB is still damn good, but it's not the Holy Grail yet.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    Why not?

I just glanced briefly, but it appears to be using SATA as the "pipe," which would be like comparing a snail to a rocket in terms of on-buss RAM speeds vs. SATA speeds. Fast for a drive, but very, very slow compared to how fast your processor and RAM talk to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    I just glanced briefly, but it appears to be using SATA as the "pipe," which would be like comparing a snail to a rocket in terms of on-buss RAM speeds vs. SATA speeds. Fast for a drive, but very, very slow compared to how fast your processor and RAM talk to each other.
    That's why I suggested that it would be a nice hard drive for samples if it was bigger. Samples would load fast and there wouldn't be much need for DFD and therefore less RAM would be needed. Most likely the 64 bit systems will come cheaper but even then there is the endless loading of samples from the hard drive to RAM.

Go Back to forum