• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help networking Mac and PC

Share/Bookmark

Help networking Mac and PC

Hi.
    I'm trying to get my Pc (Windows XP Home) to see the DVD drive on my G5 Mac (10.3.5).
    I've set a couple of sample drives on the PC to share over a network.
    On the Mac side, when I scroll down the Go menu to 'Connect to Server" I'm asked to enter a server address. This is where I get lost. What do I enter in here?

Thanks,

Rob

Re: Help networking Mac and PC

Usually the router (the PC in this case) is IP address 192.168.0.1. If it asks for a subnet mask, enter 255.255.255.0.

If you've set up Internet Connection Sharing on your PC, it should be automatically configured to the above address. If not, you can set it manually from the Network Connections window.

I don't own a Mac, so I don't know what protocols it supports, or how to set it up. But maybe this will get you started...

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by rob morsberger
    Hi.
    I'm trying to get my Pc (Windows XP Home) to see the DVD drive on my G5 Mac (10.3.5).
    I've set a couple of sample drives on the PC to share over a network.
    On the Mac side, when I scroll down the Go menu to 'Connect to Server" I'm asked to enter a server address. This is where I get lost. What do I enter in here?

Thanks,

Rob
    If Jon's answer doesnt work (hes assuming you are connecting directly), map the address to the PC's IP address in the same way if you have a router. It's not clear from what was stated whether it is tryin to connect to the PC directly, or to a network in general. If we assume network, you should already be connected via the Router, which is where the mac picked up an IP address via "automatic assignment". Once connected to your PC, I believe you need to make the PC drive or mac drive "sharable" so the other device can see it. Moreover, it isn't clear to me how MAC's and PCs communicate and SHARE in a WINDOWS MICROSOFT environment. I've never done it. Connecting should be AOK, but allowing one to read the other is an unknown...

Thanks so much for the help. I'm quite confused. Unfortunately, this subject combines two areas of total ignorance for me: Windows, and networking!

Anyway...I'm trying to install some new stuff on DVD onto my Giga comp from my Mac DVD drive. I've done this in system 9 successfully using Dave. My understanding is that in System 10 one can proceed in the manner I described above.

I am not using a router (although I have one and used to network both comps with it). Rather, I am directly connecting both comps with a cat 5 cable.

I manually set the addresses as you described John, on the TCP/IP subpage. Then I tell the Mac to connect to 192.168.0.1. It appears that the comps are talking, the Mac tries to make a connection, then I get this message: could not find a PPoE server, or no response from server.

Any thoughts??

Really appreciate the help.

Rob

I don't recognize "PPoE" from the PC side of things. It must be a Mac protocol. I'm sure there's some common protocol between the two, but I don't know what it is...

-JF

Thank you again for your help, Jon,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I don't recognize "PPoE" from the PC side of things.
    He means PPPoE. (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet)
    You should know what this means, especially if you use ADSL!

To Rob:

(a) make sure you're not doing something silly. You must be using a crossover cable to connect two computers directly - a normal pass-through ethernet cable will not do.

(b) you must find the address of the network card or chip in your PC.
    There are several ways of doing this. You can right click on the network icon in your tray to the lower left. Click on status, then support. This will show the address.
    If your network device icon is not displaying ("show icon in notification area" is not selected), you can find all IP addresses in your computer by opening a command window and typing "ipconfig"

(c) once you have the address, try to ping between the two computers. If this works in both directions, it is then a simple matter of running the Windows networking wizard to see all the mac drives.
    If you cannot ping, this is where the fun really starts. You might need to change some settings in the Windows firewall, or even reinstall your TCP/IP Windows components and reset all your network settings.

Don't be disenheartened - troubleshooting networking is HARD, no matter what anyone says. The pros have hardware to greatly speed up diagnosis. As amateurs, our single best technique if all else fails, is to reinstall Windows.

meroveus,

thank you for your long and generous instructions.

Still not working here though. I am using a crossover cable. I've confirmed that the ip address is what I thought it was (sequentially one digit higher than on the mac in the last number field.)

Not sure how to do the pinging, or that I have the patience to continue with that route.

Thanks a lot though,

Rob

ok
    I got it. Don't know why this was all necessary but....by networking both comps via a router and using DAVE, I was able to accomplish what I was trying to do. Copying over the files as I type.

Thanks again to all who came to my aid...I so appreciate this forum for this kind of assistance, it's fantastic.

Sincerely,

Rob

Go Back to forum