• Register
  • Help

Topic: Keyswitches D, D#, E for KS Strings

Share/Bookmark

Keyswitches D, D#, E for KS Strings

According to my memory (sometimes questionable) and the documentation supplied with the update, keyswitches D, D#, and E for the KS Section Strings (Violins, Violas, Cellos, Basses) should yield "Up/Down", "Up", and "Down" bowing respectively.

For some reason, these keyswitches now change the voices to short bows. I discovered this by opening a project that I hadn't worked on in a while and all of the sections that use up and down bowing now play only as short bows.

The same keyswitches on the corresponding solo voices behave correctly.....

Any clues? Is this a known feature?
    Bill

Re: Keyswitches D, D#, E for KS Strings

For what it's worth, I find the same thing. I had made a copy of the documented articulations in the KS strings (saw it somewhere on this forum) and it just says - automatic up/down bows, up bows, down bows - but nothing about short. Maybe someone else can chime in here...?

Up and downbow features have *always* applied only to shortbows (where they're most needed) in section strings. This has been the case for both GOS and GPO section strings because they draw from the same sample pool. The alternating bow strokes in the solo strings are primarily meant to be used for short bows as well. The fact that I was able to make it possible in the solo strings to play either short and longer bow strokes was a nice bonus as a result of the type of programming used and the particular samples being employed. The section strings use recordings of actual short bows so the possibility of the longer bow stroke programming did not exist.

While I'm on the subject, alternating bow strokes are intended for short bows because rapidly repeated individual or groups of notes leads to problems in sampling. The ear is quick to pick up on identical samples being triggered repeatedly in rapid succession. Alternating bow strokes in combination with the surgical application of VAR1 and VAR2 can largely mitigate such problems. The ear is much more forgiving of identical samples in longer bow strokes because of the increased time between re-triggerings. If a situation arises that seems to need more variability in a long bow passage then I would suggest applying such things as different values in velocity (attack strength), more detailed application of cc1 near the attack portion of the note, and the judicious use of note overlaps.

Tom

Understood. Thanks for the explanation, Tom...and the confirmation, loogoo.
    Bill

Tom,

I'm making little experiments with alternating bow strokes with HP... Can you confirm this?:

- Section Short Bows are velocity-based, like pizz (CC1 seems to have no effect)
    - Solo Short Bows are CC1-based

As you can guess, this causes several problems for unifying KS...

Do you have any plan to make Section Short Bows responsive to CC1 in coming versions?

Best,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Piéchaud
    Tom,

I'm making little experiments with alternating bow strokes with HP... Can you confirm this?:

- Section Short Bows are velocity-based, like pizz (CC1 seems to have no effect)
    - Solo Short Bows are CC1-based

As you can guess, this causes several problems for unifying KS...

Do you have any plan to make Section Short Bows responsive to CC1 in coming versions?

Best,
    Robert
    You are correct. Section short bows can be described as "percussive" in nature (single strike to decay) and use velocity for volume/timbre changes as with all "percussive" instruments in the library. On the other hand, the solo strings don't (strictly speaking) have short bows. They have alternating bow strokes that can be used for either short or long bows. The presence of this "double-duty" function makes it necessary to have the cc1 control. A corresponding "double-duty" function does not exist in the section short bows (they are actual short bow samples.)

As to coming versions: With very few exceptions, I refrain from mentioning future plans in public.

Tom

Go Back to forum