• Register
  • Help

Topic: Does anyone have these books?

Share/Bookmark

Does anyone have these books?

I need good books to fill some gaps. Does anyone recommend any of the following books? Is there something better available?

First of all I need books about writing for percussion. I have the Adler, Forsyth, Rimski-Korsakov and Gilreath orchestration books but they don't really dig into percussion. I'm especially interested in cinematic percussion usage and other creative forms of percussion writing. Percussion instrumentation and Beethoven type of percussion usage is covered in the abovementioned books. I'm interested in both orchestral and ethnic / world percussion.

Are any of these good:

Rocky Maffit et al - Rhythm & Beauty: The Art of Percussion (book and cd)
    Samuel Z. Solomon - How To Write For Percussion
    H. Owen Reed, Joel Leach - Scoring for Percussion

Secondly I need a book about conducting. Something that covers the basics too but preferably gives some insight to the artistic side of it.

How about these:

Brock McElheran - Conducting Technique for Beginners and Professionals
    Joseph A. Labuta - Basic Conducting Techniques

Does anyone have the David Daniels' Orchestral Music? Are there other similar books?

Re: Does anyone have these books?

I am not familiar with those titles, but two that I find I reference often for percussion are Andrew Stiller's "Handbook of Instrumentation" and Reginald Smith Brindle's " Contemporary Percussion." They are both difficult to find, but well worth it. Stiller's covers a wide range of instruments, including rare and ethnic, but rarely describes writing technique. His list of score examples is refreshingly modern and a great place to start learning how to write for the instruments. Brindle's book is devoted in it's entirety to percussion and has more examples to look at than Stiller's.

On conducting...I recommend finding someone to take a few lessons from - especially if you have never studied it before. Although much can be learned the about general technique and psychology of conducting from a book, it would be like learning how to run by reading a book. A decent teacher can show you good technique (and correct bad technique - hard to do by oneself) and score reading skills in a handful of lessons. There are some fantastically poor conductors in the film scoring world. Players are often good enough to get past this, but they are also appreciative of good, clear conducting.

Quote Originally Posted by dvincent
    I am not familiar with those titles, but two that I find I reference often for percussion are Andrew Stiller's "Handbook of Instrumentation" and Reginald Smith Brindle's " Contemporary Percussion." They are both difficult to find, but well worth it. Stiller's covers a wide range of instruments, including rare and ethnic, but rarely describes writing technique. His list of score examples is refreshingly modern and a great place to start learning how to write for the instruments. Brindle's book is devoted in it's entirety to percussion and has more examples to look at than Stiller's.
    Too bad those aren't available. I'm looking for books that can be ordered from Amazon.com.

On conducting...I recommend finding someone to take a few lessons from - especially if you have never studied it before.
    I totally agree and I've had some educating from a professional composer/conductor. I also play in an orchestra so I have first hand experience from that end of the baton. I'm looking more philosophical discussion about the art, descriptions about what is important in addressing different instrument groups and so on. Something to keep me from doing the most juvenile mistakes.

NPC Imaging sells copies/CD-ROM of Stiller's book. It's nice to have on CD-ROM as it is a PDF and you can always have a copy handy at your computer. Brindle's seems to be out of print. Maybe check online auctions, etc.

Try looking in www.abebooks.com... A lot of used book sellers... I've seen some music books there that I thought would be completely off the map...

Thanks for the suggestions. Are there any good scores you would recommend for studying "hollywood" style percussion writing? Or any other later-than-beethoven styles? I want all the bells and whistles, not just timpani, piatti and gran casa.

Try to hunt down some of David Gillingham's scores. Everything I've played of his has brilliant imaginative percussion writing. As far as I know he writes almost exclusively for concert band and definately knows how to use the medium. His style is very much influenced (atleast to my ears) by film.

Some particular pieces I have experience with:

Concerto for Piano, Percussion, and Wind Orchestra
    With Heart and Voice
    Be Thou My Vision
    Stained Glass

The latter is a percussion ensemble of particular fame.

Another excellent composer to check out is Michael Daugherty. His Metropolis Symphony is loaded with cool percussion parts (amongst other things).

Good hunting.

Go Back to forum