Topic: Halion 3 losing MIDI connection. Help please

Share/Bookmark

Halion 3 losing MIDI connection. Help please

HALion version 3.1.0.947
    Pentium 4, 2.4Ghz
    1 Gig of
    Win Xp home edition
    Soundcard is an Echo Mona/24/96 with latest driver
    MIDI interface : Parallel MOTU PC Midi Flyer with latest driver.
    HOST: FL Studio 5.0.2

I have Halion 3 and I have a problem using it with FL Studio. It's the only VST that gives me this problem. I lose my MIDI connection when I insert Halion in a project, after a minute or so of playing Halion... ( PS:I use ASIO drivers ).

At some point, I can't use my keyboard controller anymore to play Halion. Halion somehow shuts down the connection between my MIDI keyboard and Fl Studio. My MIDI interface is a MOTU PC MIDI Flyer plugged in my CPU parallel port. I know, it's old school, but all my other vsti's work flawlessly with it..

The only way to fix the problem is by rebooting my computer and not using Halion 3 in a project. I never have this problem when playing any other VSTi in Fl Studio, but once I insert Halion 3 and play for a minute, I am unable to use my music keyboard controller. I'll hit a key on my music keyboard and suddenly Halion no longer responds. Fl Studio no longer responds to it. No other VSti's inserted in the project respond either. All of a sudden, the connection is lost.. I can continue pasting notes in the piano rolls though.. or use my computer keyboard as a controller ( Halion still responds ), but not the music keyboard .. I am at loss here..

Any help would be very appreciated. I have had this problem for months and have spent a lot of time trying to fix it.

Please help me

Thank you

Pheeleep

Question Re: Halion 3 losing MIDI connection. Help please

Wierd - I know they're working on an update to 3.11 - maybe it will help. Have you tried using HAL3 as a rewire slave? That could get you through in a pinch. Ping Steinberg support and ensure that this is on their list. Also, post this to the official support forum. Good luck.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Re: Halion 3 losing MIDI connection. Help please

Thank you Houston

I already posted in the official forum, but thought I would increase my chances of encountering someone that may know what the dealio is, by posting here as well I also posted on KVRaudio.com..

I hadn't at all thought about using it via rewire. I haven't done that before.. off to investigate..

Thanks for your help!

I just tried Halion using Rewire and the same thing happens. It shuts down the link between my music keyboard and Fl Studio..

I have this same (or a similar) problem too and can't seem to find a work around. Basically after a few minutes of playing a piece with a large polyphony, HALion stops responding to all MIDI signals from FL Studio (I've also noticed the little disk LED flashes red). I don't think its polyphony/resource/cpu related as HALion shows no samples in use.

I´m sorry to hear you are encountering problems, please try again with the upcoming HALion 3.2 release. Check the forum on cubase.net for the announcement (very soon).

cheers
    Helge

I finally found the fix to my problem ( I think ) last night. Well, I haven't been able to reproduce the problem since so things are looking good (knock on wood).

See, I got another dongled device a few days ago ( an NFR version ) and when I would insert it into a project in FL Studio, I would lose my MIDI connection after a few minutes. This is when I realized that it had to have to do with my dongles. Before, I was sure it was Halion causing the problem, but that's because that was the only software program that I had that used a dongle.

Now that I had 2 software programs that used a dongle, and that both behaved in the same way, I then knew it was something else causing this MIDI lost connection problem...

So, I installed the newest Syncrosoft software for my USB dongles ( available at the syncrosoft web site) and what do you know! I haven't been able to lose my MIDI connection since doing that...

I can't believe that it was something so simple... I troubleshooted just about everything imaginable, and it actually all came down to having crappy drivers installed.

Yup - this happens sometimes when you use a USB hub or multiple ports - especially if you have a MIDI/audio device that is driven by USB. I simply moved my licenses to one key and haven't hit a hitch since then...

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    Yup - this happens sometimes when you use a USB hub or multiple ports - especially if you have a MIDI/audio device that is driven by USB. I simply moved my licenses to one key and haven't hit a hitch since then...

How do you move your licenses to one key?

Open the License Control Center with two keys inserted in your compter, and run Wizards>>License Transfer. If you only have two keys inserted, it's pretty intuitive and nearly automatic.

Go Back to forum