• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbie Question

Share/Bookmark

Newbie Question

Hi,
    I'm thinking of getting in on the group buy and I have a few questions.
    Is it possible to input a piano vocal score and have the software orchestrate it for you?
    I have a stand alone multi-track recorder and I would like to be able to produce orchestral wav files and then transfer them to my recorder so I can then add a vocal track(s). My recorder is also midi capable but I have to admit that I don't know too much about midi.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Brian

Re: Newbie Question

The short answer; no. That said, there are some plug-ins for sequencer programs such as Cubase or Sonar that will create a sort of "auto-accompaniment", but they tend to sound rather uninspired. Some notation programs such as Sibelius have an "explode" or "arrange" function that will take a piano part and spread the notes out among the instruments of your choosing. But this is more a gimmick and so far, nothing really replaces working out an orchestration of one's own. Certainly, if someone did come up with software that could do this automatically, most of us here would be out of a job!

Arranging via Software:

do a google search for

Band in a Box
    Ntonyx Onyx Arranger
    CAMPS music software

(I believe all require the supplied melody as a midi file).

Results are well, computerish ...

YBaCuO

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for your responses I really appreciate it. I guess I'd be best off to get someone to arrange the music for me. Although I do have a Bachelor of Music (performance voice) I didn't take any orchestration courses (I tried to avoid anything that looked like theory).
    I've played around with Band in a Box a bit but as you indicated the results were disappointing.
    Can anyone tell me if there is a forum were I can talked to people about doing arrangements for me? I need them for recording and performance.
    Thanks,
    Brian

If you're going to be doing a lot of this throughout your career, it would probably pay to invest some time in learning to orchestrate yourself. Otherwise you are going to invest a lot of money in paying other people to do work that you almost certainly have the fundamental aptitude to do yourself, and you may not like their results. I had a personal bad experience a few years ago, paying someone do make a CD for me, but who put the bassoon in the wrong octave (giving me a lot of final 6/4 chords) and refused to fix it.

I didn't have any orchestration training during music studies, either, but am finding that I pick it up very rapidly. The standard orchestration texts will tell you what the standard instrument combinations are. See Poolman's recent mini-review of orchestration texts and subsequent discussion on this forum.

Go Back to forum