• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Holy merde! - possibly.

Share/Bookmark

Holy merde! - possibly.

whoa!

http://www.wizoo.com/index.php?id=7...1&L=2&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=17&tx_ttnews[backPid]=64

ps - sorry I can't get the link to work - can anyone else? - it is an article about Hans Zimmerman's sampling project.
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

www.davetubaking.com

Banned

Re: Holy merde! - possibly.

tried to copy the url in here, but doesn't work as well. but you can easely find the interview on wizoos news-page.

Thumbs up Re: Holy merde! - possibly.

Here is the exact link:

HansZimmer_wizoo

Very very interesting.....

Roberto

Just when I thought there wasn't room for any more orchestral libraries!!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Just when I thought there wasn't room for any more orchestral libraries!!

Frank
    Yeah - but we're never going to see that - are we?

Are we? Are we?

No, we're never going to see it. But they announced it for two reasons - Hans gets a library programmed for him by Wizoo out of it, and Wizoo gets the exposure and prestige of working with Hans Zimmer.

You know, the more options available the better, but are people really hurting for orchestra samples now with QLSO, Vienna, and Garritan Pro coming up? The libraries today can fool most of the people most of the time (excluding afficionados or musicians), so aren't we at the point where we've always wanted to be? Sure, we'll get a little more expressive control as the years go on, but I sense we're at the plateau of orchestral samples for some time.

Frankly, I don't understand the reactions. All he's said is that they're sampling a new orchestra and Wizoo is doing the programming. That article says nothing about what they're doing differently.

Why is that important?

And if you were a sample library developer, would you spend billions of man-hours doing a private orchestra for someone just to get a celebrity endorsement for your other products?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbozo
    No, we're never going to see it. But they announced it for two reasons - Hans gets a library programmed for him by Wizoo out of it, and Wizoo gets the exposure and prestige of working with Hans Zimmer.
    Don't understand that at all - I see your point and you're probably right - but that seems OTT to me. It's easy to get a little excited by the mere mention of the LSO (which I did for a nanno second).

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbozo
    You know, the more options available the better, but are people really hurting for orchestra samples now with QLSO, Vienna, and Garritan Pro coming up? The libraries today can fool most of the people most of the time (excluding afficionados or musicians), so aren't we at the point where we've always wanted to be? Sure, we'll get a little more expressive control as the years go on, but I sense we're at the plateau of orchestral samples for some time.
    Libraries can fool the generall listener, although in my opinion, 'being fooled' to the general listener probably has no meaning to them in the first place. We are at 'a' point of where we want to be, but we'll never be 'at' the point - ever when dealing with samples.

But again, I have to agree with you - sample libraries have hit a plateau and for some time actually.

If someone could produce just one thing from my wish list I would be most grateful - expressivo violins, violas - p and mp with legato- and NOT perfect, if you get my meaning. After that, I'll think of something else - and so on. Hence my meaning re: 'at' the place.

Best wishes

PR

Frankly, I don't understand the reactions. All he's said is that they're sampling a new orchestra and Wizoo is doing the programming. That article says nothing about what they're doing differently.

Why is that important?
    Hehe Nick....because overreacting is this forum's middle name. In case you haven't noticed, everytime there's even a minor announcement of something new, people post replies like "Wow this is amazing" or "I can't wait another minute for this" or "I'm gonna sell my car so that I can buy this" etc. I guess blame it on the consumeristic nature of people, even if the product is essentially the same tool they are already using, people want to believe that somehow it will revolutionize their lives.

I think part of the reactions revolve around the perception that somehow the London Symphony will be involved in this. I find this scenario to be highly unlikely, and for good reason.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

'being fooled' to the general listener probably has no meaning to them in the first place.
    I completely agree, PR. Even if they knew (were told in the opening screen credits) that the soundtrack was entirely from a sampled orchestra they simply would not care, with the exception of a small but not insignificant number of purists.

The only people who really DO care are the musicians, conductors, engineers and support staff who lose income and the film studios, who could save millions. Only the various unions are in a position to prevent single composer/synth orchestras from becoming the norm, IMHO.

But a Hans Zimmer lib? SO? Back in the DX7 days, I used to give away my home-edited live gig patch bank to anyone who wanted it. ost of them would return to say, "Are you sure that's the right bank? It doesn't sound the same when I play it." Of course not, you don't play like I do, harmonically or velocity-wise. So a new HZ lib is great for him, but look what is already here - there really is no need for another custom, high-end lib except to say, "I have one too..."

New sample libs need to be the hard-to-find folk and ethnic instruments, or early music (serpent, krummhorn) to get my attention.

And they ALL still need to be re-done with some kind of physical modelling component to be really natural-sounding. That's where the next generation of realism is to be expected...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum