• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stupidity in NASCAR

Share/Bookmark

Stupidity in NASCAR

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I'm no fan of NASCAR, but saw this on CNN and am amazed that a racer would complain that a female's lower weight gives her an advantage. Too bad if it does...there are no rules about the driver's weight. I think this clown is afraid of being out driven by a female.

I hope she wins...she earned her place there.

Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    CONCORD, N.C. (AP) -- Robby Gordon accused Danica Patrick of having an unfair advantage in the Indianapolis 500 and said Saturday he will not compete in the race again unless the field is equalized.

Gordon, a former open-wheel driver now in NASCAR, contends that Patrick is at an advantage over the rest of the competitors because she only weighs 100 pounds. Because all the cars weigh the same, Patrick's is lighter on the race track.

"The lighter the car, the faster it goes," Gordon said. "Do the math. Put her in the car at her weight, then put me or Tony Stewart in the car at 200 pounds and our car is at least 100 pounds heavier.

"I won't race against her until the IRL does something to take that advantage away."

The Indy Racing League does not consider the weight of the driver in its race specifications. The car has to weigh at least 1,525 pounds before the fuel and driver are added, and teams in Indy have estimated that Patrick will gain close to 1 mph in speed because of her small stature.

Although her rivals in Sunday's race have said she doesn't have a huge advantage, pole-sitter Tony Kanaan told reporters he would like the Indy Racing League to look into the issue.

"Right off the bat, a guy my size is spotting her 105 pounds," Gordon said. "That's the reason she's so much faster."
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Re: Stupidity in NASCAR

You're right Wes. It would be funny if she won. Someone should tell the guy to lose some weight if he's worried about it. Maybe we should have a women's league and a men's league though, since that is how other "sports" are. NASCAR is an expensive game. It's extremely popular, but just don't try to tell me it's a sport. Does it take a lot of skill? Yes. Is it a sport? No. I won't even go in to what I think about the Earnhardt family. THE INTIMIDATOR!! Give me a break. How stupid.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

While I do agree that NASCAR is pretty stupid, you've got the wrong racing league. You're acutally talking about the IndyCar series (don't ask me why i know this...). I personal don't think that it's real racing unless there are turns that aren't part of a giant oval...
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tgfoo
    While I do agree that NASCAR is pretty stupid, you've got the wrong racing league. You're acutally talking about the IndyCar series (don't ask me why i know this...). I personal don't think that it's real racing unless there are turns that aren't part of a giant oval...
    Oops! The driver in question is the stupid one, though I don't care for the sport.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

I thinks it's wonderful news. Many people had assumed that NASCAR had a very conservative culture; this news shows that it is the most progressive of sports. We are moving toward a more equitable society. I hope to see a future where tall basketball players have to shoot from farther away than short ones, and where weight is not an issue. If extra weight is added, perhaps in the form of a vest, to make total player weight constant, results will be more equitable for many different athletes: running backs, gymnasts, long distance runners, you name it.

Paul,

As others said, this article has nothing to do with NASCAR. The article is about the IRL (Indy Racing League).

Here's a quick primer:

* NASCAR - US based; drive on ovals; have bodies that resemble road cars; big, heavy, old technology. Big event: Daytona 500. Extremely popular, especially in the southeast US.

* IRL - US based; drive on ovals; open wheels and wings; limited technology, but big factory involvement ($$$). Big event: Indy 500 (tomorrow). Lost popularity after split with CART.

* Champ Car (was CART) - US based; mostly road & street courses, some ovals; open wheels and wings; half the weight of NASCAR, tubocharged. Big event: Long Beach GP. Also lost popularity after the split.

* Formula 1 - Global, but mostly European; road courses; open wheels and wings; the pinnalce of technology, with amazing budgets to match - super light. Bit event: Monaco. Seven time world champion Michael Schumacher has been the top paid athlete in the world for nearly a decade.

Speaking of which, this morning's European Grand Prix (Formula 1) was very dramatic. The current rules mandate that a single set of tires must last the entire event, unless there is a safety issue. The guy in first place had flat-spotted his right front tire, and it started looking bad with four laps to go. The second place guy was just over four seconds behind and gaining fast. On the very last lap, the leader's tire vibration caused the suspension to fail, and he went sailing off into the safety (sand) trap. From first place to no points in an instant.

He could have replaced the tire for safety reasons, but would have given up the lead and likley come in fourth. As it was, he was one lap short. You don't have to be a racing fan to sense the drama in the final laps of that race.

-JF

Wink Re: Stupidity in NASCAR

Jon: Keep your facts off my opinions.

After reading this thread I have a loud voice in my head, like I'm at a monster truck rally.....

SUNDAY!!!!, SUNDAY!!!!, SUNDAY!!!!....ONE NIGHT, ONE NIGHT ONLY...BRING YOUR FAMILY, BRING YOUR FRIENDS...BE THERE!!!!, BE THERE!!!!, BE THERE!!!!,....5 DOLLARS AT THE DOOR, THAT'S RIGHT! ONLY 5 DOLLARS.....
    YOU HAVE TO BUY THE WHOLE SEAT, BUT... YOU'LL... ONLY NEED THE EDDDGE....
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    After reading this thread I have a loud voice in my head, like I'm at a monster truck rally.....

SUNDAY!!!!, SUNDAY!!!!, SUNDAY!!!!....ONE NIGHT, ONE NIGHT ONLY...BRING YOUR FAMILY, BRING YOUR FRIENDS...BE THERE!!!!, BE THERE!!!!, BE THERE!!!!,....5 DOLLARS AT THE DOOR, THAT'S RIGHT! ONLY 5 DOLLARS.....
    YOU HAVE TO BUY THE WHOLE SEAT, BUT... YOU'LL... ONLY NEED THE EDDDGE....
    HA! That's great...
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blankenau
    Jon: Keep your facts off my opinions.

He, he...

BTW, Formula 1 is the most weight sensitive series this side of go karts. They've been weighing drivers and compensating for more than a decade. They also have minimum cockpit size requirements, lest the sport be contested by people who are too small to be jockeys.

-JF

Go Back to forum