• Register
  • Help

Topic: CME UF8 MIDI Controller - Anyone Try It Yet??

Share/Bookmark

CME UF8 MIDI Controller - Anyone Try It Yet??

My aging Yamaha KX88 looks like it is at the end of the road. In searching around for a new controller, I came across the new CME UF8 controller. I don't have ready access to a store that carries these so I was wondering - anyone tried it yet? I'm told the action is really good, but I'd like some other thoughts on that, especially from piano people. The cosmetics are a bit bizarre - what's with the querty keyboard design on the top? Hoping that isn't a reflection of the engineering...

There is also a rumor that M-Audio has heard the complaints about the action on its top end controller and is working on something better. Does anyone know about this at all, and have any idea of the time frame?

Thanks!

Colin

Re: CME UF8 MIDI Controller - Anyone Try It Yet??

I am using it... well, for like 3 months already! Well guess since it's made in China and I am living in Hong Kong and it's sold like everywhere here.

I won't say it's a perfect or dream keyboard but it has all the nice features already you need on a control keyboard.

The touch is really great though... it's rather sensitive to velocity, much more sensitive than the M-Audio 88-key keyboard (I forgot the model number but since a friend of mine bought it too and I tested it as well). It will be nice if you are sequencing mostly for classical/orchestral work which your samples are of multi-velocity. For the cons side... it might take a while for you to get used to the touching as since it's way too sensitive, especially when you are not a keyboard player (like me! )

But it's a great buy IMHO consider it's really cheap!

BTW, the QWERTY-style logo on the keyboard does nothing, I am not sure if that's a design or meant to be something too LOL!

Also, it's one of the few 88-keyboard that comes with a pedal too! so it's really a great buy hehe
    Dell Precision T3500 (Xeon W3520, 12GB RAM) / Windows 7 x64 / Sonar 8 / VE Pro / WIVI 2.3 / Kontakt 4 / G-Player 1.2

I bought one and promptly returned it.
    I need more piano-like action. It was much too light and bouncy for me, and I didn't care for it.
    This is not to say it's bad - just not for me - my search goes on......

Overall the build quality seemed good and the feature set is nice. I would be open to buying one of the smaller semi-weighted ones as a second board once I'm satisfied with an 88....

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Beethree
    I bought one and promptly returned it.
    I need more piano-like action. It was much too light and bouncy for me, and I didn't care for it.
    This is not to say it's bad - just not for me - my search goes on......

Overall the build quality seemed good and the feature set is nice. I would be open to buying one of the smaller semi-weighted ones as a second board once I'm satisfied with an 88....
    B-3, is it lighter than the Studiologic (Fatar) boards?? I was told it was firmer. I guess either way I'm going to have to hold off until I get to try it sometime. Surely someone will come up with a great controller again soon??

My KX88 action actually became almost ridiculously light the last while - between the wear and a cleaning/lube job a few months ago it lost any resemblance to actual piano feel. And now the electronics are not cutting it...sad to lose the old beast after all these years.

Colin

Clink, what is wrong with your KX-88?
    dpDan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Clink, what is wrong with your KX-88?
    dpDan
    Dan,

This has been such a pain, I hesitate to go into it. However, maybe it is worth discussing - I'm still not 100% sure what is going wrong with my system.

I am experiencing some stuck notes playing live with Cubase SX2.2 and HALion/HALion player. I thought it might be software related but looking in the forums, I couldn't see much to suggest people were having the same issues. I was able to borrow a Roland RD600 to do some testing - this almost completely eliminated the problem. I then turned off hyperthreading and CPU overclocking and that completely solved it as near as I can tell. Re-testing with the KX88 and no H/T or O/C, I still had some stuck notes. So, it does seem to point to the KX88.

The wildest thing is that I have used SX for quite a while with this same setup - KX88, Asus P4C800E deluxe, P4 3.2 Prescott, 2 GB RAM, 2 SATA HD's, M-Audio 2496 audio card, ATI All-in-Wonder and NEVER had a stuck note I can recall. However, I was using Kontakt and GS3 with Cubase. GS3 is long gone so now I just have Kontakt 2...and HALion. The stuck notes show up in Cubase when I record, but do not play in Kontakt...only in HALion! So, I think I may have had the problem all along, but just didn't notice it as a result of differing sampler behavior.

The action on my KX88 is really starting to soften up anyway, so it may be time to move on. What a pain in the butt these issues can be though. If anyone else has run into anything like this and has other ideas, I'm all ears...

Quote Originally Posted by Clink
    Dan,

This has been such a pain, I hesitate to go into it. However, maybe it is worth discussing - I'm still not 100% sure what is going wrong with my system.

I am experiencing some stuck notes playing live with Cubase SX2.2 and HALion/HALion player. I thought it might be software related but looking in the forums, I couldn't see much to suggest people were having the same issues. I was able to borrow a Roland RD600 to do some testing - this almost completely eliminated the problem. I then turned off hyperthreading and CPU overclocking and that completely solved it as near as I can tell. Re-testing with the KX88 and no H/T or O/C, I still had some stuck notes. So, it does seem to point to the KX88.

The wildest thing is that I have used SX for quite a while with this same setup - KX88, Asus P4C800E deluxe, P4 3.2 Prescott, 2 GB RAM, 2 SATA HD's, M-Audio 2496 audio card, ATI All-in-Wonder and NEVER had a stuck note I can recall. However, I was using Kontakt and GS3 with Cubase. GS3 is long gone so now I just have Kontakt 2...and HALion. The stuck notes show up in Cubase when I record, but do not play in Kontakt...only in HALion! So, I think I may have had the problem all along, but just didn't notice it as a result of differing sampler behavior.

The action on my KX88 is really starting to soften up anyway, so it may be time to move on. What a pain in the butt these issues can be though. If anyone else has run into anything like this and has other ideas, I'm all ears...
    I had stuck notes and crashes on Nuendo 3 and it turned out to be caused by the MIDI interface; Midisport 4x4. Worth checking anyway.

Daryl

Go Back to forum