• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dobro Sample?

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Dobro Sample?

OK, I just heard a Jazz piece on Jazz FM 91.1 out of Canada and low and behold the guitarist was playing a Dobro. Any chance of that in there Mr. Tom? Oh Tom? Tommy can you hear me?
    Styxx

Re: Sample?

i love the dobro...yes, let's have that too

Not in the JBB collection. Isn't dobro more of a blues instrument rather than a standard jazz instrument?

Gary Garritan

Gary

When you said "not in the JBB collection" how carefully were you choosing your words?

Chet

Re: Dobro Sample?

Quote Originally Posted by chet reinhardt
    Gary

When you said "not in the JBB collection" how carefully were you choosing your words?

Chet
    Google had 'Journal of Biomedicine & Biotechnology', John Brown's Body, Jesus & Buddha as brothers...how about...

Jazz Big Band!

Gary

Well if you do ever decide to do a Blues collection you will once again make it easy for me to decide to purchase.

Chet

PS: By creating GPO, this forum, and the Academy you've had a huge impact on the quality of my music. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Not in the JBB collection. Isn't dobro more of a blues instrument rather than a standard jazz instrument?

Gary Garritan
    I thought so as well until I heard it being used in content of Jazz on 91.1 Jazz FM Canada. I've heard more instruments that are normally not considered "standard Jazz" instruments being used more and more lately. What I understand that is happening is jazz musicians are experimenting with other instruments out side of the "standard" for more flavor. Violin for one and tuba on another I've heard. Usually, I hear these recording while driving to and from work so it is hard to jot down the titles and composers or bands. Just like the marimba is not really considered a "standard jazz" instrument, it has made it's way into the genre. Latin percussion instruments have made their way as well. Why, there is even a new jazz group sporting a whole string section now. A good example of a non
    "standard Jazz" instrument is the Banjo virtuoso Bela Fleck and The Flecktones in modern jazz. Actually, I've seen Bela Fleck on numerous occasions playing "Classical" pieces as well on banjo! If you have never experienced Bela Fleck you owe it to your self to give a listen. The lines aren't so bold as they were fifty years ago. Jazz is evolutionary as well as other genres.
    The Dobro is no big deal. I really meant, Pop n' Fresh "Doughboy"!
    Styxx

Oh, I'm sure *every* instrument has had its moment in the spotlight of a jazz novelty piece!

Dobro (and "resonator guitar") would be a great instrument to create in conjunction with a convolution impulse response.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Thumbs up Re: Sample?

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I thought so as well until I heard it being used in content of Jazz on 91.1 Jazz FM Canada. I've heard more instruments that are normally not considered "standard Jazz" instruments being used more and more lately. What I understand that is happening is jazz musicians are experimenting with other instruments out side of the "standard" for more flavor. Violin for one and tuba on another I've heard. Usually, I hear these recording while driving to and from work so it is hard to jot down the titles and composers or bands. Just like the marimba is not really considered a "standard jazz" instrument, it has made it's way into the genre. Latin percussion instruments have made their way as well. Why, there is even a new jazz group sporting a whole string section now. A good example of a non
    "standard Jazz" instrument is the Banjo virtuoso Bela Fleck and The Flecktones in modern jazz. Actually, I've seen Bela Fleck on numerous occasions playing "Classical" pieces as well on banjo! If you have never experienced Bela Fleck you owe it to your self to give a listen. The lines aren't so bold as they were fifty years ago. Jazz is evolutionary as well as other genres.
    The Dobro is no big deal. I really meant, Pop n' Fresh "Doughboy"!
    Listen to "Prayer for the Wild Things" by Paul Winter. In addition to his soprano sax, you'll hear heckelphone, contrabass clarinet, bassoon, cello, English horn, French horn, and pipe organ. Not your average jazz band

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Wink Re: Sample?

Quote Originally Posted by GDG
    Listen to "Prayer for the Wild Things" by Paul Winter. In addition to his soprano sax, you'll hear heckelphone, contrabass clarinet, bassoon, cello, English horn, French horn, and pipe organ. Not your average jazz band

Grant
    Yeah....exactly! Been there done that ... great work!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum