• Register
  • Help

Topic: I would like to know if....

Share/Bookmark

I would like to know if....

Being relatively new at all this stuff I would like to know if:

1) when the new 64 bit stuff (WinXP64, Sonar 64, Konact 64, etc.) comes out, will these sample libraries still work in the new apps or will we all have to buy NEW libraries to work in 64 bit environments?

2) are the instruments in GPO actually all in "C", ie, when I load up a Bb Trumpet, or any transposed instrument, and play the C key an octave above middle C, do I get a C or a Bb? The reason I ask this is because I'm confused about mockups using published scores such as small chamber symphonies by Hayden, Mozart, etc. and how I have to deal with inputting things. Do I have to transpose as I input them or just read the score and play what's there, or what do I have to do to get everything to come out right so that it all plays back with the right notes for all the instruments?

Thanks,
    Tom

Re: I would like to know if....

Tom,

Don't know the answer to your first question. But everything in GPO is concert pitch. If it was anything else it would be unusable. If your goal is to do mockups of existing classical pieces, I think your best bet would be to use a notation program. Have your file set up with the proper instrumentation and correct transposition for each instrument. That way when your viewing your transposed score and you input a "C" in the Bb clarinet line, a Bb concert is actually what's entered and will play back correctly.

Jeff

There will be no need to throw away the old libs, when 64-bits comes out. It's a bit different for GPO and other libs that come in bundled players - they will need to provide player upgrades.

There's no way that a sampler developer will not support the old libs, and there's no technical reason that would make it difficult.

-JF

Hi Tom,

If you want to play from a score directly into a sequencer, and you have a little trouble pressing that old mental transpose button in your brain, you can usually do it within the sequencer. Then go ahead and play that clarinet in its written key and by gosh it will come out all transposed for you. You can also do this with most keyboards.

If you use, say Overture, the notation program that comes with GPO, you can set up the program so that you will enter the notes as they are in the score and they will be played back at concert pitch. When you save the file as a midi file, it will remain in concert pitch.

Hope this helps,

Karl

Smile Re: I would like to know if....

Quote Originally Posted by TomcatII
    Being relatively new at all this stuff I would like to know if:

1) when the new 64 bit stuff (WinXP64, Sonar 64, Konact 64, etc.) comes out, will these sample libraries still work in the new apps or will we all have to buy NEW libraries to work in 64 bit environments?

2) are the instruments in GPO actually all in "C", ie, when I load up a Bb Trumpet, or any transposed instrument, and play the C key an octave above middle C, do I get a C or a Bb? The reason I ask this is because I'm confused about mockups using published scores such as small chamber symphonies by Hayden, Mozart, etc. and how I have to deal with inputting things. Do I have to transpose as I input them or just read the score and play what's there, or what do I have to do to get everything to come out right so that it all plays back with the right notes for all the instruments?

Thanks,
    Tom
    The 64 bit operating system should still be able to read old files. 64 bit just means that it can address much more memory, and that it can handle larger instructions. I don't think there will be any problems on that account. The applications that play the sounds will probably need upgrading to take advantage of the extra power, but sample files are mainly data.

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Looking forward to the 64-bit days close upon us!
    Loads of RAM!

Unless GPO can use the same kind of programming as GigaStudio where it doesn't need so much RAM...?
    (What's the downside to that method?)
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

BlueMax- GPO actually does have a patch for Direct-From-Disk (DFD) streaming. I haven't used it, though, so I don't know how well it works. On a related note, has anyone used it and know how well it works? For example, does it work alright as long as you don't need to play in new parts in real time?

Also, for someone more technologically knowledgable -
    I happen to have an Athlon 64, although I'm running regular old 32 bit Windows. If, at some point, I move to a 64 bit operating system (presumably Windows) and use GPO in it, would there be a performance increase (even though I'm still on the same actual hardware)?

Thanks to everyone and especially to Karl. That is the information I was looking for. So now I'll make myself a card with all the transposing instruments and their associated intervals, setup in Sonar 4, transpose where it needs to go and then play the score in. Just what I needed to know how to do.

Tom

Go Back to forum