• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sampled Clavinet for Gigastudio?

Share/Bookmark

Sampled Clavinet for Gigastudio?

I've been wanting a Clavinet sound for my Giga-based rig for ages, for those retro Stevie Wonder sounds. I'd put off looking too hard however as I'd been patiently waiting for the release of Scarbee's Clavinet D6 library.

Now I'm disappointed to find that Thomas has decided not to release the library in Giga format, as originally planned, but only in Halion with a bundled player. As all my other keys sounds are in Giga however, it's easier for me, routing-wise and so on, to put the Clav there as well.

Does anybody know of any other decent Clav library, in either Giga format or something that could be imported to it?

Cheers.

Re: Sampled Clavinet for Gigastudio?

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    I've been wanting a Clavinet sound for my Giga-based rig for ages, for those retro Stevie Wonder sounds. I'd put off looking too hard however as I'd been patiently waiting for the release of Scarbee's Clavinet D6 library.

Now I'm disappointed to find that Thomas has decided not to release the library in Giga format, as originally planned, but only in Halion with a bundled player. As all my other keys sounds are in Giga however, it's easier for me, routing-wise and so on, to put the Clav there as well.

Does anybody know of any other decent Clav library, in either Giga format or something that could be imported to it?

Cheers.
    I'm looking at a D6 right now. It sits here right besides me screaming "Sample me!!!! Please, please sample me hard!!!!! Right here and now!!!!!!"
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Quote Originally Posted by Worra
    "Sample me!!!! Please, please sample me hard!!!!! Right here and now!!!!!!"
    Don´t forget to sample the talking of your D6. ;-)

Mor me the best clavinet comes free with Logic.

Chris Hein

Quote Originally Posted by Worra
    I'm looking at a D6 right now. It sits here right besides me screaming "Sample me!!!! Please, please sample me hard!!!!! Right here and now!!!!!!"
    Listen to it Worra, listen. C'mon, you don't have the heart to disappoint it, do you?

Hi,

Why is it a problem to use it as a Virtual Instrument? Do you really ONLY use GigaStudio??? No Virtual Instruments?

Sounds a bit limited to me.

The Scarbee Vintage Keyboards are working just like any other Virtual instrument. You can just load it in your sequencer - as i presume you use?
    Thomas Hansen Skarbye
    Singer, Bass Player, Composer
    & Creative Director, SCARBEE

www.scarbee.com & www.myspace.com/scarbee

I don't know of any, but in the meantime, check out Big Tick's free VST, "TickyClav". VERY cool sound.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Thomas,

I don't know what was posted/emailed first but I hope it's clearer from my email to you earlier today why I want to stay in Giga if possible.

I'm not criticising your choice of delivery - that's your perogative as a developer and businessman, and I respect your reasons for it. But by the same token, my rig is my own and how I organise the software routing within it is up to me, subject to a number of different factors. For this application, I want something in Giga.

You need to accept that when you choose to stop supporting a format, you will lose some customers. Once again, that's not a criticism, just a fact. I'm still very happy that I managed to get my hands on your Rhodes and Wurly before you did so!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCARBEE
    Hi,

Why is it a problem to use it as a Virtual Instrument? Do you really ONLY use GigaStudio??? No Virtual Instruments?

Sounds a bit limited to me.

The Scarbee Vintage Keyboards are working just like any other Virtual instrument. You can just load it in your sequencer - as i presume you use?
    I prefer to work this way, too. Absolutely, honestly, I prefer to work with GigaStudio. I love it. I like its responsiveness of feel, I like the fact that I can completely mix and match instruments from separate manufacturers down to the sample level. I work far more efficiently with GigaStudio's monolithic design than many different virtual instruments contained in a sequencer. I like the redundancy of having the sampling taking place in a separate monolithic environment, and I like being able to maintain a loaded template of samples when I change sequences. There are very powerful reasons this is preferable in some environments.

I like being able to use every ounce of the sequencer's power for audio tracks, MIDI, and DSP. At no time is this more critical than when working against Video, which is stealing CPU and disk bandwidth as well. This can really make the sequencer drag down, and it becomes very frustrating to deal with a lagging system.

There are also considerations of flexibility in end use.

Especially with GigaStudio 3.0, just simply crazy amazing things can be done with your previous libraries. One of the most beautiful effects I have heard on the Rhodes, for instance, is to attach acoustic piano resonance models to it with GigaPulse. And those possibilities are as wide and vast as someone's imagination. Also, there is the possibility to completely re-design the instruments to personal specification.

I respect you a great deal, and have nothing but gratitude for your work and your generosity to the community, so please take my comments in that light. I just think that there are very good reasons why some people really want to work with GigaStudio.

And of course, it goes without saying that you have every right to release or not release a library on whatever platform you choose. This goes without saying. I think everyone understands the math behind Romplers vs. Sample Libraries, and that everyone understands the piracy situation.

But the math and the piracy do not mean that sample libraries and samplers do not offer their own distinct advantages, and it is not a matter of a person lacking flexibility, but simply preferring to work that way.

You have been one of the finest and most forward-thinking developers of sample libraries, and certainly people will miss having you as a developer of those libraries. It is only a testament to the quality of your work.

Thanks Bruce, that's more or less what I wrote to Thomas privately. Especially the bit about being able to design custom instruments down to the sample level.

But if it's OK with everyone, I'd rather this not become a general discussion/argument about the merits of Giga vs all-in-one sample players. We all know the arguments for both sides, and we know what a sensitive subject it is, and how easy it can arouse strong feelings on both sides. I know Thomas's reasons for discontinuing Giga support, and he knows my reasons for wanting to use Giga for this. Regardless of whether either of us agree with the other, we'll just have to accept that situatiion.

So the question at hand remains: anyone know of a decent Clavinet library in Giga format, or in a format that could reasonably easily be imported into Giga?

It doesn't even need to be that good. I only need it for a few songs, and I can do stuff in the effects chain to make it more interesting. But I need that basic recognisable Clav sound to start with.

You can download 4 sets of D6 Clav samples at Wizoosound:

http://www.wizoosounds.com/cgi-bin/W...1.0.33.9.2.3.1

Go Back to forum