• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: How to use modwheel expression on samples that have none?

Share/Bookmark

How to use modwheel expression on samples that have none?

A crucial thing for me is to be able to use the mod wheel for a more realistic performance.. a lot of samples have this dynamic control built into the samples, e.g. Garritan strings' "EXP" samples. However, some samples don't have this. I understand due to technical limitations, the VSL perf_leg samples can't do this. So I was wondering if, in Sonar 4, I could somehow bind the mod wheel on a per-channel basis, to control the MIDI volume, rather than send a modwheel control signal. I was going through the Sonar manual last night and didn't see anything that stood out, but surely there must be a way to do this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: How to use modwheel expression on samples that have none?

Sam,

It really depends on your sampler, if you are using Kontakt it would be rediculously easy - simply add a MOD to your amplifier strip in Kontakt, tell it to control volume and link it to your Mod Wheel CC.

I don't know how its done in GigaStudio/HAL cause I don't use those.

If you are using GS/HAL - you could find which CC is controlling volume for those instruments and just copy and paste the mod wheel data in Sonar from your mod wheel channel to the volume channel.

Your best option is redirecting it in your sampler, but you would need someone involved with GS3 or HAL to help if you don't have Kontakt.

If you do have Kontakt and need help doing this, I will walk you through it over the phone. Just drop me a PM with your number.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Nope, I use Giga3.

But I don't see how which sampler I use matters. My sequencer should have the ability to change what MIDI signal is sent by any particular controller on my keyboard, no?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Yeah, that's where I said, copy it in Sonar from your mod-wheel lane to your volume lane...

I don't think Sonar can do what you want (remapping CC data) in real time - but I'll bet one of Markleford's plug-ins could - do a search for his user name here, find his site and then DL the appropriate midi plug in (remapping CC data in real time).

EDIT: The reason I brought up your sampler is I was trying to make it a permenant modification to your instrument patches so it would always work that way. What you are doing with this one project in SOnar would only fix it for this one project. You can easily assign the mod-wheel CC to control the volume in GS3, I'm just not positive I could explain it in a post (as I don't work in GS3).
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Sam, to do what you're describing with pure volume, I would use CC11 (Expression) for that. Just add a CC11 envelope, or set a knob controller to CC11, and you're all set.

With Giga 3.0, you could easily remap any ensemble patch you wanted to crossfade with the Mod Wheel like GOS. Just open up a GOS patch, see how it's done, and apply that to whatever you want. You can even do it with VSL legato now, although those instruments would get huge very quickly. Ditto with Kontakt. There is very little in the way of practical restrictions on mapping in either one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Sam, to do what you're describing with pure volume, I would use CC11 (Expression) for that. Just add a CC11 envelope, or set a knob controller to CC11, and you're all set.
    Boy, I really need to ditch my keyboard. It's an old Ensoniq workstation, it has no knobs/faders/nothing. Just a mod wheel and a pitch bend wheel.

I suppose I need to grab a decent MIDI controller some time soon, so I can assign knobs and faders to different controllers.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Then map the pitch wheel to Expression. GarageBand's Orchestra Jam Pack uses the pitch wheel for volume; at first I thought that being spring-loaded would make that a problem, but in fact it works fine.

It's nice having more faders, but you don't *need* them.

Switch to Cubase SX... There's something called input transformator (for each midi channel) that will do exactly what you're asking, plus you get a more useful sequencer for hardcore orchestral work.

Quote Originally Posted by Maraxalamanta
    Switch to Cubase SX... There's something called input transformator (for each midi channel) that will do exactly what you're asking, plus you get a more useful sequencer for hardcore orchestral work.
    In what other ways is Cubase SX more useful for orchestral work?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Sam, there are new VSL Gigastudio 3 .art files free to registered VSL users that provide the modwheel Blend instruments for all performance legato VSL instruments. I think this is what you're looking for.

Best,
    Jay

Go Back to forum