• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Considering a secondary computer...how to set up?

Share/Bookmark

Considering a secondary computer...how to set up?

Looking into probably getting this little guy. It's 12.9"L x 8.4"W x 7.87"H (all together now: "awww"). Space is a concern in my case, so I'd like to get something very small yet powerful. This sucker can house an A64 CPU, which is nice, and I can drop two 1GB sticks in it, and an Audiophile card, and I'm all set to go. Oh, and of course a KVM switch to switch between the tiny box and my main desktop.

The question is, if this new box is my standalone Giga3 box, how do I network it with my main computer which runs Sonar? Does GS3 Orchestra come with the software to let you network it? Obviously, there needs to be some "magical" MIDI ports that Sonar can see, and whenever it sends signals through those ports, it goes over the LAN to the Giga box.

I know this is child's play for everyone But I've been working on just one machine for years. I think I might be ready to have a separate dedicated Giga machine now.

Thanks!
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: Considering a secondary computer...how to set up?

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    Looking into probably getting this little guy. It's 12.9"L x 8.4"W x 7.87"H (all together now: "awww"). Space is a concern in my case, so I'd like to get something very small yet powerful. This sucker can house an A64 CPU, which is nice, and I can drop two 1GB sticks in it, and an Audiophile card, and I'm all set to go. Oh, and of course a KVM switch to switch between the tiny box and my main desktop.

The question is, if this new box is my standalone Giga3 box, how do I network it with my main computer which runs Sonar? Does GS3 Orchestra come with the software to let you network it? Obviously, there needs to be some "magical" MIDI ports that Sonar can see, and whenever it sends signals through those ports, it goes over the LAN to the Giga box.

I know this is child's play for everyone But I've been working on just one machine for years. I think I might be ready to have a separate dedicated Giga machine now.

Thanks!
    You have two differnt routes to consider. Firstly you can connect the two computers with the usual audio/MIDI cables. Secondly you can do it all over a network using GigaTeleport. If neither of these is what you are after then do a mixture and send the MIDI over the network (maybe with MIDIoverLAN) and return the audio in the traditional way. Of couse the beauty with GT is that you don't need an audio card for the slave computer at all.
    If you are using XP Pro then I don't think that you even need the KVM switch...!

Daryl

Wow, no audio card needed in the Giga box if I use GigaTeleport? Won't GS3 complain when I install it that no GSIF compatible sound card was found?

How does GigaTeleport differ from FXTeleport?

Also, as far as XP Pro.. I dunno about that, I've noticed when I Remote Desktop into a box, the audio card seems to act oddly. For instance, if I Remote to my main computer, and run Sonar, some of the MIDI channels don't work and I can't really do anything. But for just a box running GS3, that might work out OK..
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    How does GigaTeleport differ from FXTeleport?
    GigaTeleport turns Giga into a VST instrument which is then shuttled accross the network. It is a one stop combination of Giga VST adapter and FX Teleport but only works for Giga. If you wanted to "teleport" other VST effects then you should go the latter route. If giga only, then GigaTeleport is the way. I suggest that you have a look at the FX forum for answers to all your questions, just in case it doesn't work with Sonar...!

Daryl

First, I have to get this off my chest:

3 years and 1300 posts and you’re asking this question, that gets answered almost every week?

OK, sorry…

Whether you go with a hardware hookup or just software, you’re going to want to network the two systems together. Start with that, and download the demo of GigaTeleport. See if it works for you. If you don’t get what you want, buy a sound card. Just think about how many audio channel you’ll need.

I wouldn’t count on getting the help you want on the FX forum. MAX, the developer, has virtually disappeared.

I'd say the Giga Teleport route is the nicest, since this would also give you the option of running giga on both systems thus being able to load more samples (should this be something you need of course).

Actually, every option allows running giga on both systems

good luck with teleport. i gave it good try but sould'nt seem to get it to work in a acceptable manner, although some peolple have had good results try before you buy. lets us know how it goes

As posted already on this forum, make sure you use a switch, and not a router with teleport.

You also might look into using TightVNC instead of XP remote desktop.

And, if you want to have some geek fun, try a proof of concept using LinuxSampler

Why a switch instead of a router? What exactly *is* a switch anyway and how does it differ from a router?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Go Back to forum