• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: jazz band question

Share/Bookmark

Question jazz band question

Hello Gary,

first of all, thanks for creating such great libraries! I am buying GPO this week because of the quality of sound and expressive potential even though I own a higher priced library.

My question is: on the Jazz Band collection PDF it states that the saxaphone collection is comprehensive. Will there be a basic cross section (ie sop, alt, ten, bari) and will they be suitable for classical styles as well.

Thanks again,

Christiaan

Re: jazz band question

The big band saxes will definently not be suited for classical styles, so I hear. The GPO advanced coming out (I think in July I last heard) will have classical saxophones. The big band saxes really won't sound right in a classical setting.

-Chris

Do you know what saxophones it will have?

Thanks,

Christiaan

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    The big band saxes will definently not be suited for classical styles, so I hear. The GPO advanced coming out (I think in July I last heard) will have classical saxophones. The big band saxes really won't sound right in a classical setting.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by brilohead
    My question is: on the Jazz Band collection PDF it states that the saxaphone collection is comprehensive.
    What PDF file?

Do you know what saxophones it will have?

Thanks,

Christiaan
    Jazz saxes!!
    Probably with a jazzy tone and lots of vibrato (maybe there'll be a control for vib, I really don't know). But Gary says that it absolutely will not work in a classical setting.

-Chris

Probably with a jazzy tone and lots of vibrato (maybe there'll be a control for vib, I really don't know).
    There had better be a control for vibrato, that's a big part of the difference between modern and old school (thirties/forties) players. Big fat vibrato just doesn't cut it in a modern ensemble, except for an effect. And no vibrato on long sustains is likewise not usually how it's done...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Red face Re: jazz band question

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Jazz saxes!!
    Probably with a jazzy tone and lots of vibrato (maybe there'll be a control for vib, I really don't know). But Gary says that it absolutely will not work in a classical setting.

-Chris
    OOPS! I need to be more specific when I ask questions like that. I meant to ask which saxes will be in the GPO advanced (ie soprano, alto, tenor, bari etc).

Also, the PDF of the Jazz band was released some time ago if memory recalls (which it may not and also the pdf may not be available any more) but it is simply the web page about the jazz band on the garritan web site.

Cheers,

Christiaan

OOPS! I need to be more specific when I ask questions like that. I meant to ask which saxes will be in the GPO advanced (ie soprano, alto, tenor, bari etc).

Also, the PDF of the Jazz band was released some time ago if memory recalls (which it may not and also the pdf may not be available any more) but it is simply the web page about the jazz band on the garritan web site.

Cheers,

Christiaan
    OH!
    I don't know. I imagine all four.

-Chris

I remember Gary saying that they'd sampled a Contrabass Sax! I think he also said that there would be sopranino and bass in addition to the standard quartet.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    I remember Gary saying that they'd sampled a Contrabass Sax! I think he also said that there would be sopranino and bass in addition to the standard quartet.
    Dan is right. Below is the contrabass sax we sampled. We'll provide a list of saxes soon.

Go Back to forum