• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Polyphony" question for those who REALLY know Instrument Editor on Giga3

Share/Bookmark

Question "Polyphony" question for those who REALLY know Instrument Editor on Giga3

Hi all,

I have strange polyphony problem with Giga3.04 playing a single two-layers instrument combined from two single one-layer instruments (Layer#1-M.Vitus Strings-Sustain, Layer#2 -Strings- Stacc. controlled by cntr#2 (Breath)). When I play chord progression (3 or more notes in each chord) some sustained notes shut off from sustained chords after about 1sec. Though the first chord in progression sounds OK for as long as I hold it.
    If I play chords with any one-layer instrument - it works fine and it doesn't matter how many notes in the chords.

I know that I could use "stacked instruments" principal but this patch works fine on my old machine with Giga 2.5 and I thought it suppose to work with Giga3.04 with no problems too...

Also: It looks like the problem appears if each instrument being combined has multiple regions, if only one region - there is no problems...

Giga3 bug?
    Have anybody had the same problem? Any idea of what may cause that and if there is any way to fix it?

I have P4- 3.6GHz, 2Gb RAM, 7200RPM HDs, XP SP1, Optimization XP for Gigastudio is done, polyphony in Giga set to 256, Alter Transition Voices - 64

Many thanks,
    Kirill
    Kironmusic productions
    www.kironmusic.com

Re: "Polyphony" question for those who REALLY know Instrument Editor on Giga3

I'm just guessing here, but the issue may be the way the staccato layer is programmed. If a set of samples, across multiple layers (sustain, staccs, etc), are part of the same "Keygroup", then hitting one will cut off the others. I could imagine staccato layers being set to cut off sustains.

In the GigaStudio editor, look at the various single regions, right mouse click 'Properties', and check out their keygroup number. All the samples that are getting turned off inappropriately should have their Keygroup set to 0.

Hope this helps!
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Anyone know if David Govett is going to put out a Gigastudio 3 Mastery CD Tutorial?
    Since they changed the GUI on the instrument editor, I'm a little reluctant to touch it.

Yes he is, but he's currently tied up finishing the help files for Gigapulse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Yes he is, but he's currently tied up finishing the help files for Gigapulse.
    ...which will be released when? I'm dying for that documentaion!!!

Belbin

Released with the standalone version...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Released with the standalone version...
    Bill, are you in a position to know when this will be, and if so, can you tell us?

Daryl

No, sorry. Just passing on what Dave said on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by Alewis
    I'm just guessing here, but the issue may be the way the staccato layer is programmed. If a set of samples, across multiple layers (sustain, staccs, etc), are part of the same "Keygroup", then hitting one will cut off the others. I could imagine staccato layers being set to cut off sustains.

In the GigaStudio editor, look at the various single regions, right mouse click 'Properties', and check out their keygroup number. All the samples that are getting turned off inappropriately should have their Keygroup set to 0.

Hope this helps!
    Andrew,

Thanks for replay.

All the samples have keygr.=0. I think the "keygroup" situation might be the case if sustain notes were cut off from the moment I hit other notes. In my case the cutting off happens in about 1sec after I hit notes, this is why it is strange...

HD problem? But with one-layer instrument I can play basically as many notes at the same time as I want and it works fine...
    I did an experiment: I set ADSR's "release" parameter of the patch to 0 (from default 0.5). Situation improved... Sounds like notes of the next chord are being cut off at the moment when the "release" of previously taken notes comes to complete 0...??? It's hard to believe that the "release" of previously taken notes responsible for the problem.

Does anybody have any idea?

kiron

Kiron,

That is strange. You're not hitting your polyphony limits are you? Is it cutting off at the same 1-sec interval each time? I don't have Miroslav so I have no idea if there are release samples or how the GIG files are structured.

One thing you could try would be eliminating one or both of those Miroslav files. For example, if the sustains are getting cut off when playing the staccs, try swapping out staccs file for something completely random and not Miroslav. Like a synth patch where there are samples attached to each key, so you will at least hear the right notes.

If the sustains are no longer being cut off in that scenario, then you would have identified something about the Miroslav staccs file that is causing this. But if the sustains were still being cut off when you swap out the staccs with the synth, then it could be something either with the sustains file, or your GS3 settings, your computer subsystem (HD throughput, conflicting Windows processes or services, etc), or perhaps more likely, your MIDI sequence.

Somehow I suspect that if you swap out the staccs with something non-Miroslav, the problem would go away.

But even if it didn't, there is something else you could try. As a different test, you could export the raw samples from one single note from both the sustains file and the staccs file. Then, use the GS editor wizard to build a new .GIG file for your staccs note and your sustain note. With this you can load them up into GS and see if the cutoffs are still happening. If the cutoffs stop, then you will know that there was something about one or both of your Miroslav files that was conflicting.

If they still persist, then it most likely is not the .GIG files you have been using. It may be something with your MIDI sequence[r], especially if GS is working well otherwise on that computer.

If you find yourself needing to troubleshoot the incoming MIDI data just before it hits GS, you can do that with the excellent MIDI-OX program (freeware):

http://www.midiox.com/?http://www.mi...om/moxdown.htm
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Go Back to forum