• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: Les Paul inducted to Inventor Hall of Fame

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Orcas Island
    Posts
    11,454

    Les Paul inducted to Inventor Hall of Fame

    According to Newsday, Electric guitar pioneer Les Paul was one of 14 people inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame this year.

    Les Paul invented the solid body electric guitar in 1946, and his Gibson Guitar Corp. model is one of the best-selling instruments in the industry. The 89-year-old Wisconsin native is widely renowned for his recording techniques.


    National Inventors Hall of Fame: http://www.invent.org

    This may make the Prominy Les Paul LPC Guitar Library even more valuable!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Lincoln City, Oregon
    Posts
    194

    Re: Les Paul inducted to Inventor Hall of Fame

    Yea, he invented Sound on Sound recording by persuading Ampex to make a tape recorder to his design. He started doing this in the late 1940's after WWII was over and the "Golden Age" of this country was happening, ie, the period after WWII up until John F. Kennedy was assasinated.

    Ampex is one of those really sad american company stories. At one time they made the best tape recorders in the world and they even invented the video tape recorder but were so short sighted that they couldn't figure out what anyone would want to do with it, that is other than a few TV stations and that wouldn't be much business, so they sold all the patents and ideas to the Japanese, and the rest is history. For a few years Ampex continued to make recording tape, but even that is gone now.

    Tom

  3. #3
    Senior Member Styxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Seneca, NY
    Posts
    11,075

    Thumbs up Re: Les Paul inducted to Inventor Hall of Fame

    Well deserved.
    Styxx

  4. #4

    Re: Les Paul inducted to Inventor Hall of Fame

    Yes, well deserved.

    He played those guitars, too. When he broke his right arm in the late 1940's, he had the doctor set/cast the arm in "playing position".

    This former Les Paul Custom and multi-track tape deck owner is grateful...
    Bill

  5. #5
    Senior Member Styxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West Seneca, NY
    Posts
    11,075

    Re: Les Paul inducted to Inventor Hall of Fame

    Hmm, my twin has an acoustic Gibson guitar labeled "The Gibson" and a number 02 inside. It's fairly old. Not a full size acoustic but old and quite playable. I'll have to ask him more about it. Interestingk, very interestingk!
    Styxx

  6. #6

    Re: Les Paul inducted to Inventor Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Hmm, my twin has an acoustic Gibson guitar labeled "The Gibson" and a number 02 inside. It's fairly old. Not a full size acoustic but old and quite playable. I'll have to ask him more about it. Interestingk, very interestingk!
    Gasp! Choke! Splutter! (Gasp again!)

    You have a twin? There are TWO of you! (Gasp again!) (Splutter twice more!)

    We must put out a contract on the other one. The world isn't ready for two Styxxers!

    LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  7. #7

    Re: Les Paul inducted to Inventor Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by TomcatII
    Yea, he invented Sound on Sound recording by persuading Ampex to make a tape recorder to his design. He started doing this in the late 1940's after WWII was over and the "Golden Age" of this country was happening, ie, the period after WWII up until John F. Kennedy was assasinated.

    Ampex is one of those really sad american company stories. At one time they made the best tape recorders in the world and they even invented the video tape recorder but were so short sighted that they couldn't figure out what anyone would want to do with it, that is other than a few TV stations and that wouldn't be much business, so they sold all the patents and ideas to the Japanese, and the rest is history. For a few years Ampex continued to make recording tape, but even that is gone now.

    Tom
    this is interesting that you bring this Ampex story up, I have used a few Ampex machines.

    A little off topic sorry but, the really sad part is that soon after Ampex was making professional studio equipment, a little Japanese company called TEAC made some reel to reel machines, and even to this day the TEAC A-440 four track reel to reel was well known as the "consumer" machine of choice for home recording enthusists.
    They, "TEAC" realized that "professional" studios would not buy their multi-track machines because nobody would pay to record on a TEAC. So, they came out with similar (if not the same) products and named them TASCAM. They went on to embrace the multitrack consumer "home studio" market with the famous "Porta Studio" 4 track cassette recorders with built in mixer and onboard DOLBY noise reduction. They soon realized that the digital age was upon them, so they embraced that wholeheartedly too. Go figure, they would come out with a state of the art sampler called............... you guessed it, GIGA STUDIO.
    Although it has been a real thrill to watch TEAC grow through the years, it is indeed sad that someone at AMPEX did not have the vision to press on.
    It was really actually very sentimental for me when I brought home my GS3 software and the box clearly stated TEAC. After buying more than a few of their reel to reel tape recorders.

    I just thought I would throw that out there for those who didn't know!
    Thanks Tom for reminding us. Congratulations to Les Paul! WOW!
    What an achievement.
    dpDan

  8. #8

    Smile Re: Les Paul inducted to Inventor Hall of Fame

    Gigastudio was originally called gigasampler created by the texas developer Nemesys. Then Tascam bought them out and created the even more impressive Gigastudio. I think this is right, I'm sure I read that somewhere.

    These ninja's make me nervous.


    OK I just wanted to use the ninja's !

  9. #9

    Re: Les Paul inducted to Inventor Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    They went on to embrace the multitrack consumer "home studio" market with the famous "Porta Studio" 4 track cassette recorders with built in mixer and onboard DOLBY noise reduction.
    Uh, make that onboard DBX noise reduction. The competitor, Fostex, used Dolby and frankly the Portastudio spanked it hard in terms of sound.

  10. #10

    Re: Les Paul inducted to Inventor Hall of Fame

    You are absolutely right Fred. I do remember now that you mentyion it. It was indeed DBX.
    I think DBX noise reduction was one of the most under appreciated ingenious inventions for analoge tape. I loved it. Most people hated it because they claimed that it pumped, and it did when the encode and decode levels were not calibrated correctly, but otherwise it made tape so quiet.
    Thanks for correcting me Fred!

    dpDan

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •