• Register
  • Help

Topic: Overture problems

Share/Bookmark

Overture problems

I really, really, really want to like Overture 3.61 but I find it consistently buggy with my Power Mac dual G5 with 4 gigs of Ram computer(plus GPO Studio) and prone to crashing, so much so that I'm reluctantly thinking of switching back to the inelegant combination of Logic for sequencing, then exporting as a Midi file to Sibelius for final editing. When Overture works it's great, but more often than not I get crashes, sometimes random, sometimes for the same repeated things (two examples just today: 1) I tried importing a midi file, checked "Map Channels to Staves" and it crashed every time; 2) I recorded with the quantize set to quarters, and afterwards selected the recorded notes and converted to raw; set quantize to 16th; chose "transcribe" and got repeated crashes...A few days ago I was notating and doing nothing particularly noteworthy when it crashed and the file from then on failed to even OPEN, so all work was lost...

I'm starting to realize that despite Overture on paper representing the Holy Grail of sequencer/notation-in-one functionality, the program as it now stands is just too undependable for professional use at present (and I fear what Overture 4 with it's extra bells and whistles might bring in this regard, though I'll try to be optimistic! :-))...
    And not to "pile on further", but seeing the Geniesoft Forum down now for several days with no repair also isn't exactly instilling confidence, I'm afraid...
    Crossing my fingers for a brighter Overture scenerio down the line!
    - robjohn
    --------------
    Overture 3.61, Powermac G5 Dual 2 ghz with 4 gigs ram, Mac with OS X Panther (latest update), Logic Pro 6.4, Sibelius 3.1

Re: Overture problems

Okay, you just moved.

I just want to make sure that you've reported these via email to Don and on the Geniesoft forum. Don has been busy, but I know he's around now.

Ah, the Geniesoft forum is back up so I will go there now. I know that debugging is a natural part of the process with any software, but it gets frustrating when things seem to happen for no reason, yet quite regularly, as has been the case with my experience with Overture. There's a point reached where you just wish the thing would work reliably in the first place. I VERY MUCH appreciate Don's past quick responses (though I know he's been presumably quite preoccupied of late with the upcoming release of Overture 4 and so hasn't been around much of late on his forum) but still it gets frustrating when these sorts of problems keep cropping up; one certainly wishes that the program itself was more stable in the first place and less beta-like when it is first released (Sibelius, for example, has always seemed consistently more reliable)...
    Best -
    robjohn
    ---------
    Overture 3.61, Powermac G5 Dual 2 ghz with 4 gigs ram, Mac with OS X Panther (latest update), Logic Pro 6.4, Sibelius 3.1

Quote Originally Posted by robjohn
    but it gets frustrating when things seem to happen for no reason, yet quite regularly, as has been the case with my experience with Overture.
    From a programming viewpoint, when the same thing happens regularly there is ALWAYS a reason, however cryptic the reason may be...and so the more specific information that Geniesoft has, the quicker they can debug. So if you have the same problem occurring over and over, definitely let Don know what the situation is, what else is running at the same time, etc, etc...basically whatever he needs to know to replicate the problem.

There are a few "little quirks" in the Windows version that frustrate me as well, but so far no crashes (knock on wood) and no pattern that I can find. I personally am amazed that Overture works as well as it does on two such very different platforms.

...can't wait for 4.0!

;-)
    jim

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Go Back to forum