• Register
  • Help

Topic: Jerry_W's Ballet "The Enchanted Attic" performed this weekend

Share/Bookmark

Jerry_W's Ballet "The Enchanted Attic" performed this weekend

A couple of months ago Jerry_W posted about a ballet he was working on and posted some of the music. This coming weekend, the ballet will be performed at the Ferguson Fine Arts Center.

All the best for a successful show!

And I extend a warm congratulations in advance for being a proud Papa this coming week.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Hi Everyone!

Here are some selections from my Ballet, "The Enchanted Attic"

It is a children's ballet, written and produced 10 years ago. The dancers were comprised of the choreographer's students aged 18 and under. Some very advanced. It was an amateur ballet, but produced on a professional scale. The Choreographer is a Juliard School grad and has over 80 students. I did this back before I had any training in theory, composition, orchestration or really ANY kind of musical training other than piano lessons. The music is rather simply constructed and didn't modulate much within each piece. But it was a success and I was pleased.

The choreographer approached me in December of this last year with plans to perform it again in MAY of this year. She wanted to re-choreograph it. I told her I would be interested if she would let me re-orchestrate it with GPO. She said that was fine, but wanted me to leave the music itself alone. This was hard for me - It is like giving a senior in high school a crayon drawing he or she did when in Kindergarten and having them add color without changing the picture.

I originally composed this on a Roland MT-200 sound module/sequencer and my Yamaha Clavinova. Rather than re-recording everything live, I imported the original Roland Files into Tracktion, and then went to work editing the CC data for each and every note of each and every instrument (changing velocity-based dynamics to mod-wheel based ones ).

Actually, with the exception of one newly added piece (the Dancers in the Painting), the 1995 orchestrations were left completely alone - but I think they sound much better and more lifelike in GPO. I did not undertake to fix my mistakes - but rather to simply have the pieces play through GPO. SO KEEP THAT IN MIND when listening to these.

The Ballet is about a young girl named Emily who spends the weekend at her grandma's home. Emily isn't a happy girl - missing her parents, but Grandma has a pet bird named Tootzu who cheers her up. After being terrified by a thunderstorm, tootzu escapes and emily chases the bird to the attic, where there are a whole bunch of toys and other things that would be in an attic (like an old painting). Tootzu flys into a trunk, where she magically appears in full human sized form (how else are you gonna have her dance? ) She does a dance and brings the toys to life. (very Nutcracker-like, I know) Each has a dance and makes friends with Emily. Some bats come and terrorize them until they fight back, and scare the bats away. Afterward they go back to their places (and tootzu goes back to being LITTLE again) and grandma takes emily and tootzu back downstairs.

That is the Reader's digest version - I left out a lot of stuff and have hastily summarized the ending, which is much more emotional.

So here they are: I think the titles are self explanatory.

Enchanted Attic Main Theme
    (Remember I wrote this 10 years ago - BEFORE Harry Potter!!!! )

Grandma's Theme

Dance of the Teddy Bear

Dance of the Ballerina Music Box

Dancers in the Painting

Tootzu's Lullaby

Even though I really cannot change these (I had to have the new version completed and submitted two weeks ago), I'd still like some feedback.

Re: Jerry_W's Ballet "The Enchanted Attic" performed this weekend

Man, I go away for a little bit a all hell breaks loose! Jerry, this is some truely amazing music. I wish you all of the best. I'd wish that you would post the entire score, but that may be wishing too much!! Seriously, best of luck.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Smile Re: Jerry_W's Ballet "The Enchanted Attic" performed this weekend

Thanks Gary and Jonny.

I am excited. This will be an interesting next couple weeks! I'll post a new thread about the performance and stuff and where to purchase the DVD of the performance and stuff.

The soundtrack IS for sale, Jonny - I would love to post the whole thing online, and just share it, but since I have retained all the performance rights to this piece, and am selling it at the performances this next weekend, I need to make sure I don't give away the store.

These are just a few of the themes in the whole piece.

I am so glad you guys enjoyed them. I am touched.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Hi Jerry !

This is quite the undertaking that you've signed up for, and I can see that you're definately up to the challenge These works are truly beautiful!! I can only imagine what it will be like being performed with the innocence of children. I'm sure that it will be a spectacular show. I wish that I could see it live. Wishing you the best of luck!!

MM

(love the Ninja!!)

Jerry, this is fabulous. It's what we composers live for. Congratulations on a great accomplishment!

Talking Re: Jerry_W's Ballet "The Enchanted Attic" performed this weekend

Thanks Moviemaestro!
    the is very cool! I am touched by all the comments from everyone about this. I will be posting a thread as soon as I can about how things go!

Josh! Thanks for the reply and yes, it IS what composers dream of! And when you get a chance to work colaboratively with another artist (in this case the choreographer), the result is THAT MUCH more a complete piece of art.

Her choreopgrahy makes this music so much better than it is alone. It is seamless!

Thanks again!!

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Congrats, Jerry! It's great when you get to see so many others working with your music and adding beauty to it! I hope it all goes well, enjoy the experience!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum