• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Putting Things in Perspective - The Universe Without and Within

Share/Bookmark

Putting Things in Perspective - The Universe Without and Within

Check out this interesting site:

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/j...su/powersof10/

Here can view the Milky Way at 10 million light years from the Earth. Then move through space to Earth in successive orders of magnitude until you focus a tall oak tree just outside the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory in Tallahassee, Florida. The, begin to move from the actual size of a leaf into a microscopic world that reveals leaf cell walls, the cell nucleus, chromatin, DNA and finally, into the subatomic universe of electrons and protons.

Kind of puts things in perspective...

Enjoy

Gary Garritan

Re: Putting Things in Perspective - The Universe Without and Within

Wow! That was amazing. It does put things into perspective

that is so amazing!

thank you Gary.

little ol' dpDan

Whew! Nothing like making yourself feel small and insignificant! Thanks for the link, that was really cool, and I've bookmarked it . . . simply fascinating!

It's great that we now have the technology to photograph our own galaxy and protons . . .

I'm brain dead again from studying physics all day, and now I'm even more brain dead trying to comprehend the size of the universe . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I think more importantly than studying the universe, for me at least, is that we should realize we ARE significant, now if I could just practice what I believe to be true.

dpdan

Very interesting. I'm curious though - if one were able to get even further out than the opening image would we find an even larger-scale version of Tallahassee? Sort of like Russian nesting dolls... makes you wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by loogoo
    Very interesting. I'm curious though - if one were able to get even further out than the opening image would we find an even larger-scale version of Tallahassee? Sort of like Russian nesting dolls... makes you wonder.
    Yeah, like everything we see in the universe (stars, galaxies, etc.) are really just the sub-atomic particles comprising the water in God's aquarium...just like you said "Russian nesting dolls".

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Indecision is the Key to Flexibility...

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Check out this interesting site:

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/j...su/powersof10/

Here can view the Milky Way at 10 million light years from the Earth. Then move through space to Earth in successive orders of magnitude until you focus a tall oak tree just outside the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory in Tallahassee, Florida. The, begin to move from the actual size of a leaf into a microscopic world that reveals leaf cell walls, the cell nucleus, chromatin, DNA and finally, into the subatomic universe of electrons and protons.

Kind of puts things in perspective...

Enjoy

Gary Garritan
    Thanks a stack for that Gary.....you're talking my language here! I just don't know why it stopped at quark theory!!

Frank

This site seems to be inspired by the original Charles and Ray Eames short film from the Seventies called "Powers of Ten": http://powersof10.com/

There is also a fairly recent Imax film called "Cosmic Voyage" that brings the original concept into the realm of modern state-of-the-art CG and is available on DVD (with a very nice orchestral score by David Michael Frank, I might add). I'd heartily recommend either.

Go Back to forum