• Register
  • Help

Topic: EWQL Gold programmed in ProTools- Modal Adagio

Share/Bookmark

EWQL Gold programmed in ProTools- Modal Adagio

Hi All,

I finally got my hands on EWQL Gold the other week after purchasing it back in late march. I though i should post something given that i've enjoyed so much of what i've heard from others!

It's called Modal Adagio BUT click on Film Soundtrack 1

http://www.evaclear.com/samples

Cheers
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

Re: EWQL Gold programmed in ProTools- Modal Adagio

Have not listened to it yet but can you tell me what computer and version of Pro Tools you are using.

Are you using it as an RTAS plug in?

How many voices you are getting......Is it working well?

Trying to understand how best to use my EWQL Platinum with my Dual 1.25 Mac and Pro Tools.

Thanks

I really like it so far. I'd only say that around 35 seconds the strings sound un-natural because the notes are two quick for the legato patches.

Thomas Martin

www.thomasnathanielmartin.com

Quote Originally Posted by dubaifox
    Have not listened to it yet but can you tell me what computer and version of Pro Tools you are using.

Are you using it as an RTAS plug in?

How many voices you are getting......Is it working well?

Trying to understand how best to use my EWQL Platinum with my Dual 1.25 Mac and Pro Tools.

Thanks
    I'm using PTLE on a PC pentium 4 with 1 gig of ram (soon to be 2 gig). Running the Lib off my C drive (80gig).

Yes, i did this piece with gold as an RTAS. The performance of Gold in PT isn't great, as you're probably aware. I can't assign midi channels so i played each part, had a tweak, and when i was happy, printed it to audio and moved on to the next (still keeping the all midi tracks of course). I actually don't mind working in this way (would still love a fix patch! hint, hint!), but having had said that, I'm now using Gold mostly on Cubase SXII where everything works fine. With my PC specs I can get two instrances (16 instruments) happening in Cubase ok.

cheers,
    evaclear

My Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by TNM
    I really like it so far. I'd only say that around 35 seconds the strings sound un-natural because the notes are two quick for the legato patches.

Thomas Martin

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your suggestion. So you'd pull up a different patch for that moving section to get more realism? I'll give it a go.

I'd appreciate further feedback if anyone has any

Cheers,
    evaclear

My Stuff

Smile Re: EWQL Gold programmed in ProTools- Modal Adagio

Hello Evaclear,
    I like the theme and orchestration. I also realize you didn't ask for a critque but, I do think the two notes which are not clearly stated because they must be from a slow starting legatio patch could benefit from a patch with more presense in the begining. I realize this is nitpicking but, I think that would add greatly to the realism. Although I'm not a string player I do believe on real violins there is no reason they coudln't play those notes with more force than that patch. I however am still using AO and Ultimate strings :-o I do however want a new set and I'm leaning towards SISS - However I am convinced if you were using strings with a performance Legato tool like Garritan or VSL you wouldn't need to use a separate patch which makes me wonder but, at any rate it is good work and your talented so I hope your don't think I'm being rude by saying what I've said.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I have no problem whatsoever with what you've said. I appreciate the feedback, and tend to agree that this moving passage is definitely pushing the boundaries of what the legato patch can achieve. I know if i selected another patch with a more suitable attack, my challenge would then be to tonally relate it to its surroundings (and i did consider that at the time)- but that's what good programming is all about

You mentioned SIS and VSL. It's hard to decide what (one) strings lib to go with isn't it! It would be nice to have them all... or maybe just a big headache I've heard great stuff from both SIS and VSL and bad stuff, so at the end of the day i guess one must make a decision based on what suites and go for it, because they're all good libraries!

Cheers,

Cheers.
    evaclear

My Stuff

Hello Evaclear,
    Well I wouldn't want to get too far off topic... . I think that you can probably do good work with every string library out there. I happen to like the dark sound of SISS but, I have to admit that EWQL has a shimmering sort of quality which is appealing also. I think part of why I am not terribly interested in it is because I want to stick with Gigastudio because I[m becoming familiar with it and I like it's audio capture tool (maybe that sounds dumb) but, I think that running two platforms wouldn't be very easy and I wonder how well Giga specific instruments will run on Kontact... .
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by TNM
    Hello Evaclear,
    Well I wouldn't want to get too far off topic... . I think that you can probably do good work with every string library out there. I happen to like the dark sound of SISS but, I have to admit that EWQL has a shimmering sort of quality which is appealing also. I think part of why I am not terribly interested in it is because I want to stick with Gigastudio because I[m becoming familiar with it and I like it's audio capture tool (maybe that sounds dumb) but, I think that running two platforms wouldn't be very easy and I wonder how well Giga specific instruments will run on Kontact... .
    Thanks. A really moving theme was written with SISS in the movie Prince William. (didn't really get into the movie, but loved that cue). The lib sounds great in that work! Definitely a seller for SI.

Gold does have a shimmer to it as you say. I really dig it!
    evaclear

My Stuff

Well, I think that EWQLSO Gold is a great value but, I don't think it is for me because I have things I like - sam Horns etc and I'd like to get all the sam Brass... . I do think if someone had nothing and was starting out and wanted the biggest bang for the buck I'd recomend gold - the one thing Ive noticed though is I haven't heard much in the way of sentimental or soft demos it is like everything is bombastic ala Pirates of the Carribean and Star Wars but, it does that stuff fantastic. I think it is almost crazy to say one is better than the other because it all depends on use however I still stand by what I said about GPO - I have absolutely nothig against it or Gary but, anyone who says it can fool the ear of someone who loves orchestral music and studies it has hearing damage... .
    Thomas

Go Back to forum