• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: New piece with real cello + samples

Share/Bookmark

New piece with real cello + samples

Hey folks,

Looking for feedback on a new piece for solo cellos (played and recorded by me) and small orchestra samples (Bos 290, SISS violins, EWQLSO Gold solo horn, violin and cello sections, and Westgate flute.

www.newmeyer.org/Secret_Place.mp3

Don Newmeyer

Unhappy Re: New piece with real cello + samples

Don Newmeyer,
    the link doesn't work for me!!

Roberto

Re: New piece with real cello + samples

Roberto,
    I think the web host was having a temporary problem. Why don't you try it again now.

Don

Smile Re: New piece with real cello + samples

OK now it works, just a bit of time to hear, Don.

Thumbs up Re: New piece with real cello + samples

What an incredible piece!!!!
    This is one of the best piece I have heard until now!
    The melody is really beautiful and your piano also sounds very good.
    I don't wanna say nothing of the Cello:
    It is wonderful as it is!!!
    I think you have to be a great composer, to write something like that. Otherwise you don't let any chances to the others, don't you!!?!
    My God, I can only say:
    congratulations, your piece let me something than others do not!!!
    What kind of sequencer did you use?
    You have done a lovely and special piece here,
    Congratulations again!!!!
    Best of luck,
    Roberto

Thumbs up Re: New piece with real cello + samples

Listen again, my God, also the other instruments seem to be real!!!
    Congratulations,
    Roberto

Grazie molto, Roberto--glad you like it!

I used Logic to mix it.

Don

Smile Re: New piece with real cello + samples

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Grace
    Grazie molto, Roberto--glad you like it!

I used Logic to mix it.

Don
    Thank you to speak my language, I hope that somebody else can hear your beautiful piece...
    Best regards,
    Roberto

Lovely Music. Lovely cello playing. Thoroughly enjoyed listening, which I did repeatedly. (Can't tell you how nice it is to hear a real cello, played expressively).

The only problem with the cello is: it raises the expectations for the strings. Hence they sound a little synthy coming in at 3:00. Did you use CC11 or MW controlled XFaded dynamics. If you layered in the solo violin for realism and intimacy I couldn't detect it. The break between bowings sounded a little sudden in places, which is surprising: I thought SISS had release triggered bow ends. Some of the swells sounded a little unsmooth.

But, really -this is all nit picking, and mentioning it at all is already disproportionate.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckers
    Lovely Music. Lovely cello playing. Thoroughly enjoyed listening, which I did repeatedly. (Can't tell you how nice it is to hear a real cello, played expressively).

The only problem with the cello is: it raises the expectations for the strings. Hence they sound a little synthy coming in at 3:00. Did you use CC11 or MW controlled XFaded dynamics. If you layered in the solo violin for realism and intimacy I couldn't detect it. The break between bowings sounded a little sudden in places, which is surprising: I thought SISS had release triggered bow ends. Some of the swells sounded a little unsmooth.

But, really -this is all nit picking, and mentioning it at all is already disproportionate.
    Beckers,
    Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try layering solo violin--it might help. I tend to stay away from solo string samples, because I've never heard any that I really like (although Synful orch is approaching something usable), but maybe lightly layered with the section it would be OK. I eventually want to record a real violinist.

SISS does have release samples, but they don't always sound realistic IMO. I used SISS because I was going for an intimate sound, but I find the note boundaries to be quite tricky with SISS (at least with the lite version, which is what I have.) I'll see if it can be improved.

Don

Go Back to forum