• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Saxophones in Big Band

Share/Bookmark

Wink Saxophones in Big Band

I hope that the Big Band will have some Breathy Tenor Sax samples (lZoot Sims, Lucky Thompson, Ben Webster etc.) as well as some smooth Alto Saxes (Johnnie Hodges, Paul Desmond). I personally do not care for the Duck Call style sax sounds that are so popular with most jazz fans, the only types of Sax sounds that most hardware synthesizer producers seem to be aware of.

I also second the call for classical Saxes for the GPO/Advanced GPO sample library. Like some others have said if you have not heard a classical Sax (Tenor, Alto, Baritone, or soprano) you have no IDEA how beautiful a sax can sound.

Thanks,

Dan

Talking Re: Saxophones in Big Band

Quote Originally Posted by drdancm
    I hope that the Big Band will have some Breathy Tenor Sax samples (lZoot Sims, Lucky Thompson, Ben Webster etc.) as well as some smooth Alto Saxes (Johnnie Hodges, Paul Desmond). I personally do not care for the Duck Call style sax sounds that are so popular with most jazz fans, the only types of Sax sounds that most hardware synthesizer producers seem to be aware of.

I also second the call for classical Saxes for the GPO/Advanced GPO sample library. Like some others have said if you have not heard a classical Sax (Tenor, Alto, Baritone, or soprano) you have no IDEA how beautiful a sax can sound.

Thanks,

Dan

Well, I sure do hope that none of the saxes sounds anything like Ben Webster and the like! Ok, maybe as an exotic instrument... But we´ve already had that discussion about ancient vs. modern saxophone sounds...
    I, personally wouldn´t need those ancient ones...
    I agree about classical saxophones in GPO advanced. But then again, if you only know Ben Webster etc., you also have no IDEA how beautiful a jazz saxophone can sound!

Re: Saxophones in Big Band

Saxes are real hard to pull off with samples (imnsho), but what I heard of "Big Band" at the Texas Music Educators Conference blew my mind! Eventually a sampled sax sound like a kazoo after a while, these did not!

…2112

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

It didn't occur to me to add Ben Webster playing a Kazoo, but I'll consider it.

Tom

P.S. I'm still not revealing any details but you're free to keep making suggestions (although most things are set by now.)

Tom,

Is there a cow bell in the percussion set? - and one of those tiny splash cymbals?
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

I want to add one thing about saxophones in general: As a family, they are among the most difficult instruments to simulate convincingly. The instruments are capable of so many utterly and distinctly different sounds that anyone who expects us to deliver a cross section of all possibilities (or even a significant fraction of the possibilities,) well . . . not in this lifetime. That's what real saxophonists are for. We will try to give some generic, but flexible, choices that are reasonably convincing, expressive, and easy to use. Beyond that, hire a good saxophonist when you need one.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Is there a cow bell in the percussion set? - and one of those tiny splash cymbals?
    It's beginning to feel like a mantra: "No details, no details, no details . . ." Yet.

Tom

P.S. If you really need cowbells right now, GPO has them!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    I want to add one thing about saxophones in general: As a family, they are among the most difficult instruments to simulate convincingly. The instruments are capable of so many utterly and distinctly different sounds that anyone who expects us to deliver a cross section of all possibilities (or even a significant fraction of the possibilities,) well . . . not in this lifetime. That's what real saxophonists are for. We will try to give some generic, but flexible, choices that are reasonably convincing, expressive, and easy to use. Beyond that, hire a good saxophonist when you need one.

Tom

I can say that I believe this is true for all instruments!

...except maybe percussion.... but they don't count!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    .... but they don't count!
    True story:

In my bar band days, I once worked with a rock outfit in the 70s and we were covering "My Sharona". In rehearsal, the drummer (who clearly had a bit too much fun with hallucinating substances back in the 60s), wasn't quite with it. We started the song and he flipped the beat, putting the snare on 1 & 3 instead of 2 & 4. I stopped the song and told him this. He looked at me and said, stone cold serious, "Wow man. I don't count that way."

We went on to the next song...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I was going to write in rebuttal but decided to let you entertain yourselves. However, I will say I would have fired the drummer in Chris's band right then and there!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum