• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: TOP BRASS?...Kirk Hunter vs. VSL? Opinions?

Share/Bookmark

TOP BRASS?...Kirk Hunter vs. VSL? Opinions?

Any opinions about the Kirk Hunter Concert Brass versus the Vienna Symphonic Library brass (especially the low end Opus 1/2 bundle brass)? Has anyone gotten their hands on both KH and VSL brass?

Re: TOP BRASS?...Kirk Hunter vs. VSL? Opinions?

The complete brass in both Kontakt and Giga formats will be completed next week at which point the finished version will be sent to our demo composers.The differences in VSL and KH will be that:

1. Three mic positions available for KH vs 1 for VSL
    2. 3 DVDs for the brass
    3. A bigger more Hollywood sound
    4. Brass is available as a separate package for an intro price of $299, $399 when intro is over (www.kirkhunter.com)
    5. I believe Opus 1 uses the Vienna horn while the KH is the traditional French horn.
    6. KH Brass organized by easy-to-choose from sections: solo, two horns, four hours
    7. KH is recorded with brass in their onstage seated position, no panning required.
    8. With Opus 1, trombones are part of the entire package and so cannot be bought separately, while KH Brass can be.

If you can afford it, do both. VSL is great stuff, and until we took on KH I was very proud to be one of their top dealers.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

If I could get my $1000 bucks back from buying Opus 1, I would in a heartbeat. Never again.
    Logic 9 | OSX Snow Leopard | 2x3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | 4g ram |Dual Cinema Displays | MBox 2 | MOTU 2408, MTP AV | AlphaTrack | BlueSky 2.1 |

Quote Originally Posted by RobbinsEgg
    If I could get my $1000 bucks back from buying Opus 1, I would in a heartbeat. Never again.
    As a prospective Opus 1 buyer, I'm very curious as to why you feel this way.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Quote Originally Posted by peter269
    The complete brass in both Kontakt and Giga formats will be completed next week at which point the finished version will be sent to our demo composers.The differences in VSL and KH will be that:

1. Three mic positions available for KH vs 1 for VSL
    2. 3 DVDs for the brass
    3. A bigger more Hollywood sound
    4. Brass is available as a separate package for an intro price of $299, $399 when intro is over (www.kirkhunter.com)
    5. I believe Opus 1 uses the Vienna horn while the KH is the traditional French horn.
    6. KH Brass organized by easy-to-choose from sections: solo, two horns, four hours
    7. KH is recorded with brass in their onstage seated position, no panning required.
    8. With Opus 1, trombones are part of the entire package and so cannot be bought separately, while KH Brass can be.

If you can afford it, do both. VSL is great stuff, and until we took on KH I was very proud to be one of their top dealers.
    You really know how to talk it up, but I haven't heard anything to back it up. It's wonderful that its recorded in place, with section sizes, and the french horns are french horns - but if it sounds like feces...? The brass has obviously been complete for a long time, so why aren't there any demos yet? Why not hire a slew of composers to really showcase your library? Same for the strings! The Jeff Beal cue is fine, but it's in no way a real demonstration of the library whatsoever.

Indulge me!

Quote Originally Posted by RobbinsEgg
    Strange - Before buying Pro Edition, Opus 1 was the best buy I had done. Opus 1 + Epic Horns and your really set.

Oh well - looking forward to hearing KH Brass

Angry Re: TOP BRASS?...Kirk Hunter vs. VSL? Opinions?

Wow, are you taking orders for the brass already? I don't think it's very cool to try and lure potential buyers with an intro price without a single audio example - especially those who may just be starting up their sample collection trying to save a couple bucks. I hope the intro price stays LONG after you upload the initial demos.

KH had some top brass in the old days. There's no reason to expect that the new brass will be any less spectacular. And, i'm sure that it will rival any library to date.

But it's true. The proofs in the pudding. Demo's please.

Cheers,

Jose

I'm sorry Jose, but in my opinion his old brass was anything BUT top. It had a couple useful patches, but the sound for most of the library was not good - at all. I'm sure it had something to do with the hall, but ultimately the engineer is to blame. If it was great, I wouldn't be so rude and pushy about demos.

Just between you and me I never owned them. I just knew a guy who did and he was able to get some pretty good results with them. But, again that was by the old Advanced Orchestra, Miroslav standards. By todays standards they suck. But for back then they where pretty good.

So, I'm kinda eager to see what they come up with. To me it would be like if Miroslave decided to jump in the game again.

Jose

Go Back to forum