• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Giga3 Polyphany Vs 2.5

Share/Bookmark

Giga3 Polyphany Vs 2.5

Hi All,

I've just installed Gigastudio Orchestra 3.04 on my system. I brought up Gigapiano I, and ran no plugins. Though hardly scientific, I remember holding the damper pedal down and hitting lots of notes in 2.54, and while I'd peg the voices at the max (160), the CPU barely broke a sweat.

Now, in 3.04, the CPU's maxing out fairly quickly, even before I get past, say 110-120 voices.

I'm running XP, service pack I on a Pentium 4, 3.02 Ghz.

So, my big question is: is 3 more CPU-intensive in terms of straight voice playback? If not, are there things I should do to furthur optimize performance?

I'm running a Layla 24 box, and have installed their driver 6.11, w/ Gsif 2 and WDM.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment!

Len

Post Re: Giga3 Polyphany Vs 2.5

This won't be of much help to you...but I have observed the same thing.

Actually, in practice my harddrive speed does not appear to be the factor limiting the max. polyphony in my system, but the CPU is (P4 3.0 Ghz with Raptor RAID0). I always thought it was vice versa. Upgrading from a single drive to the RAID config only slightly increased polyphony in my case (?).

I'm no expert, but I know that just reading data from the harddrive always puts some strain on the CPU, depending on some things like the HDD interface used. On top of this GS3 has to do the mixer processing (even when no fxs are applied).

I've also tried (substantially) increasing the buffer size of my RME HDSP9632, but this has hardly an effect on the CPU use and max. polyphony. This is also a bit counter intuitive for me.

Maybe it is motherboard related? I'm using a Asus P4C800 deluxe.

Rob

Re: Giga3 Polyphany Vs 2.5

Is this the same system you used for GS 2.5?

GS 3 is probably a "fatter" programme, so, with more details to check for, the CPU is under a little more stress, leaving less "horse power" available to play voices.
    Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    Stepped up again ....
    New specs ....
    Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Intel Media Edition MoBo
    2x2gb RAM

Thanks for your replies, but the thing is this:
    It's the same hardware as I was using before, and in 2.54 the cpu meter would barely register when I played a new key, thus adding 1-2 new voices. Now, the meter's jumping a lot more, and overloading easier.

Len

I believe that GS3 uses a new lossless compression scheme that uses a bit more CPU than GS2.5. That would account from the higher CPU usage for sample playing without effects. I don't know the inner workings, so I'm not sure of the details.

You might compare playback of a v2.5 lib, compared to a lib that has been converted to v3.

-JF

It seems to me that none of you have accounted for the 2 giga pulse instances that are encoded. Or was it mentioned somewhere that you're using GPiano LE? Fully modelled GigaPiano II would certainly account for greater CPU load.

Belbin

I should clarify: I see that you say you didn't use any plugins, but this could mean, "didn't ADD any". Just making sure that you're aware that GP II has 2 instances of Gigapulse that you need to disable/delete if you really want it plugin-free.

And no, I don't think your an idiot. I'm just a know it all. Sorry. Just trying to help, really. Hope I'm right....

Belbin

I was running this test with the Gigapiano that came w/ 2.54, so there are no plugins instantiated.

Even though I've set the max polyphony to 900, I'm pegging the processor (actually, it's claiming I'm around 150-250%!), and getting max polyphony of 238.

I guess this is better than 160 voices.

Thanks,

Len

All I can say now is that I've read (and disregarded, being a newbie) a lot of mention that certain 2.5 tasks won't run/won't run as well in v.3. Try giga piano 2. My machine is a p4 2.9 Ghz, and even before I got a second hd, I could use gigapiano II with no strain at all.

Belbin

It would be interesting to make a copy of the original GigaPiano and convert it to the version 3 format, and then compare its perfromance.

-JF

Go Back to forum