• Register
  • Help

Topic: Thanks all for recommending the complete guide to Game Audio

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Thanks all for recommending the complete guide to Game Audio

It helped me decide early on, a game audio career is not for me. But there is still soooo much valuable information in the book, I will never forget. I'd say this book further broke me in as to what a career as a composer/producer really means today.. I appreciate being prepared, and the wisdom in the book is something that would've taken me years of migraines to discover myself. I will always keep it at close range.

Thanks Guys,
    CMDess

Re: Thanks all for recommending the complete guide to Game Audio

Thanks, CM - I'm glad to hear you found the book informative and were able to make a decision about the industry. It is complex and full of potholes but it has it's definite share of rewards as well. I stumbled through radio and local TV land, jingles and music libraries only to find out I didn't like any of them - would have loved a peek into them beforehand instead of finding out on my own.

Much luck in your quest and many thanks!

Aaron

Hey CM. Yeah, Aaron's book is without question the first stop for anybody considering game audio as a career path. Like you, I had the good fortune of discovering the book at a key turning point in my life, and I'm undoubtedly better off for it. Thanks very much Aaron from yet another fan

But CM, would it be okay to hear what might've turned you off about game audio for a career choice? I ask not to be nosy, and you can certainly tell me to go fly a kite if you prefer, but I'm sure you're the first person I've ever heard of who has considered game audio then definitively decided NOT to go in this direction. I can't help but find that incredibly fascinating.

Smile Re: Thanks all for recommending the complete guide to Game Audio

Ed,

This is a tricky question, I'll try to give something less than an abstract response;

It seems like everything involved points away from realizing things I really want to achieve. I think there's a bright new genre waiting to come to light and I'm pretty stubborn about helping it develop. And staying the course is tough. For me, it's a cool time for music creation....SO much emotion in these dang daws once they get cooking. I feel so fortunate --and cursed-- I'd say to be involved.

I feel the place for me to help bring the concepts out and transform them into a standard isn't in the gameaudio industry because parties involved seem have their ideas/guidelines already layed out for optimal production turn-over.

I feel the best way, might just be to continue exploring what works for my ears, and if it works for me, others may find it useful. And when the time is right, everything comes together (hopefully).

And thanks so much Aaron!

Much Success,
    CD

I think I get what you're saying. What's true for film music is true for game music, and that is that you're working not to produce an end product unto itself, but indeed to contribute to something larger. I love the challenge of doing something that works within the larger framework of a game that also satisifies me creatively. I'd go so far as to say it's a bit of a game to me as well.

While it's true that the game industry is currently locked in sequelitis, there is already a bit of backlash coming from that kind of thinking. You need only look at how many lame Grand Theft Auto wannabe games are scheduled for release in the next twenty-four months. You know they ALL aren't going to be good. And even if they were, males 18-35 aren't going to buy ALL of them, so it's inevitable that someone's going to lose their shirt over that.

I'm both glad and sorry you made the decision you made. I'm glad that you discovered early on that you wouldn't be happy in game audio, before making a huge money and time investment. But I'm also sorry that you'll be missing out on a cool subset of musician culture. I haven't met anyone in game audio I didn't like. Everybody tries to be generous with their time and tips, honest but kind when critiquing each other, and genuinely congratulatory and happy for each other when one of us has a success.

Anyway, whatever you end up doing, I wish you the very best of luck.
    You know what I blame this on the downfall of? Society.

Cool Re: Thanks all for recommending the complete guide to Game Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lima
    Anyway, whatever you end up doing, I wish you the very best of luck.
    Thanks Ed, good vibes to you as well. It's great to hear you've have some good experiences.

-cd

Go Back to forum