• Register
  • Help

Topic: My Final Approach To Jazz Drumming

Share/Bookmark

My Final Approach To Jazz Drumming

Hi all,

after posting a few threads and having a chance to play with VST sampled drums from colleagues of mine, I have concluded that by creating the basic groove of a swing ride cymbal and high-hat with no bass or snare hits for 4 bars is truly effective. The snares and bass drum hits along with fills can be easily played in real time adding up to a more dynamic and accomodating midi track provided you are using a decent drum sample kit.
    Of course EQ does help here quite a bit in the finals.

Thank you all for your comments that have led me to my determination..

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Re: My Final Approach To Jazz Drumming

Alan R.,

I have a few drum kits I've developed that aren't available publicly yet - but if you are interested, they sound perfect for your use. Just shoot me a PM or give me a call at the number in my sig if you're interested.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: My Final Approach To Jazz Drumming

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Russell
    Hi all,

after posting a few threads and having a chance to play with VST sampled drums from colleagues of mine, I have concluded that by creating the basic groove of a swing ride cymbal and high-hat with no bass or snare hits for 4 bars is truly effective. The snares and bass drum hits along with fills can be easily played in real time adding up to a more dynamic and accomodating midi track provided you are using a decent drum sample kit.
    Of course EQ does help here quite a bit in the finals.

Thank you all for your comments that have led me to my determination..

Alan Russell
    Well, there were a couple of ideas I didn't throw into the mix.

I'm guessing that you want to keep this MIDI. Do any of the drummers in your market have a set of pads, V-Drums, TD-7, etc? It sure does sound good to use a drummer with real sticks. Rather like using a wind controller for wind synthesis/sampling, using pads gives the nuance and balance of hits that is characteristic of a stick rather than a finger on a key.

It also puts another strand of DNA in the mix. To me, playing music is rather like making babies. You want to mix up the gene pool a bit, so the universe can work its magic. You don't want your babies growing flippers!!

I have also done successful hybrid tracks, mic'ing a real snare and cymbals but using pads for the kick and toms. This works really well if you are limited on microphones but have enough mics to cover a snare and hi-hat spot, and stereo overheads. If you impulse the overheads from the center position, you can use that impulse to do virtual overheads for the samples, and get everything to sound as if it were played in the same place.

There are so many options. Those are a couple more.

Go Back to forum