• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: URGENT: Making music "SAFE" for TV

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation URGENT: Making music "SAFE" for TV

Need help before Saturday 14th!

I've just signed up to write the music for a team competing in the "48hour film festival" here in New Zealand. I will have a day or less to compose/record & master the soundtrack. Composing & recording no worries...however...

Q. How do I make the music SAFE for television broadcast?

I have Cakewalk Homestudio 2004 XL and Sonar 1 - What do I need to do? I may not have time for pretty - hack and slash is likely.

If someone has ideas on how to do Pretty AND Safe on 7-8 minutes of music in less than an hour, I'm all ears.

Thankyou all.

Re: URGENT: Making music "SAFE" for TV

At the root of safety is familiarity.

SO:

1. steal from Vivaldi. No one'll know.

2. keep it moving in 4ths and 5ths [Dm -> Gmaj -> Cmaj in key of C]. Basis of millions of songs.

3. Rehash [for the millionth time] Canon in D [chords = D, A, Bm, F#, G, D, G, A]. Basis of millions of TV commercials.

4. Failing these 3, the minor cycle of 5ths is always fun. [chords = Am, Dm, Gmaj, Cmaj, Fmaj, Bdim, Emaj, Am] Basis of millions of songs.

good luck!
    ""A woman should dress to attract attention. To attract the most attention, a woman should be either nude, or wearing something as expensive as getting her nude is going to be." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by Matt R.

If someone has ideas on how to do Pretty AND Safe on 7-8 minutes of music in less than an hour, I'm all ears.

Thankyou all.
    for TV :
    safe - make sure it's mono compatible and crisp! ( watch out for muddiness! )

pretty - I don't know pretty
    Bosco Adama

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco Adama
    for TV :
    safe - make sure it's mono compatible and crisp! ( what out for muddiness! )
    Yes. Mono compatibility is required. Also make sure that it sounds okay through a cheap three inch speaker - midrange only. Yep. No muddiness.

Maybe the most important aspects are that is has a consistent style, and that it captures one's interest. TV is about "branding" and keeping the audience glued to the set. So don't make any transitions from classical to bluegrass, and keep a clear point of focus at all times, be it the melody, countermelody, rhythm or effects.

-JD

I guess this is a situation where I would use a bunch of Acid loops.

OK, Got me all wrong.

SAFE meaning - Frequency ranges, et al - don't want programmers yelling at me because the bass frequencies blew up somone's sub, etc...

As I said, I have no problems with the composing/recording, I've got a whole day for that , just less than an hour to master it.

Thank's about the "mono" compatable and crispness though...good thought! If only I had some cheep 3" speakers to test it out with...hehe.

So, Should there be bass and treble frequency cuts? Certain frequencies which should not be above y db, etc?

Cheers all again.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt R.
    OK, Got me all wrong.

SAFE meaning - Frequency ranges, et al - don't want programmers yelling at me because the bass frequencies blew up somone's sub, etc...

As I said, I have no problems with the composing/recording, I've got a whole day for that , just less than an hour to master it.

Thank's about the "mono" compatable and crispness though...good thought! If only I had some cheep 3" speakers to test it out with...hehe.

So, Should there be bass and treble frequency cuts? Certain frequencies which should not be above y db, etc?

Cheers all again.
    If you are the audio mixer for the final delivery for the broadcast-
    peak at -10dbfs
    rms constant level about -22dbfs (not too wide of a dynamic range though)
    reference tone at -20dbfs
    if stereo, just make sure it's mono compatible
    frequency range is very subjective .
    Just avoid muddiness 150hz to 700hz
    the low end 20hz to 150hz won't be heard on small speakers but will be missed on home theatre systems.

I use my PC speakers sometimes as a reference.
    Good luck!
    Bosco Adama

Overlooking NYC, from Weehawken, New Jersey, USA

Does your software come with any sort of multiband/compressor/mastering plugins? Maybe there are some stock settings that you could use on these, just to get yourself by for now. I'm no expert, I run everything I do through a piece of hardware by TC electronics called the FINALIZER. I use a stock setting. Seems to clear things up pretty nice for me. I see many of the features in that device are now available in countless audio processing plugins. You should post this question on the Cakewalk boards...

Sounds like these producers are expecting miracles ( in terms of product turn around ) as usual. I'd really like to know how it turns out for you.

Bon chance.

Sounds like these producers are expecting miracles ( in terms of product turn around ) as usual. I'd really like to know how it turns out for you.
    I expect miracles of me

It's a really good team of people I'm working with - The whole aim of the 48 hour film festival is to go nuts, and work your backsides off until you have a film finished. No one knows what they are making until the beginning of the 48 hours when they draw their genre, etc, out of a hat. From then they have to write a script, film it, edit it, score it, deliver it...within 48 hours.

I've created @9 minutes of music in a day and a half before for a project...this is just another level of insanity

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco Adama
    I use my PC speakers sometimes as a reference.
    Good luck!
    Commander Adama has a good point. Get yourself a pair of $2 PC speakers - if the output is acceptable on that, it'll sound good on TV.
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Go Back to forum