• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Other people's music always sounds better

Share/Bookmark

Other people's music always sounds better

Is it just me, or does other people's music always seem to sound better? Probably because when we write music ourselves we spend so long with it that we know it inside and out, but when we listen to other people's music it is new to our brain and we don't know what to expect. Even after multiple listens we can discover new things. This newness makes it much easier for the brain to respond emotionally than it can with the music we write ourselves . . . is this true for anybody else?

I was just thinking about film music, and it seems to me that in the improbable (but possible) event of the book I haven't finished writing being turned into a movie, though it might give me the chance to write a film score, I might get someone else to write it . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Other people's music always sounds better

I'll have what you're smoking!
    Actually, I can understand what you're saying but no ones music sounds better than Guy Lombardo and his orchestra! Or, mine for that matter. Or Kevin’s or Hydan's, or Karl's, or Maestro’s or everyone else. Gee, I guess your right cause suddenly mine sounds pretty shabby against most if not all of these people, including yours! I've been listening to the composer station just about every day now and I can definitely say you're right up there with the rest!

What book? WAAAAAAAT BOOOOOOK?

I'm writing a book now. "Everything You Need To Know About Snacks But Where Afraid To Eat." I am going to make a movie of it and have Emral star as the snack King! I'm not writing a score...just sampled sounds of people chomping on chips and other crispy snacks!
    Oh my God I think the sun was hotter than it felt!
    Styxx

Other people's books always sound better too . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Other people's books always sound better too . . .
    Especially when you through them against the wall!

What, Sean, no school today? No conserving in the conservatory?
    Styxx

School is over, just finals left . . . and I can't study with all this good music!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

It's the same for me Sean.

Usually after I have "finished" a piece, I can't listen to it without hearing all the things that I'm not quite happy with, or would like to adjust. I get to the stage where I can't bear to listen to it.

Usually, though, after a couple of months and I come back to listen to it, I've forgotten all the pain and frsutration associated with it, and quite often I quite like it again.

Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

There must be a legal way to make ourselves forget writing the music . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

I have quite the opposite reaction. I guess part of the reason is that if compositionally something is not developing right, it usually goes to the 'archives'. I sometimes listen to something after a short time has passed and I become amazed that I wrote it.

Hope that doesn't sound too egotistical, but as composers I believe being too modest can hurt the creative psyche. Remember, it takes a lot of courage to create.

BTW.... I am not saying that I think my music is better than everyone else's in my own mind. I still haven't even come close to Bartok yet. I highly suggest you check out the "Concerto for Orchestra" by him. If film scores bring you down, this will positively floor you!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Yes, that sounds way too egotistical . . . Just kidding!

I'm sure it's just a case of familiarity. For example, after spending around a month composing that largo on the demo page, I just don't want to work with it anymore, my brain wants to work on something new. Maybe I just have a low attention span from too much television in my youth.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Wink Re: Other people's music always sounds better

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    I have quite the opposite reaction. I guess part of the reason is that if compositionally something is not developing right, it usually goes to the 'archives'. I sometimes listen to something after a short time has passed and I become amazed that I wrote it.

Hope that doesn't sound too egotistical, but as composers I believe being too modest can hurt the creative psyche. Remember, it takes a lot of courage to create.

BTW.... I am not saying that I think my music is better than everyone else's in my own mind. I still haven't even come close to Bartok yet. I highly suggest you check out the "Concerto for Orchestra" by him. If film scores bring you down, this will positively floor you!
    YEAH Jesse that's talking!

I can answer as Vasco Rossi, Italian rocker:

Q: what kind of music you like and you hear?
    A: My music of course!

Anyway " I still haven't even come close to Bach yet "

P.S. Sean I'm joking. Probably you are right, and you will discover in the future, writing something nearly perfect for your potential, the decanter effect!

After long session of mixing and refining everything seems to be so wrong and unbalanced. But after some day / week / year, when you hear again the result of your long work you will say:
    "WOW! It's really good! I did really a good work! It sounds so nice!"

Go Back to forum