• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Clarinet Solos – Feedback Wanted

Share/Bookmark

Clarinet Solos – Feedback Wanted

Here are 3 little clarinet solos. They are all based on a similar theme, which is the three-note motif Jess posted for his exercises. Depending on response I may do a few more of these solos.

Anyway, curious what you think.

Solo 1
    Solo 2
    Solo 3
    Last edited by trentpmcd; 05-11-2005 at 08:22 AM. Reason: new solo 3
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Clarinet Solos ? Feedback Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Here are 3 little clarinet solos. They are all based on a similar theme, which is the three-note motif Jess posted for his exercises. Depending on response I may do a few more of these solos.

Anyway, curious what you think.

Solo 1
    Solo 2
    Solo 3
    Trent,

I'm at work now, so can't listen yet. But I have them downloaded and look forward to hearing them tonight. I'll get back to you tomorrow with comments.

;-)
    jim

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Re: Clarinet Solos ? Feedback Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by southportJim
    I'll get back to you tomorrow with comments.

;-)
    jim
    Trent,
    Everyone got out of the office on time for once, so I can listen while I start the backups. The speakers here at work are pretty crummy, but are good enough to judge the composing as opposed to the production...so here goes.

Of the three:

Overall #2 is my favorite...although choosing between 1 & 2 is pretty much a toss-up. In both of these I like the way the sustained tones contrast with the faster stuff. The extremes in range are nice too. The quick contrasts between high and low registers starting at around :20 in #2 seem well balanced and what sounds to me like a sequence around :45 is well done.

I like the way #3 starts off and the way the motive changes, but I think it could benefit from some more of the longer sustained tones that are present in the first two and some "breathing spots" or breaks in the line...just for variety. Of course, I don't know what your intentions are, and I can imagine music where this one would fit just as it is.

My ear is not good enough to judge what you have done harmonically...would need the score to even make a bad attempt at that! But I like the places where #2 goes. All of them could probably benefit from some more variance in dynamics and tempo...although you have done a good job as it is, and I'm sure that these little 1.5 inch "mega-speakers" that I'm using aren't helping matters in that respect.

I'm wondering what these would sound like with just some minimal percussion in the background...not much, just enough to mark the pulse and to start playing with matching or contrasting the differences in timbre between the different registers of the clarinet.

Overall a very nice job...much, much better than what I turned in for the exercise. I would certainly continue working with these ideas...pretty amazing what you can find in a 3 note motive when you spend enough time with it!

...just my $0.02.

;-)
    Jim

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Re: Clarinet Solos – Feedback Wanted

Jim, thanks for listening and for the in-depth reply.

Don't worry, I haven't tried to analyze the harmony either Most of what I have been doing lately have been almost like harmony exercises so for these I tried to think only melodically.

I just posted a slightly updated version of no 3 that has a few more pauses and a little more tempo and dynamic variation - still not as much as no. 1. Also a few phrases where cut out because they didn't add to the whole. The first post has the change, but just in case - New Solo 3

Thanks again for listening.
    Trent P. McDonald

Just in case anyone is interested here are the scores to the 3 solos –

Solo 1
    Solo 2
    Solo 3
    Trent P. McDonald

Thumbs up Re: Clarinet Solos – Feedback Wanted

I liked two best as well and all for the same reasons as stated above. Actually sounding remarkably human to me. I have a friend who plays clarinet and she remarked how "naturally balanced" your writing compliments a solo clarinet performance. One could definitely play either one of the three although her taste favored number two as well.
    Personally speaking? I always enjoy your work and this is no exception. Very nicely arranged. Thanks for posting!
    Styxx

Wow! The scores! Nice touch and thanks for posting. May I ask, what notational program did you use to score?
    Styxx

Thanks for listening and comenting Styxx. In some ways it surprises me people seem to prefer the second one - I was afraid some of the large skips and leaps would throw people off. I guess not.

These were written in Overture. I imported the midi files into Cubase and fixed them up a bit, adding glisses, trills, etc.

Thanks for the kind words.
    Trent P. McDonald

Clarinet handles the skips very well. This is why most composers recommend composing on paper and not on the keyboard. You are doing good work with these. I hope that when I am settled into school I can resume the Composition Seminar.

J
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Hi Trent,

Although I'm not a clarinetist, these pieces certainly seem very reachable for real players. I'm not sure which I like most, 2 or 3, but they all work together as a group very nicely. To me the GPO woodwinds are as good as anyone's and you have certainly handled the clarinet well. The subtle range of emotions that the pieces run through is wonderful... kind of like a butterfly resting for a while on a flower, drinking in it's nectar, then flitting off to another.

Real cool,

Karl

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast