• Register
  • Help

Topic: A question on scoring (not specific to any one program)

Share/Bookmark

A question on scoring (not specific to any one program)

A question for scorers...

I have recently had increased requests to provide scores of the strings/brass arrangements i've been programming on tracks. It would be easy to import my midi files into Finale and organise them/print them off, BUT like everyone else i "play" them in without quantizing to create realism etc. Obviously if i just import them "as is" into a Finale document, they'll require quite a lot of tidying up. (Most of the string parts will appear before the beat etc).

Are any of you quantizing your midi files to export (to your scoring program) and then undoing it to preserve the performance of the track? Or doing any other tricks to save time?

Would love your thoughts... ( <---Just thought i'd use this chick because she's new)
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

Re: A question on scoring (not specific to any one program)

Quote Originally Posted by evaclear
    A question for scorers...

I have recently had increased requests to provide scores of the strings/brass arrangements i've been programming on tracks. It would be easy to import my midi files into Finale and organise them/print them off, BUT like everyone else i "play" them in without quantizing to create realism etc. Obviously if i just import them "as is" into a Finale document, they'll require quite a lot of tidying up. (Most of the string parts will appear before the beat etc).

Are any of you quantizing your midi files to export (to your scoring program) and then undoing it to preserve the performance of the track? Or doing any other tricks to save time?

Would love your thoughts... ( <---Just thought i'd use this chick because she's new)
    Save a separate score in your sequencer and tidy this up as much as possible before exporting. This will save a lot of time and effort.

Daryl

Thanks Daryl. Of course, create a duplicate and rename it bla bla bla score!!

Cheers,
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

This is reason I draw my notes in by hand and use midi-delay or midi quantization plug-ins (which quantisizes the feel during playback only) to add to the feel if needed. I'm not very interested in making great "mock-ups" - if I want it to sound real I go real.
    I rely alot upon being able to "just press print" and the scores comes out, so this is nessecary for me. This is also why I chose to stick with cubase. However I keep hearing that Logic's notation has improved since Mac got hold of it.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Go Back to forum