• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Liquid Saxophone

Share/Bookmark

Liquid Saxophone

Hey, I finally found some demos of the upcoming (supposedly end of May) Liquid Saxophone package at http://www.ueberschall.com/

This is based on the Melodyne© technology and, it sounds to me, like it is pretty authentic.

I had already pre-ordered it, unheard, based on buzz I'd been hearing about its premier at NAMM.

Jerry

Re: Liquid Saxophone

Jerry,

where is the sax demo? I see the description..

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

If you are on the Ueberschall site, click products, then select Liquid Instrument Saxophone (I did from alphabetical order), then right next to the product pic click on one of the play buttons, quite some demos there. You need Flash 7 installed.

Impressive if it's all easy to get out of that sucker.

Hope this helps,
    PolarBear

You gotta wonder...

Can you "play" in your own melody, or do you need to take pre-existing phrases, and then alter them to fit your melody?

If it's the latter, I would think that would be an exercise in extreme frustration, and become so time consuming that it wouldn't be worth the end result.

Any one know for sure?

The interface of Melodyne is pretty straight forward and it is possible to manipulate segments quickly enough to personalize a line.

However if you're a sax player, you'd lay down that stuff much quicker

I haven't heard the demo yet but this might be very handy when in need of a quick sax phrase...

Man, some of demos sound pretty nasty to me, but looks interesting. I womder how many base phrases are available??

I've edited and played around with sample phrases on Melodyn. It's no picnic, but light years ahead of any other audio editing tools for musical phrasing of audio event.

Emulating Jazz IMHO is best done in real time grasping hold of ones expression and intent. The takes that follow from other instruments need to always support some some sought of a conversation in the process.

If this sound from the demo (sounds like an Alto Sax) can be acheived in real time playing, we've moved up a notch or two here..

If it is a matter of doing surgery by first laying down the sax midi line and then disecting it's parts by adding all of these articulations, this could be very time consuming possibly losing site of what the real player intended.

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

Quote Originally Posted by P de Caumette
    The interface of Melodyne is pretty straight forward and it is possible to manipulate segments quickly enough to personalize a line.

However if you're a sax player, you'd lay down that stuff much quicker

I haven't heard the demo yet but this might be very handy when in need of a quick sax phrase...
    Precisely, that's exactly what this product is aiming for.

Judging from the demos, this seemed to be more pop oriented than jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lindsley
    Judging from the demos, this seemed to be more pop oriented than jazz.
    Pop? I don't think so. I mean Ueberschall products are mostly for electronic music (house, drum'n'bass, triphop, hiphop) artists and producers so is not for the pure jazz crowd either.

Although I think their products work on every context and I believe Liquid Sax is no exception.

Taken from the site:
    the L.I.S. saxophone edition contains a great range of styles played on baritone, tenor, alto, and soprano saxophones. we have included styles
    such as:
    smooth 50 s bar-jazz, swing, bebop, hardbop, boogaloo, soulful 60 s riffs, funky 70 s licks, smoky bossa novas, latin brazil styles, dirty rock
    phrases, 80 s pop, 90 s acid jazz, nu jazz and many more...

Go Back to forum