• Register
  • Help

Topic: Slow Strings Question Again

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Slow Strings Question Again

I posted a question yesterday about getting the Slow Strings effect in GPO. Back in my softsynth days I used String Ensemble 1(Legato Strings) and String Ensemble 2(Slow Strings). Someone responded by telling me to use Expression(CC1) with the Mod Wheel in GPO Studio to achieve this.

Okay, since I'm new to GPO I'm gonna need someone to take me by the hand and walk me through the step-by-step on how to do this. I'd also be interested in any tutorials that could help me.

Re: Slow Strings Question Again

What sequencer are you using?

The mod wheel controls the volume/timbre of the instrument. Slow strings is basicly an extremely slow attack with a VERY long release tail. GPO's attacks and release tails aren't long enough for a really slow strings effect, but if you get really picky with the mod data you can get a GREAT effect.

What you want to do is start a note when you want it to start, and at the start of the note have the mod wheel set to 0. As the note progresses move the mod wheel up to the desired dynamic level and when you want the note to release, still hold the note but fade it out with the mod wheel.

Did that make sence?

I hope that helped a little.

-Chris

I'm using SONAR 4 Producer Edition and Overture 3. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

The way you describe sounds pretty manual, but if it's do-able I'll try it out.

Thanks.

A less manuel way, to do it would be to use the lowest possible velocities and use the legnth control (CC#21) at it's highest value. This will yeild a slightly faster slow strings, but it might work for your purposes. This method requires no tedious mod data, so it is much easier.

Experiment with these controls.

-Chris

Another helpfull thing is if you are inputing by keyboard is to "think" keyboard "legato". In other words run notes into each other or "overlap". THe above mentioned in conjunction with this will work fine(the CC for length). Secondly layering one of the many solos with each section and playing them independantly will result in a more realistic sound as start/stop times will always vary with a group and having a solo for each line helps create this illusion as opposed to sticking with ensemble patches.

Go Back to forum