• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best part of the Election?

Share/Bookmark

Talking Best part of the Election?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Stephen Twiggs face when he lost his seat.

Re: Best part of the Election?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    Rumor has it that Blair won't be around much longer.

A couple nights ago, the Daily Show did this great bit comparing British town hall meetings with American town hall meetings.

In the British meetings, Blair was under the interrogation spotlight as citizens GRILLED him mercilessly.

In the American meetings, staged by the Bush administration, citizens were telling Bush what a wonderful president he is.

The contrast was hilarious. And I was, to say the least, a bit envious of the British. We used to be able to speak our minds.

I guess those days are over.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    Rumor has it that Blair won't be around much longer.

A couple nights ago, the Daily Show did this great bit comparing British town hall meetings with American town hall meetings.

In the British meetings, Blair was under the interrogation spotlight as citizens GRILLED him mercilessly.

In the American meetings, staged by the Bush administration, citizens were telling Bush what a wonderful president he is.

The contrast was hilarious. And I was, to say the least, a bit envious of the British. We used to be able to speak our minds.

I guess those days are over.
    That's no so easy a call as it might have been now Rob. Had the Tories won say, another 15 to 20 seats then I would have given Blair 2 months max - but with a 66 or so majority, it may be dependent on how Labour is made up.

If there are still a lot of left-wingers in there, then maybe within 12 months - if not, he will hand over in maybe 2 years. Then again, he might not - it depends on how impatient Brown is and if there are any big votes in the House that go against him, courtesy of his own rebel MP's.

Most of the country now, for your information, is geographically blue - but that is just area and not translated into seats.

Howard has already announced he is stepping down as the leader of the Tories - the next leader will probably be David Davies I would think.

The big story for me, apart from Labour now having to look over their shoulder, is the the glass ceiling that the Liberals have now hit. They have probably maxed out on seats - and quite frankly, their results have got to be disappointing for them.

Well, you can definitely speak your mind Rob - it's whether anyone listens or not - that's the trick of it. I wouldn't be too envious of the British - there's an economic bombshell waiting to happen anytime soon.

Most of the country now, for your information, is geographically blue - but that is just are and not translated into seats.
    The Tories got even less votes than Labour. How can you possibly claim that?

I wouldn't be too envious of the British - there's an economic bombshell waiting to happen anytime soon.
    Lol. Tories have been claiming that since the day Blair took office. There are a lot of sour grapes around at the idea that a Labour government CAN actually govern the country effectively - like the lower classes are getting beyond their station or something.

For the record, I voted Lib Dem, not Labour - largely because of Iraq, as we discussed in the other thread.

I liked the guy who did the Bush impression - he's from that Little Brittain show right?

The whole UK elections looked like one big circus to me. That's what you get when people stick to traditions :P

Or: waking up to find the nasty party have been consigned to another 4-5 years in the political wilderness (again) and trying to find a new leader (again).

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZeus
    Or: waking up to find the nasty party have been consigned to another 4-5 years in the political wilderness (again) and trying to find a new leader (again).

Hey Doctor Zeus - what goes around, comes around - think Michael Portillo. And then think about how he was then treated by the media. And remember- the BBC are so far up Labours a s s and have been for years, you'd need a chimney sweep to extricate them.

Twigg hasn't had any of that - he just stood there looking like the poof lemon he is. Capice!

They don't need to find a new leader - Howard explained all that - age etc. He's doing the right thing. Shame though - because he makes Blair look like a little boy at the ballot box, which is very entertaining.

That was a good result for the Tories - so no worries from this quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch that hurts
    The Tories got even less votes than Labour. How can you possibly claim that?
    Geographical land area. I explained they got more seats, but the seats, as you well know, are very concentrated in certain areas. Having said that, Cornwall went completely gold. The biggest winner of this election were the non voters with 40% not turning out. 36% Labour and 32% Tory.

Lol. Tories have been claiming that since the day Blair took office. There are a lot of sour grapes around at the idea that a Labour government CAN actually govern the country effectively - like the lower classes are getting beyond their station or something.
    You seem to imply from this part of your post, that Tories actually want this to happen. Believe me, they and certainly not I, wish anything of the sort. This is poor to suggest sour grapes - the Tories have got to be pleased with that result - there was no way they were ever going to win this election, and everyone knew it.

(a) There are more personal bankruptcies now than ever before - including the early nineties
    (b) Credit card payments are getting later and later by the month
    (c) No one has any idea, least of all the Labour party, how they will manage government debt if the GDP figures go phut - which they may easily do.

I was bought up next to a WWII bomb site, sharing a flat with another family in the early fifties - then progressed to an asbestos council prefab. WTF are you talking about - lower classes. Bollocks statement! My great -aunt was Wilsons PM in the 60's - they were definitely not what anyone would call from the so-called lower classes. I don't believe in class and you should remember by now - I can't stand the institution of royalty - go figure.

For the record, I voted Lib Dem, not Labour - largely because of Iraq, as we discussed in the other thread.
    Lol - that's probably the one thing that Blair will be remembered for that he almost got right in years to come. Guarantee it.

Gald to see you've got a reliable crystal ball that allows you to guarantee the future.

Personally I think history will vilify the Bush-Blair bum-chum club for the whole Middle Eastern debacle. But neither of us can see into the future, and neither of us have more proof for our belief than the other (though the fact that their declared reason for war has already been shown, and ADMITTED, to have no basis whatsover in fact, is a pretty good start).

I know nothing about your background so I apologise for the faux pas about class. I just find it funny when Tories so utterly refuse to admit when Labour DO do things right.

Unemployment is low, inflation has been low and steady. They have (so far) managed to avoid the massive boom-bust cycles in house prices that characterised many Tory administrations. Negative equity anyone?

The UK has ridden much more smoothly through most of the international economic turbulance of the last eight years than most countries. Part of the reason for the government's reluctance to join the Euro at this point is that our economic situation is better than that of most of Europe by most measurements. It's also looking better than that of the USA, which is swiftly building up a record deficit under a government that is supposed to stand for good old-fashioned right wing economic responsibility.

And a damn sight better than it was under Major.

Furthermore, Blair has had to do this while all the while pacifying the left wing of his party that want more government spending. He hasn't had the luxury Thatcher had of being able to just say "f*** the poor" and drive an axe through the whole damn lot. I really think that managing to pull off this balancing act - keeping the economy as steady as they have while not raising income tax rates, and still being able to do some good things in terms of support for the poor, education etc - has been tantamount to a minor miracle.

I just wish he hadn't blown the whole thing by blindly following the Redneck into an unfounded, illegal war killing thousands.

No worries, Paul - I couldn't resist. Probably loads of ways we would get on and stuff we would agree about... but, for the most part, I don't think politics will be one.

Hey Doctor Zeus - what goes around, comes around - think Michael Portillo.
    No, you're right, I enjoyed that one! No matter how reasonable and considered he can come across when interviewed these days, he gives me the willies. Anyone who can reinvent himself *that* quickly from bulging eyed, frothing at the mouth Thatcherite to open-neck shirted, inclusive, man-of-the-people one nation Tory when he smelled the change in the air cannot be trusted.

I believe he may actually be a mythical evil shape-shifter.

And then think about how he was then treated by the media. And remember- the BBC are so far up Labours a s s and have been for years, you'd need a chimney sweep to extricate them.
    You seriously buy that line?!? I'm not sure Greg Dyke or Andrew Gilligan would go along with you on that!

Twigg hasn't had any of that - he just stood there looking like the poof lemon he is. Capice!

They don't need to find a new leader - Howard explained all that - age etc. He's doing the right thing. Shame though - because he makes Blair look like a little boy at the ballot box, which is very entertaining.

That was a good result for the Tories - so no worries from this quarter.
    They still are going to need a new leader (5th in 8 years?). It was only a good result for the Tories if you are referencing the extremely rare huge majority Labour had going in to the election. In historical terms, it was a very heavy defeat - I don't remember too many people saying Michael Foot got a good result in '82 with a similar margin of defeat! And at a time when the incumbent government have already been there for eight years and the gloss has well and truly worn off and have well and truly p*ssed off most of the country by embarking on a hugely unpopular war that got 1-2 million usually apathetic citizens onto the streets to protest about it.

But I didn't vote Labour (though as usual my vote was completely meaningless because of the ridiculous undemocractic system of representation we have) and I am glad that their majority has been cut - hopefully we will get better examined and more negotiated legislation over the next parliment.

Cheers,

DZ

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast