• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: question about Sibelius, GPO & orchestral scores

Share/Bookmark

question about Sibelius, GPO & orchestral scores

Is there any way to set up an orchestral score in Sibelius using GPO studio such that a single staff can contain 2 instruments (such as flute 1 and flute 2), with each one set to a different GPO sound? Thus far I seem to only be able to set each staff to one sound. This is easily done in Overture but I was wondering if it was possible in Sibelius, since I own both. Thanks for any help!
    - robjohn
    --------
    Sibelius 3.1, Powermac dual 2.0 G5, Overture 3.6

Re: question about Sibelius, GPO & orchestral scores

At the moment this is not possible in Sibelius as it only allows one MIDI channel per staff. You can, of course, increase the polyphony of the flute sound in order to play more than one voice but it will still be the same instrument. I know overture handles this very well and apparently Overture 4 will be even more GPO friendly. It's hard to say with Sibelius as they are very hush-hush about when their next version is coming out and what changes will be made.

I have struggled with the same issue myself and have basically settled on doing the composing in Sibelius using the Kontakt Gold player (built-in), then exporting a MIDI file of the score and using GPO with Sonar for the final mock-up. Laborious to say the least.

Still a newbie at Sibelius, but my current process is to write the piece from beginning to end completely in Sonar with full sounds, then to bring it into Sibelius and clean it up for pretty viewing. I guess I'm Backwards Man(tm) in this regard.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Thanks for your comments! Wow. So I guess that Overture is truly the only integrated solution. I love the elegance and ease-of-use of Sibelius for notation, so it's a shame it doesn't offer this functionality. Back to Overture (though I wish Geniesoft would hurry up with Overture 4 :-))...
    - robjohn

The best solution is to use keyswitched GPO sounds. Sibelius easily triggers keyswitches. Just add a Note-Off command to the technique text. For instance ~O64 would be hidden text for a noteOff of MIDI note #64.

It's unfortunate that the Kontakt Player doesn't support program changes. MIDI modules have supported this feature forever.

Does anybody know if K2 supports program changes?

-JF

Apologies - I do not know Sibelius at all - but in Finale you can enter an expression to change channel mid-staff. Is this not possible in Sibelius?
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

No, unfortunately not. Maybe in a future version, when they will start listening to what their customers want.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

USE OVERTURE

Tell us how you really feel, Joseph.

-JF

Sorry, I was trying to be subtle.

Go Back to forum