• Register
  • Help

Topic: Another newbies first effort...

Share/Bookmark

Another newbies first effort...

Hi everyone,

I've been hanging around the forum for a while, checking out all the fine work you are all producing and biding my time till it was mine turn to post something.

I was working on a grand orchestral piece I was going to post first but after finding my sequencer had mangled its own file and I lost a weekend's work, I decided I should try something more modest. About 8 hours later this is what I had.

Its my first completed GPO effort and only my third classical composition. It a string quintet (2 Violins, Viola, Cello & Bass) and all pure bred GPO solo strings.

Temporary Quintet

Enjoy!

Tom.

Re: Another newbies first effort...

Tom,

Welcome to the GPO family. I really enjoyed listening to your quintet. You have certainly grasped the subtleties of GPO in a short time. The motifs were developed beautifully and there many delightful passages that held my interest well. You have a great sense of style and new just when to make changes in the piece to make it captivating. For me, it was truly a delightful work. Sorry if I don’t have enough time to organize my thoughts better, but suffice to say I enjoyed it very much. Please contribute more real soon?

It's too bad you had trouble getting the orchestral piece together. I've always found, however, that when ever something like that happens, the second attempt is often much better. Good luck with it.

Thanks for posting this,

Karl

Smile Re: Another newbies first effort...

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Tom,

Welcome to the GPO family. I really enjoyed listening to your quintet. You have certainly grasped the subtleties of GPO in a short time. The motifs were developed beautifully and there many delightful passages that held my interest well. You have a great sense of style and new just when to make changes in the piece to make it captivating. For me, it was truly a delightful work. Sorry if I don’t have enough time to organize my thoughts better, but suffice to say I enjoyed it very much. Please contribute more real soon?

It's too bad you had trouble getting the orchestral piece together. I've always found, however, that when ever something like that happens, the second attempt is often much better. Good luck with it.

Thanks for posting this,

Karl
    Thanks Karl, I'm glad you liked it. Sound advice about my techincal troubles as well, I think you are right about things being better the second time around, certainly things are never the same. Its all part of the magic of making music I'll get on it real soon.

Hi Tom -

This was fantastic! It felt like a movie score to me (then again, almost everything sounds like a movie score to me). There was so much life and action going on in the piece. I felt like you had a story going on through your mind while you wrote this. And you really made those GPO strings sing! They sometimes sound thin in the upper registers, but they sounded excellent in your piece!

Keep up the wonderful work! Beautiful composition.

- Michael
    -----------------------------
    - Michael Fortunato

Quote Originally Posted by mfortunato
    Hi Tom -

This was fantastic! It felt like a movie score to me (then again, almost everything sounds like a movie score to me). There was so much life and action going on in the piece. I felt like you had a story going on through your mind while you wrote this. And you really made those GPO strings sing! They sometimes sound thin in the upper registers, but they sounded excellent in your piece!

Keep up the wonderful work! Beautiful composition.

- Michael
    Cheers Micheal, I tried to make one idea grow out of the previous idea throughout the piece and not repeat myself to much. I have to admit the main thing going through my mind at the time was a honking flu virus, I was riddled with fever. Maybe some of that came across in it
    --------------------------------------
    http://www.soundclick.com/tomboswell

Go Back to forum