• Register
  • Help

Topic: Seek advice for fresh XP install

Share/Bookmark

Seek advice for fresh XP install

I'll have to re-install XP Home on a new drive for GS3.
    If I remember well, when (quite a while ago....) I did the previous Win XP install I had to follow a tweak procedure which was at the time recommended by Nemesys (or maybe Tascam, don't remeber well) :
    pressing f5 (or f7 maybe ?) during the beginning of the procedure, in order to avoid a "normal" install, and to be able to request a so-called "standard PC" install instead.
    I believe it was something necessary because of the way Win XP handles "acpi" and irqs, which was not good for GS specifically, and for other audio apps in general.
    But, more recently, I seem to recall that I read (somewhere, where ?) it is no longer necessary to do that, with more modern hardware/software.
    So, who can tell me what I have to do ? Simple, or custom install ?
    Thanks in advance !

Re: Seek advice for fresh XP install

It depened on the age of the motherboard. Standard PC was recommended at one time. But from my experience I had more instability with Standard PC with a board that was manufactured in 2002.
    Hardware technology changes so fast, I usually don't follow any printed advice that's 2 or 3 years old.

If your motherboard supports only ACPI you should go for a "standard pc" install.

If your motherboard supports APIC (thus ACPI) you should go for a normal install.

It has to do with IRQ sharing. ACPI mobo gives the OS control over IRQ, but the system groups them under a virtual single shared IRQ. This can cause some problems.

APIC is an addition to ACPI that allows the same thing but creates many virtual IRQ in the system. An audio card can reside on its own IRQ without problems.

A "standard pc" install returns IRQ attribution to the mobo bypassing the OS. It then gives a standard IRQ according to physical PCI bus.

Jean-Guy

Thanks to both of you for your replies.
    Well, I guess I'll try a normal install first, because my motherboard is not too old and seems to know "apic".
    Anyway, if I see that it's not really good for me, I'll just have to make a new install before the activation deadline ends ! (I just hope that too many activations at Tascam will not be a problem !!)

You really should consider getting norton ghost if you can. You will be able to make an 'image' of your fresh install so you can return to that state any time there is an inkling of a problem. About the IRQ's , check this link out (it's for m-audio gear, but it explains how to deal with IRQ's):

IRQ troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by inteleky
    You really should consider getting norton ghost if you can. You will be able to make an 'image' of your fresh install so you can return to that state any time there is an inkling of a problem. About the IRQ's , check this link out (it's for m-audio gear, but it explains how to deal with IRQ's):

IRQ troubleshooting
    Thank Inteleky,for your tips and link.
    As for Norton Ghost, I already heard of this, and if I remember well, I even tried to learn more but it seemed a complex thing to my average-sized brain.....
    I'm already overwhelmed by the number of manuals that I shoud read entirely (gigapulse, GS Edit, and some others....), so if this software is really simple to handle, I may give it a try. If it requires a steep learning curve and hours of reading, no.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbellog
    Thank Inteleky,for your tips and link.
    As for Norton Ghost, I already heard of this, and if I remember well, I even tried to learn more but it seemed a complex thing to my average-sized brain.....
    I'm already overwhelmed by the number of manuals that I shoud read entirely (gigapulse, GS Edit, and some others....), so if this software is really simple to handle, I may give it a try. If it requires a steep learning curve and hours of reading, no.
    It isn't terribly difficult to set up. You just install it and follow the prompts. The idea behind it is simple. Ghost creates a compressed file called an 'image' of any drive or partition. In other words, an image is a snapshot of any drive, such as the drive you have your win xp operating system on. You can then store the image on a CD or another drive.

The trick is to make this image, which is essentially a backup, when windows is working perfectly and giga is happy and you have got everything just right. When windows starts to give you even an inkling of a problem (like a virus, blue screen off death, crashes or freezes), you just open ghost up, say resotre image, and then five minutes later everything is back to where your system was when you made the image. No more banging your head against the computer trying to figure things out while your creativity seeps out yourr ears. Downtime is the biggest creativity killer.

Just be forewarned, when you restore an image, the destination drive gets wipped completely. So if you store you outlook mail, or your favorites or anything on the desktop or any file you care about, you will need to put them in a safe place (i.e. your audio drive or documents drive). The ideal setup would have an operating system on its own drive, and all documents and everything else on a sperate drive. This will enable you to instantly re-image a system without havingg to wory if you are erasiing important things.

The whole purpose of ghost is to minimize downtime. I'm sure you know just how much work it is to do a fresh OS install. It takes forever to get everythiing just right. With ghost, you never need to do that again because you will always have that known working image. That's why I'm suggesting you do this now, so you can get that working image and rest peacefully knowing you will never need to spend 48 hours getting your ccomputer back to normal.

Also, checck out the post called 'Any tips for using Giga 3 Orchestra with Logic Pro 7'. It has many handy tips and Giga optimizing strategies, even if there are some that don'e meet your needs.

Okay, Inteleky,
    I'll give Ghost a try..... when I have an opportunity :
    right now, GS3, that I just re-installed on my clean new drive/PC(PC which is really smoking with Kontakt 2 stand-alone/vst, Gold stand-alone/vst, FM7, B4, etc.and V-Stack, just granted me the most dreadful horror story I could have ever imagined....
    But it's another story, which is worth another post...
    Thanks anyway !

Go Back to forum