• Register
  • Help

Topic: Was that really a goal???

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Was that really a goal???

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Liverpool versus Chelsea in the semi-final of the European Cup.

Whoa! Were Chelsea robbed or what? I dunno - being a neutral observer. How can the ref and the linesman give that as goal to decide who goes throught to the European Cup Final.

Gotta say congrats to Liverpool, but Chelsea have a case for thinking they may have been hard done by,

Re: Was that really a goal???

Haven't seen the game yet, Paul. What happened?
    - Layne

Quote Originally Posted by Layne
    Haven't seen the game yet, Paul. What happened?
    Well Layne, I remember thinking this would be too close to call - but that was a bit ridiculous. I can tell you, but then it might ruin your viewing enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    Well Layne, I remember thinking this would be too close to call - but that was a bit ridiculous. I can tell you, but then it might ruin your viewing enjoyment.
    Fair enough, I'm still looking for when the re-broadcast is scheduled.
    - Layne

Quote Originally Posted by Layne
    Fair enough, I'm still looking for when the re-broadcast is scheduled.
    OK Layne - well I assume you know the score, so I guess it won't ruin much.

About 7 minutes in there was a scramble in the Chelsea box - the ball went loose and then there was another sort of scramble in the 6 yard box. The ball bounced towards the line and a Chelsea defender kicked it off the line. Ref and the linesman gave a goal. How????

They showed 4 different camera angles at half-time and there was no way you could conclusively say the ball was over the line. How you can give that in a game so important is a mystery. it was a joke - Venables, the ex England manager couldn't believe it. He did play for Chelsea and Tottenham once upon a time though. Haha!

Anyway, good luck to Liverpool in the final - don't fancy their chances much, but you never know. No that happy about where the final is being played.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    About 7 minutes in there was a scramble in the Chelsea box - the ball went loose and then there was another sort of scramble in the 6 yard box. The ball bounced towards the line and a Chelsea defender kicked it off the line. Ref and the linesman gave a goal. How????
    There's no way they could have been sure either way. Not to give it could have been just as wrong. They made a split second decision on the balance of probabilities. A goal is something that's given, not scored.

That's football: See, there's no way they should have let a foreign pretend-English club go through. It's not good for the game. How can your chest fill with pride by the success of a team that's owned by foreigners, managed by foreigners and includes only foreign players (Terry and Lampard are anomalies). At least Liverpool is English-ish, well at least, slightly more English-ish than Chelsea. We want S~~~~horpe United to win the Champions League. THEN, at last, we can be proud as a nation.

Edit: Ok. busted. There's a ~~~~ in S~~~~horpe (probably more). I rename the town Stwatthorpe, Smingethorpe?

Yeah- I had that trouble with S~~~~horpe United here once.

Hawkeye has now been bought into play and FWIW, shows the ball was 4 cms short of crossing the line. Whether that is an entirely accurate method or not is probably irrelevant - the point is, if it's that close, my point is, how could a ref and linesman give it? On a game like that - worth so much money with a lot at stake.

Yeah Beckers - your point about Chelsea is not lost on me - sigh - that isn't really the point I'm making here is it? A month or so ago for example, Arsenal fielded an entire team, including subs, that had no English players in it at all. My team, Tottenham Hotspur has many foreign players and also a Dutchman is the manager - and he's GOOD!

The minute Sky television became involved in the Premier League was the end of football as it was - period. This is a whole different thread. What the crappy FA could have done, was the same as in cricket - maybe something like 2 overseas players only. Can you see the FA doing that? I don't think so - too much money involved - I lost interest in the FA when they failed to give Brian Clough the England job.

S~~~~horpe United - if they ever got into the position to win the European Cup, their whole team would have overseas players under the current system.

Anyway, all this is very interesting, but doesn't take away the point that Chelsea have been seen off possibly by a crappy ref and linesman decision once again in an important game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Are Sir Paul or Ringo playing by any chance?

Ern
    Uhhhhh - No Ern!

But they'll be shouting and screaming with the rest of them you don't want to worry about that.

Go Back to forum