• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Compatibility Question for Mr Persing

Share/Bookmark

Compatibility Question for Mr Persing

Hello

I recently bought Vocal Planet in Akai format to use in Cakewalk Project 5 which can read Akai S5000/6000 format. When I insert any of the 5 CDs into my PC, Project cannot read them - it's as if they are invisible to my PC. I tried Spectrasonics Tech Support who said I should contact Cakewalk who said it wasn't their problem.

Can you tell me please what type of files are on the CDs. Are there .akp files on the CDs? If these discs are supposed to be in S-3000 format and tested and modified to be fully compatible with 5000/6000 - they should work but I currently have a $400 set of coasters that I cannot return to the store.

Please help
    Julie

Re: Compatibility Question for Mr Persing

The Vocal Planet discs are S-3000 format...that's quite different than S-5000/6000 format.

So if Project Five can't read S-3000 Akai format (which is amazing if true, since EVERY other platform does read this format....very few libraries exist in 5000/6000 format), then what you need to do is get CD-Xtract or Translator to convert the Akai discs into a platform that can be read by Project Five.

www.cdxtract.com

It's really worth having, especially if you want to use any of the thousands of CD-ROM sample libraries out there....this would be invaluable for you to have.

spectrum

Page 20 of the Booklet that came with the CDs states...

"The Akai CD-ROM version of Vocal Planet is in Akai S-3000 format. It has been tested and modified to be fully compatible with S-1000, 2000, 5000/6000."

Cakewalk Project 5 can read 5000/6000 format - therefore these CDs should work but they don't. Neither the Spectrasonics site or the Cakewalk site ever mentioned the need for a 3rd party tool - these would have influenced my purchased decision and at the very least, given me the opportunity to decide if the extra steps/hassle was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by jmeredith
    Page 20 of the Booklet that came with the CDs states...

"The Akai CD-ROM version of Vocal Planet is in Akai S-3000 format. It has been tested and modified to be fully compatible with S-1000, 2000, 5000/6000."
    That's absolutely correct and accurate. The Akai S-5000/6000 hardware samplers read the Vocal Planet discs flawlessly and we tested this very carefully on every brand of Akai hardware sampler.

I think you are confusing the format type with the actual physical hardware units that Akai made. The notes in the VP booklet go on to refer to the specific Akai models as "the S-5000/6000"...meaning the hardware device.

Cakewalk Project 5 can read 5000/6000 format - therefore these CDs should work but they don't.
    No, that's not correct.

S-5000/6000 format Akai discs are entirely different than S-1000/3000 format Akai discs.

99% of all Akai CD-ROMs on the market are either S-1000 or S-3000 format....almost none are in S-5000/6000 format.

Neither the Spectrasonics site or the Cakewalk site ever mentioned the need for a 3rd party tool - these would have influenced my purchased decision and at the very least, given me the opportunity to decide if the extra steps/hassle was worth it.
    I'm sorry that you had this experience. Let me try to explain why you have had this happen....it's a highly unusual case.

First of all, you are probably our very first Project 5 customer purchasing a sample library from us. That probably seems wild to imagine, but I would bet that it's true. Project 5 users rarely buy pro sample libraries that cost more than Project Five does, so this is quite a rarity indeed!

Next, Project Five is probably the first and only system in the world that is exclusively compatible with S-5000/6000 series discs. This is extremely unusual and makes no sense, considering that there are virtually no 5000/6000 sample libraries on the market! 5000/6000 format is easier to read, since it is basically wav. data PC formatted....so maybe Cakewalk wanted to advertise Akai compatibility, but didn't go the extra, but essential step of including 1000/3000 format....which is THE true Akai standard on the market for sample libraries.

Since all soft samplers on the market (HALion, Mach Five, Kontakt, Giga, EXS24. V-Sampler, etc) read S-1000/3000 format, (and therefore work well with our sample libraries) we've never found it necessary to specifically post info otherwise. The Project Five situation is a first.

This is why the industry standard way of listing Akai CD-ROMs is to not mention the specfic format in the literature UNLESS it is S-5000/6000 format. It is widely practiced in the sample library industry to simply say "Akai" when it is S-1000 or S-3000 format, which have historically been completely upwards compatible with every hardware and software sampler that read Akai format.

As far as the hassle you've experienced, that's really Cakewalk's fault, by not making it more clear that their software does not work with virtually any of the several thousand Akai sample libraries that have been produced. You would have had the identical experience with all other sample library vendors that you had with Spectrasonics.

I'm just sorry that was your first experience with us!

It's always a good idea to check in advance of any sample library purchase to find out from the vendor if it is compatible with your system. We answer questions like this many times a week from potential library customers, and we've never had a request about Project Five that I'm aware of.

As far as CD-Xtract goes, it's a great program that will immediately solve the incompatibility issues you've discovered with Project Five and it will open up the universe of libraries that are currently closed to you, due to Cakewalk's omission of the most popular sample library format of all time.

The cool thing is that CD-Xtract can batch convert an entire library at once...so it shouldn't take too long to get it happening in a format that you can read. It makes a lot more sense to solve the problem with CD-Xtract than to wait for Cakewalk to implement S-1000/3000 format compatibility.

Good luck and let us know howthe process goes. I hope it's more smooth from here than it's been so far.

All the best,

spectrum

AFAIK PCs can't read any AKAI discs, at least this is always the case as I have found it. However, programs like Translator can read what you can't see (!) and convert the files so that a PC can see them.

Daryl

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    AFAIK PCs can't read any AKAI discs, at least this is always the case as I have found it. However, programs like Translator can read what you can't see (!) and convert the files so that a PC can see them.

Daryl
    All the software samplers have some kind of conversion utilities included that can read Akai discs into a PC.

spectrum

First of all, you are probably our very first Project 5 customer purchasing a sample library from us. That probably seems wild to imagine, but I would bet that it's true. Project 5 users rarely buy pro sample libraries that cost more than Project Five does, so this is quite a rarity indeed!

While I do understand the general line of reasoning spectrum has expressed, this sentence is not precise.

A sensible percentage of Project 5 owners are Sonar owners as well, as many customers think they complement each other very well. Many of them are Sonar Producer owners. Many of them have sample libraries totalling several thousands.

-René G. Ceballos
    Cakewalk Music Software

Quote Originally Posted by René
    While I do understand the general line of reasoning spectrum has expressed, this sentence is not precise.

A sensible percentage of Project 5 owners are Sonar owners as well, as many customers think they complement each other very well. Many of them are Sonar Producer owners. Many of them have sample libraries totalling several thousands.

-René G. Ceballos
    Cakewalk Music Software
    Hi René,

That's good to know. Our libraries do not work directly with Sonar though, as a software sampler is required.

Does Cakewalk plan to implement Akai S-1000/3000 importing support in the future?

All the best,

spectrum

Just to be clear then... will I be able to play these cd's in Intakt or Kompakt?
    Both mention Import and Compatibility with AKAI™ S-1000/S-3000.

FWIW... I checked with the store I purchased from, Cakewalk and Spectrasonics and was told they would work no problem. Had I known this forum existed and that you were here - I would have posted the question.

Our tech support department at Spectrasonics told you that it would work in advance of your purchase? If so, I apologize for that.

They are usually very cautious about giving recommendations unless we know for sure that it's truly compatible. Maybe you got a recommendation from ILIO sales?

Kompakt would be the right choice for VP. Intakt is more like a drum slicer and VP wouldn't make much sense in that unit.

Thanks for your patience! I can see how this could have been a pretty frustrating experience!

All the best,

spectrum :-)

Go Back to forum