• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: k2 what if you turn off hyperthreading?

Share/Bookmark

k2 what if you turn off hyperthreading?

Hi all i have k2 and boy does it suck cpu and memory. We have all heard about the bugs and what not. But one thing i noticed, when i load the d steinway, and the convultion is on it just spits and sputters i turn off the conavution and i am all fine. But i lose the whole convolution. Some have mentioned turning off the multiprocessor support. But No one has talked about hyperthreading. Sence hyperthreading is not a true dual processer woudl it help if we turned ht off? I rembmer those who used giga 3 for a while had to turn on ht or it would crash. I dont know if that is still true as i am not a giga use. But i have looked all over the net and found nothign saying that K2 supports HT, so i wonder if we shold turn on mutil support and turn off HT what do you all think have any of you done this and did it make a difference?

Re: k2 what if you turn off hyperthreading?

Have you updated to 2.01?

Yes i have. And everything works fine as long as there is no convolution running.

but still does not work as great as k1.5.3 but i still wonder if anybody has seen any improvemnt or not with turning off ht if they dont have a true dual processer system. Oh by the way. should k2 be installed on the same drive as your samples or differnt drives?

I woudl still like to know about the whole ht thing as giga users had probles with it for a long time.

Its generally recommended to leave HT for all audio apps. Im not aware of a sequencer or plugin that works well with it on.

I have disabled it on a dual Xeon. Ive also read that others running dual xeons in studios are leaving it disabled too.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Why dont you just try it? Should be no more than one shutdown/restart. I had some problems with HT and cubase, so i deactivatetd it and never gave a thought about it again. Never had any troubles again.

Dennis

Odd that you're encountering problems with convolution. I've run two full instances of K2 with two convolutions and get realtime playback no problem.

quick poll (for all of you)
    please post exactly your CPU (frequencies) and config and tell us how much u are confortable with k2
    I have a P4 2.6 and I have quite a fast hd I can go up to 600 polyphonies or so but once a single convolution instance is up I have spits at 30 polyphonies and (quasi-)random CPU spikes/stutters during playback
    I have to upgrade anyway.. but first I want to know the 'configs that work'

Quote Originally Posted by k-nar
    quick poll (for all of you)
    please post exactly your CPU (frequencies) and config and tell us how much u are confortable with k2
    I have a P4 2.6 and I have quite a fast hd I can go up to 600 polyphonies or so but once a single convolution instance is up I have spits at 30 polyphonies and (quasi-)random CPU spikes/stutters during playback
    I have to upgrade anyway.. but first I want to know the 'configs that work'
    600 stereo voices? I dont think so.. Your lucky to get 180 on a P4 2.6. Rich

but anyway this is really not the point. 100 polyphonies would be actually more than enough for my use but it just doesn't work with the convulation engine on my P4 2.6
    if someone can answer my question ..

Ok i tired k2 with hyper threading off, and no difference. Its all the convoltuoin is what screws it all up that is when i get pops and crackels no other time. So its something in the conv i figure maybe an update will fixe this. Also i rembmer in 1.5.3 that i use to see the dvd meter acutally move, mine harld ever moves only blinks unless i ahve like completey loaded k2 to the max. ok jsut wanted you all to know that turning off ht does not do any good. still problematic.

Go Back to forum