• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: DXi Tempo Changes? HELP!!!!

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation DXi Tempo Changes? HELP!!!!

I'm currently working on a peice with a tempo change. I don't have any sequencers that support VSTi, so I'm stuck in the world of DXi. I know that tempo changes during a note in a DXi will cause that note to be stuck, but my tempo change takes place during a MIDI tick that has absolutely nothing playing in it (except for maybe some reverb). What happens is that the last note plays of the slow tempo, the fast tempo begins the tick after the cutoff, the new note inside the fast tempo plays the tick after the tempo change, and it gets stuck.

Here's the weird part: this stuck note does not happen during normal playback. Only when I export the audio. The performance is perfect during normal playback, but when I export audio the note sticks.

I'm using Cakewalk Music Creator 2002 on a computer with a P4 1.8 ghz processor and 1 gb of RAM.

HELP!!!!!!

-Chris

Re: DXi Tempo Changes? HELP!!!!

You'll need to VSTi version unfortunately. There is no workaround with the DXi tempo change bug.

You may be able to purchase the VST Adapter but I'm not sure if it's compatible with your Cakewalk software. You may want to contact Cakewalk tech support. The other option is to upgrade to one of the bigger packages such as Sonar 4.

One thing that you might try is to place another note of the same pitch as the hanging note *after* the tempo change at approximately the time it should cut off. Make this note the shortest duration possible so that it barely sounds. Hopefully this second note will "cancel out" the first note!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Cakewalk used to offer a free VST wrapper that was linked in their support section, but I can't seem to find it there now. I'm sure if you looked around the web you could find it or another one. I'm not sure if a wrapper is a complete solution, but worth a try.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Email their technical support they will send you the link to the VST adapter.
    Styxx

Question Re: DXi Tempo Changes? HELP!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    One thing that you might try is to place another note of the same pitch as the hanging note *after* the tempo change at approximately the time it should cut off. Make this note the shortest duration possible so that it barely sounds. Hopefully this second note will "cancel out" the first note!

- m
    I see what you mean, but the hanging note is the one after the tempo change. It's funny, because there is a run up to that note, and many notes cross the tempo change but don't hang during playback or in an audio export.

Maybe if I delay the hanging note a few ticks after the tempo change?

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    I see what you mean, but the hanging note is the one after the tempo change.
    Well either way, it is my hope that a subsequent note of the same pitch will cancel the previous note. This is because most synths and samplers only keep track of one playing note per MIDI Note Number, so the most recent one will take precedence.

So try putting a short "cut-off note" where you think it should be all the same.

Also, to force a cut-off, you could reduce the polyphony for this part manually, or by using the corresponding "solo" instrument.

(Theoretically, that is!)

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Chris,
    HERE you go. If you're a "registered Cakewalk user", it's $59. If you want to make sure this will do the job, ask on the Music Creator forum on Cakewalk.
    Bill

Markleford, I tried that cutoff note. It works! Thanks!
    And Billp, are there any benifits for VSTi over DXi? I wouldn't like to spend $59 on something I could just fix with a cutoff note with no additional benifits.
    I know I'm going OT here, but what are the benifits of VSTi over DXi?

Thank you all very much for your help!

-Chris

I'm using Sonar and had the same problem with DXis. I read about the VST solution, switched to using VST whenever possible, and haven't had the tempo change/note sustain problem since.

I used to always choose DXi over VSTi when I was given a choice, thinking that the DXis weren't converted/translated and should be more stable and reliable... guess not.
    Dane Hawkes DiAnda
    C. I. Studios

Go Back to forum