• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: RME- vs. GS3-MIDI, to whom it may concern ...

Share/Bookmark

RME- vs. GS3-MIDI, to whom it may concern ...

Hello everybody,
    I had the same problem as many other RME HDSP users with the battle of MIDI drivers between hdspmme.dll and gmidi.dll. With forums' help I could manage to fix it with the regedit change from "midi" to "midi1" (anyone who had or read about this problem will know).

10 minutes ago - in a moment of mental debility - I updated my HDSP driver to version 2.831 and lost my gmidi-entry in the windows registry. Result: No Giga MIDI ports in the sequencer and in other applications any more, of course.

The simple fix was to re-install the latest gigastudio patch (3.04) and I post this information here, because when I enter the registry now, the gmidi.dll can be found on a higher midi-entry (in my case midi4). So I have good hope that I'm well prepared for future driver updates from RME without any concerns about disappearing MIDI-ports.

Greets,
    Ricardo

Re: RME- vs. GS3-MIDI, to whom it may concern ...

Good to know Ricardo,

I tried to install new HDSP 2.90 Driver from 2.82 one in order to experiment with the useful loopback recording function.
    Since I did the update no more possibility to hear any sound in GS3 like for example Black Grand. Midi ports are greyed. Mo chance to hear nothing with virtual GS Keyboard. In Cubase SX 2 no GigaOut: Port 1, 2 ... 8.
    Non existence of HDSP midi driver.
    I had to restaure system in previous state. I would like to know how to update to 2.90 HDSP driver to benefit this big step ahead!
    Maybe I have to reinstall GS v.3.04 like you?

Has somebody else tried to istall this new 2.90 HDSP driver?

Any thought or solution is very well apreciated.

What about the registry entries on your system? which one is the "gmidi" and which the "hdspmme" on your restored system (midi, midi1, ..., midiX)?

I will install the latest driver tonight or maybe tomorrow and will report afterwards ...

greets,
    r.

Quote Originally Posted by 1424682
    What about the registry entries on your system? which one is the "gmidi" and which the "hdspmme" on your restored system (midi, midi1, ..., midiX)?

I will install the latest driver tonight or maybe tomorrow and will report afterwards ...

greets,
    r.
    Thanks for your reply Ricardo,

I donīt know how was the registry when I updated to 2.90 but now everted to 2.82 it is as follow. I donīt think to have HDSP midi driver as any midi1, midi2, midix. As you can see I have hdspmme.dll fo "wave". But gmidi is for "midi". I donīt know wat are the entrie for "midi1" and "midi2". I suppose they are for system Windows and Miditerminal MTS64 (Egosys).
    Maybe I could have a chance of restablish all this staff when you are done with the new 2.90 driver?
    Thanks in advance for any other thought,

Richard Krull

Thanks for your reply Ricardo,

I donīt know how was the registry when I updated to 2.90 but now everted to 2.82 it is as follow. I donīt think to have HDSP midi driver as any midi1, midi2, midix. As you can see I have hdspmme.dll fo "wave". But gmidi is for "midi". I donīt know wat are the entrie for "midi1" and "midi2". I suppose they are for system Windows and Miditerminal MTS64 (Egosys).
    Maybe I could have a chance of restablish all this staff when you are done with the new 2.90 driver?
    Thanks in advance for any other thought,

Richard Krull

I copy previous message text because it was cut (maybe cused by image inclusion)

Hello Richard,
    first of all I admire you for being so up-to-date that you have newer HDSP drivers even than the RME people. At least on "my" RME homepage the newest version for download is 2.831, which I do have installed allready.

The gmidi.dll is the tascam midi driver for gigastudio ports, the hdspmme.dll contains the RME midi drivers, so you must have at least one midi-entry with the hdspmme.dll.

Some time ago I was to install gigastudio on my pc and followed the instructions about renaming the hdspmme-midi entry in the registry (in my case midi2, because I also have a "wdmaud.drv" on midi1). With gmidi.dll as "midi" and the RME driver as "midi2" my system worked until I updated the RME-driver, because the update did overwrite my gmidi-entry. So I have hdspmme.dll as "midi" and as "midi2" since. Reinstalling the Gigastudio-patch solved the problem again (as described earlier) because it didn't overwrite the "midi"-entry again, but created a new one (midi4=gmidi.dll).

I can only give final prove of my "theory" that future updates won't bother me again, if there is a newer RME driver to install (or an upcoming Tascam update).

Maybe you could bring light to the version 2.9 of the RME drivers. Thanks and greetings,
    Ricardo

p.s. Richard Krull is not a very common spanish name, or is it?

RME announced the limitted release of 2.90 on their own support forum
    (news.x-networks.de/rme-audio.forum). There's going to be another update
    next week with more changes. It's mostly for the adventuresome.

This MIDI naming problem by the way isn't RME's fault. It's TASCAM's
    stupidity.

I never took a look at the newsgroup before, but now I'm in ...
    thank you,
    r.

Quote Originally Posted by 1424682
    I never took a look at the newsgroup before, but now I'm in ...
    thank you,
    r.
    Thanks for your comments but for me it is a little bit confusing, I mean all this matter of Registry and GigaStudio and RME drivers killing each other.
    Here you have the pre-release driver from RME: Thread "RME on steroids!".

It has been delivered on 4/29 by Matthias Carstens thru the dedicated RME-Forum (where lot of things can be learned because of their active people and the always very fast RME Staff response for any kind of question - I love these people)

Since I donīt know how to solve my problem into the Registry - Remember it was that after installing driver 2.90 or 2.83 there no more sound neither midi in GigaStudio. Of course the HDSP midi are not visible in Cubase inputs - I will maybe uninstall the audio programs and update with new 2.90 driver and after resinstall GS3, Cubase SX, SF8, LAWP 5.5.1, etc... But I donīt know in wich order? Will it be a Midi-War in the bacKground?

Do you know if it is necessary to load GS3 from the CD that came with the package or it can be done directely with the downloaded 3.04 version?

I canīt tell much about new 2.90 since I canīt get it to work but the graet surprise for me is.
    1 - Total midi control of the board
    2 - Subgroup Loopback recording (without cabling). You can now route any output to the input for recording in software.

Thanks,

Just found on RME-Forumand posted by Matthias Cartens:

"... the official release of driver 2.90 is now available on our website.
    These are the changes compared to the pre-release version announced in
    this forum last week..."

http://www.rme-audio.de/english/download/drivers.htm

Good news so,

*Another question will be geting all my DAW functional (RME+GS3+SX+...)!

Ciao,

Go Back to forum