• Register
  • Help

Topic: EIGHT PIANOS: Toccata

Share/Bookmark

EIGHT PIANOS: Toccata

I went back to work on the opening movement of the "Eight Pianos" 5-part suite earlier tonight and got it to a state which is beyond what I had hoped. Not sure if it is "done" so you can hear it here in HiFi or here in dial-up friendly LoFi.

This joins the previously posted movement 3 "Scherzo" (here on AcidPlanet -- where it made #1 in Classical!) and the finale (part 5 of 5) "Ostinato" (here on AcidPlanet).

The second movement ("Ballad") has been shown to selected folks privately (and many thanks to them!) and I'm betwixed and between as to whether this version here in HiFi or here in LoFi is really the final version or not.

The make-up on the orchestra is GPO (3 pianos and other voices), 5 pianos from the Wizoo Platinum Grand 24 and "other".

Thanks to those who care to comment and make suggestions!

KevinKauai

P.S. The fourth movement ("Nocturne") is in process and soon the entire suite will be complete (or at least ready for the first consolidated round of revisions!).

Smile Re: EIGHT PIANOS: Toccata

The music is really impressive, and the heavy piano base ignite some kind of power. But I've perhaps lost the introduction: why 8 pianos? The reason is only fantasy or it's related to some school or theatre opportunity?

Let me know...

Exclamation Re: EIGHT PIANOS: Toccata

Fabio - - Thanks for your kind observations. I probably stated elsewhere that the "Eight Pianos" suite (of which "Toccata" is #1, "Ballad" is #2, "Scherzo" is #3 and "Ostinato" is the finale, #5) is a purely experimental group of pieces, composed to illustrate some of my bizarre notions about the composition of the "non-concert hall" orchestra/ensenble. In a sense, these pieces are constructed so as to be a deliberate impediment to being performed (due to the unorthodoz instrumentation).

For my first major "offering" on this challenging tangent, I decided to see what could be done with eight pianos (arrayed at 22 1/2 degree intervals from far left to far right, along the imaginary orchestral "arc" behind the main players). I am currently working on some additional works in this mode (odd instrumentation) and hope to share them in the near future if there is any interest and/or comment (which, quite frankly, seems lacking of late). I thank you for stepping up and biting the bullet!

KevinKauai

Re: EIGHT PIANOS: Toccata

Wow - this is great. I liked your Scherzo a lot also (I just listened again), but I like this better - a little less abstract. I haven't had a chance to hear the other movements yet. Look forward to hearing the whole thing.
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: EIGHT PIANOS: Toccata

Kevin I really really enjoy this piece. There is such a sense of power behind it. Given that one piano can pretty much hold its own against an entire orchestra as is, but eight? It's honestly so damn cool that it just makes me smile. I have these odd abstract pictures of robots building these huge colorful structures. If you ever have this piece performed you better let me know.

Although as an aside, I think you and I purchased the -- as you put it earlier -- "ubiquitous other" for similar reasons. In my experience I plunked some of the solo instruments into the sections, for example using the solo horn as my third horn, and employed the brass staccatos as overlays. Those gong scrapes are undeniable, though. It sounds as though your orchestration is very expanded: 10 or 12 horns? It's very cool and well executed.

Go Back to forum