• Register
  • Help

Topic: is this the way to use a sep hard drive ?

Share/Bookmark

is this the way to use a sep hard drive ?

Right now i have one hard drive prationed is a 120 gb. I have my operating system and sonar and kontakt and and all the kompakt players on the c drive. The samples are all loaded on the d drive. Rembmer these are not seprate drives its simply a partition. Now when ever i use kontakt and load up some intruemtns of course i get massive popping and clicking, the cpu pings up and the dfd pings up. i have about 20 gb free on the d drive. Now what i was think ingwas this.

Getting a new raptor hardrive 75 gb, and loading all my samples on that drive, so that included bfd and bfd xfl, atmosphere, gold, opus 1 and so on and so fourth on the new hard drive. so i figure on athe new 75gb drive i will have about 5 or 6 gigs left over.

Question, will it hurt me having it almost filled up, i have heard that having it to compaticy hurts performace. Also will having this new hard drive with samples only on it help my dfd and cpu from not spikeing so high.

Liek i said only samples on the new hard drive and the sonar and the kontakt and the kompacts and the bfd interfacea the like will remain on the origranl hard drive. I am i think this through correctly, is this the best way to do it.

by the way i am runing ap4 2.6 with 1gb of ram.

Thanks in adavce for all you ideas

Re: is this the way to use a sep hard drive ?

Putting all the samples on the second drive will help a lot with the CPU usage and spiking - in the current case the HD head has to move between the OS and program demands and the sample software's demands. It's just too much for one drive to handle, and partitioning does little good, could even make it worse by increasing the head's required travel distance.

Offloading the sample libs to the second drive means that the audio (second) drive only has to respond to the sample player's needs, still very strenous but not nearly as much so, and the OS drive only deals with the apps.

Recommend: One partition for the OS, just large enough with a bit (say a Gig) more than it needs. The second partition for the programs. (This partition could be elimiated without much loss, BTW.) Second drive has the samples.

You'll be much happier.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Much of any application is installed under the windows/system32 folder, so it's really BETTER for all application to be on the same partition as the OS.

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    Recommend: One partition for the OS, just large enough with a bit (say a Gig) more than it needs. The second partition for the programs. (This partition could be elimiated without much loss, BTW.) Second drive has the samples.
    i cant see any reason do this anymore.

to the first qustion. if you have pops and dropouts this can mean many things. its can be not enough memory and parts of the memory have been maped out onto the drives which then reads out the samples plus the maped out ram.
    but it also can be the cpu to slow, a bad pci bridge to the cpu a crapy soundcard (for example a steinberg 2020), a to low latency setting etc. etc.

but a 2. hd is for sure the a step in the right direction.

maybe you look into a fast 300gb 16mb cache maxor drive too. its also has a very fast trouput, the sekk time is much higher though.
    Digital AudionetworX

This may be a stupid question, but how do you determine the latency setting? I dont know how. I thought that the lower the setting the quicker the response setting would be. For instance if i have a high setting i hit a key asy a piano sample. i hit the key on the keyboard and there is a defintly deley in when i acuatlly here it, so i lowered the setting all the way to 2 the loset setting.

Also so what you are all saying is,, I should have my c drive partioned andhave only the os on the c, everythign else on the d (the partion) and then the samples on the new hard drive?

I have a audigy 2 sound card. I know its not the worst but not the best. So what would be the ideal set up. I have a 120gb drive like i said partioned but lets say we dont partion it. so i have a 120 gb drive winpro, 1 gb or ram 2.6 p4
    and i belive the buss is 400 mhz. The way i have it set up now is install all my programs on my c drive, and my mps and stiff i dont want to lose on the pasrioned d, there for if my machien needs to be reformatted i only ahve to do the c and nto lose all my stuff on the d. So now that i have music and samples i need to incorprate all of that. So what do i do can anybody help me, and anidea that is not going to brake the bank?

alo last night for the first time on kontakt 2 i used sample insted of dfd for a change just to see how it would work, and it was great no pops or clicks but damm it uses way to much memory doing it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by wlahc1
    I have a audigy 2 sound card. I know its not the worst but not the best. So what would be the ideal set up. I have a 120gb drive like i said partioned but lets say we dont partion it. so i have a 120 gb drive winpro, 1 gb or ram 2.6 p4
    and i belive the buss is 400 mhz. The way i have it set up now is install all my programs on my c drive, and my mps and stiff i dont want to lose on the pasrioned d, there for if my machien needs to be reformatted i only ahve to do the c and nto lose all my stuff on the d. So now that i have music and samples i need to incorprate all of that. So what do i do can anybody help me, and anidea that is not going to brake the bank?

alo last night for the first time on kontakt 2 i used sample insted of dfd for a change just to see how it would work, and it was great no pops or clicks but damm it uses way to much memory doing it that way.
    i canot say anything about the audigy we only sell rme cards!
    but if you dissable dfd then you might have found the solution.

it was probably the hardddrive
    Digital AudionetworX

Go Back to forum