• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GOS on a Mac with DP?

Share/Bookmark
    Overlooking NYC, from Weehawken, New Jersey, USA

GOS on a Mac with DP?

DPDAN or anyone else out there reading,

Curious, is there a way to use GOS on a Mac with DP?

Seems senseless to use a seperate PC for Giga when I've got a monster Mac setup.

I'm ready to buy GOS, but afraid to get stuck with something that only sort of works as opposed to fully.

I'm Running DP 4.5 & Mach 5 on a Dual 2.5 Ghz G5 with 3.5 Gigs of RAM.

Mach 5 has been a bit of a disappointment as its only been able to import about half of my original sample libraries. Been in full dialogue with MOTU at the time of this problem. Tried everything they suggested, could never easily import my Denny Jeager or Miroslav Strings (the most expensive, of course). I'm afraid I'll buy the GOS and have the same troubles.

Any suggestions?

Erik Paulsen

Re: GOS on a Mac with DP?

Hi, Erik.

Since GOS requires Tascam's GigaStudio, I checked their site. The question below is "Can I run GigaStudio on a Mac?". Their answer is one word: "No." Not terribly elaborate, but to the point.

http://www.tascamgiga.com/support/faq.php#27

Sorry, probably not the answer you were looking for, but wouldn't want you to order it and then find out you can't use it...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Erik:

If you own Mach5 you can import GOS into the Mach5. The bummer is that you will lose the keyswitches. This may be solved with the new version of Mach5 that is due out soon. I use GOS with DP with my Mach5, but I also use GIGA on a PC into DP so that I can use GOS the way it should be used.

Hope I helped you.

Peace

Rik

Hi Erik!

The good news for you is that you can use GOS on your Mac with DP. I use it with Gigastudio on a PC but, Karl Garrett uses it on his Mac with DP and Mach 5. The disadvantage of using it on a Mac is that you can not use the Maestro Tools program along with GOS. Here's how that works.

On a PC with Giga studio, before you open Giga, you open Maestro Tools first, this allows Maestro tools to grab the midi inputs before giga can get them. Then you open Giga and Giga actually gets all of it's midi data from Maestro tools, hence Maestro tools can be set to use a variety of features like auto-alternating bows and legato mode. GOS does have different ways to get around this Maestro Tools thing.

I want to give you all the information you need to make the right decision, and I have to tell you that the GPO Advanced version that is due out this summer is going to have a significantly larger choice of articulations compared to the current GPO package. I doubt it will have all the articulations of GOS, but it might be worth the wait. Now, keep in mind that GOS is only string sections, no solo instruments or any other instruments for that matter. Just string sections.
    IT IS INCREDIBLE THOUGH!

I would think that if you purchased GOS, and then purchased GPO Advanced, you would be convinced that having both is a tremendous luxury.

dpDan

Forgot about just pulling the samples. Glad to be wrong!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Hey Christopher, we're all just trying to share what we think we know
    me too

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hey Christopher, we're all just trying to share what we think we know
    me too
    No offense taken, man! I took the obvious path of checking Tascam without thinking it through, didn't want him to order GOS from me and then find out he couldn't use it. Anything to avoid embarrassment, you know.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

smiley smiley, I don't think you offended anyone, certainly not me,
    heck I just wanted to make another post to get closer to 60,000

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi Erik!

The good news for you is that you can use GOS on your Mac with DP. I use it with Gigastudio on a PC but, Karl Garrett uses it on his Mac with DP and Mach 5. The disadvantage of using it on a Mac is that you can not use the Maestro Tools program along with GOS. Here's how that works.

On a PC with Giga studio, before you open Giga, you open Maestro Tools first, this allows Maestro tools to grab the midi inputs before giga can get them. Then you open Giga and Giga actually gets all of it's midi data from Maestro tools, hence Maestro tools can be set to use a variety of features like auto-alternating bows and legato mode. GOS does have different ways to get around this Maestro Tools thing.

I want to give you all the information you need to make the right decision, and I have to tell you that the GPO Advanced version that is due out this summer is going to have a significantly larger choice of articulations compared to the current GPO package. I doubt it will have all the articulations of GOS, but it might be worth the wait. Now, keep in mind that GOS is only string sections, no solo instruments or any other instruments for that matter. Just string sections.
    IT IS INCREDIBLE THOUGH!

I would think that if you purchased GOS, and then purchased GPO Advanced, you would be convinced that having both is a tremendous luxury.

dpDan
    I have also been wondering just how GOS will compare to the strings in GPO Advanced...
    From my view though, the fact that GOS is a Giga library is a good thing - will GPO Advanced be available as a Giga library? Don't know... GPOA will probably build on the ensemble building features begun in GPO, which could lead to it being significantly more advanced than GOS.. but will it have the same sound quality and quanitity of articulations and sounds? After all, GOS is a large scale Giga library..

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    will GPO Advanced be available as a Giga library?
    NO, not that I can imagine. Tascam has still not yet had the courtesy to send Gary Garritan the GS3 Orchestra software to make a new version of GOS. I am saying this because I am a very happy Giga customer and it was disappointing to hear. I really like GS3 Orchestra but it was sad to hear Gary say "We are still witing for Tascam to send the software." He made a very professional point to not say anything negative about Tascam, so the future of Garritan's libraries in a Giga format are probably not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    Don't know... GPOA will probably build on the ensemble building features begun in GPO, which could lead to it being significantly more advanced than GOS.. but will it have the same sound quality and quanitity of articulations and sounds? After all, GOS is a large scale Giga library..
    My guess is there will be no discernable difference in the quality of sound. Again, my guess too, is that many of the articulations found in GOS will be used in GPO Advanced. If I were in Gary's position, it would not make any sense to record all new samples when they are already recorded. They can be incorporated into a different format such as the Kontakt player, and be used very effectively with the addition of keyswitching that is now available.
    My gut tells me that the days of Giga with Gary are over. Alot of things are changing these days really really fast. I just purchased Trilogy from Spectrasonics which does not use anyone's player. Anything is possible, I could be totally wrong, and these are just my observations with how things are going.
    dpDan

Go Back to forum