• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need some help - anyone free to compose music?

Share/Bookmark

Need some help - anyone free to compose music?

Hey, guys.

As some of you know, I've been slammed lately trying to get my new consulting company ready to roll. Among the projects I'm working on, there are a few where I need bed music for voiceovers. As you might guess, I'm not broken out with spare time, and what little of it I get in the studio of late is spent doing mixes and such for the Composer Channel. In short, I just don't have the time I need to compose at the moment. Kind of ironic given that's what I'd rather be doing, but you know how this making a living thing goes.

I was wondering if any of you would be open to composing a bit of music that I could use. Since this is a new company, I just don't have the budget to buy bed music libraries, so I was hoping some of you would be willing to help me out by composing some short bed music pieces that I could use royalty free. In return, I'll credit the music on the consulting web site and cross link to yours, hopefully generating an occasional paying gig for you. Mostly, though, I'd just consider it a huge favor for any of you who are open to it. Here's the scoop on what I need.

One of the business columns I'm writing, Cubicle City, is for promotional purposes and will be syndicated at no charge in both pdf format and an audio format (i.e., me talking over said bed music, roughly 3-5 minutes in length). I'll use the same music for all instances. I'm looking for something upbeat but lighthearted. To give you an idea of the context, here's a link to Entrance, which is more or less my company's theme - a chunk of this will open and close the audio version of the column. And here's a link to one of the Cubicle City columns, Get Dinner or Be Dinner (pdf, right click to save, left click to open in your browser) to give you an idea of the tone of the writing - although I touch on important business issues, I try to have some fun with it, hence the need for upbeat, lighthearted bed music.

I've also got some audio course / lecture CDs I'll be doing as well. For the column, I'll need something that can be repeated (looped) so I don't have to worry about matching music length to column length. The CDs will be broken into 3 to 5 minute tracks (more or less), so I'll be using fade in / fade out / looping as needed there as well. Of course, I'll be happy to shoot you a couple of CDs when they're done.

Anyway, that's where I'm at. I'd love to spend time in the studio composing this stuff myself, but I barely have time to keep up with the Composer Channel and get my company going, so I'm in a bit of a jam. If any of you have a little free time and wouldn't mind sharing some of your creativity, I would be truly grateful.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: Need some help - anyone free to compose music?

here I am....feel free to mail me your needs.
    Francesco
    nothing is forever

Me too, Christopher.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Thanks very much, guys. I'll email you Monday with the details.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Smile Re: Need some help - anyone free to compose music?

It's the least we could do in return for all your efforts for us. Please let me know if I can help.

Eric

Well I have a short one already made that you can use, if it's just for corporate use... actually it was done for a short film that a friend of mine directed. The movie was an infomercial spoof so it has a rather corporate sounding soundtrack. It's only about 30 seconds long but it can be looped.

Hi Chris, I'd be interested... I guess PM here is the best way to contact me...

Thanks, guys! More when I get to the audio stuff later today...
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Once again, many thanks to all of you. Sorry for the delay, been incredibly busy. I'll send emails / pms momentarily to each of you letting you know more details, but I'll put them here, too, since I don't know what's most convenient for you.

I've got the columns covered, turns out Entrance is the perfect length. What I'm working on now is two audio lecture CDs. In a perfect world, I'd like to have different music for each, but I can just as easily reuse the same music since it's background in nature anyway.

I'll be using pretty much the full 60 minutes for each CD, and they will be broken into tracks that will be between 3 and 5 minutes each, so I'd like to have 5-6 minute chunks of music that I can fade out at the end of each track to match the length of the spoken segment.

I'd like something upbeat and exciting for the intro, and will use the same music on the exit track. A trick that I've used in the past for the other tracks is to have a few songs and repeat them, changing key up a half step or step each time they're repeated. Cheap trick, but it gets you through the night when time is short. MIDI is handy that way.

These are courses to help people improve their business, career or personal life, so the vibe needs to be positive and uplifting. Since music is obviously a very subjective thing, probably the best approach would be for you to shoot me a couple of mp3s of "quick & dirty" sketches to make sure we're on the same page vibe-wise. Please email any email attachments to the Gpo at ShowProgramming dot com email address, not the email I have listed here, as I get a lot of email during the day and large attachments impede my correspondence.

I really appreciate the help on this. I finally had time to spend in the studio Saturday, and most of it ended up being chewed up by technology and maintenance issues getting some new things to play nice. Computers...

Thanks!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum