• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Out of body experiences?

Share/Bookmark

Out of body experiences?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Pardon me, I just a film (Suspect Zero) that got the cogs cranking in my head about this kind of stuff. I didn't know that the US military actually invested years of effort and money into remote viewing (aka clairvoyance) to help solve murder cases.

This kind of ties in with astral projection in a sense. I was wondering if anyone here has had any kind of out of body experience, and if so, how did you know it wasn't just a dream?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

Re: Out of body experiences?

How do you know you're not just dreaming right now?

But what kind of out-of-body experience do you mean? I've had strange little moments when I all the sudden get the sensation I'm over my body looking down. Have you ever had a hallucination? It's kinda like that. Not totally dream, but not totally real either. (If you want some hallucinations, just don't sleep for about 48 hours, of course, they may be weaker than drug-induced, but much safer, unless you want to drive somewhere. Don't try the drug kind (not to imply that I have, of course)).

Also, have you ever had a dream where you are looking at your body from a 3rd person perspective, but still seem to have control of it? It's also kinda like that. In fact, it's the way our memory sometimes works: we imagine a scene we were in from a 3rd person perspective, even if it didn't exactly happen like that.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Sean,

I guess I'm speaking specifically of astral projection. In high school, some buddies and I read up on it, but it was mostly the geek factor Like, "wow, wouldn't it be cool to be able to leave your body temporarily and travel anywhere." We got over that soon enough.

I haven't given an ounce of thought to the topic until learning about remote viewing/clairvoyance and how it was used in the military, I think from the early 70s through the late 90s. This piqued my interest again.

I think it's all the same thing: astral projection, remote viewing, all of these things rely on the theory that all energy in the universe is connected. There's really nothing that separates me from, say, the Grand Canyon, except distance (space).

The thing with astral projection is, supposedly it's something that, with plenty of time and practice, can be done on demand. Being more of a scientific-minded person, I'm skeptical about all this, but I'm open-minded to it though. After all, I hear that we only use about 10% of our brains. What else is locked away up there? And some people might argue that if these things were really possible, we would've already witnessed someone moving objects with their mind. I don't know about that. The human race still isn't advanced enough to overcome petty things like racism, war, and a whole slew of other things that I feel are holding us back.

I think the ultimate test to prove whether out of body experiences are what they really are, would be to project yourself to a specific location, note the surroundings and what's going on, then the next day, talk to someone who was actually there and see if what you describe matches up. (this is actually how they test people who are learning remote viewing)

Just some food for thought. Here are a couple of books I'm probably going to pick up. Learning things is always good, even if the subject matter is a bit.. odd.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/0062513710
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/1571741437

Oh and to answer your question: no, I've never had a dream where I saw myself. Weird. I'd also like to add that I read a couple books years ago on lucid dreaming, and putting the books into practice, I WAS able to lucid dream. When I was in the dream, I KNEW I was dreaming, and therefore was able to take complete control over what happened in the dream. Very cool stuff, but obviously a lot less questionable than astral projection. Lucid dreaming has been scientifically tested and proven to be achievable. Astral projection, however... I'd like to see someone come up with a way to prove that someone did it.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

It's real enough.

Be three feet back of your head!

Jose

Astral projection stuff? Sorry, I'm not buying it . . .

Lucid dreaming is fun, though!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Talking Re: Out of body experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Astral projection stuff? Sorry, I'm not buying it . . .

Lucid dreaming is fun, though!
    Fine, we'll see who's grinning when I astral project into your studio and steal all your equipment!

Yeah, lucid dreaming is a blast.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    Fine, we'll see who's grinning when I astral project into your studio and steal all your equipment!
    I'll have my three astral projecting friends guarding the window . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    I'll have my three astral projecting friends guarding the window . . .
    Yeah, but I'll be walking through the WALL, though. Wait.. I shouldn't have said that.
    Sam Hulick
    Composer

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    Yeah, but I'll be walking through the WALL, though. Wait.. I shouldn't have said that.
    Drat . . . okay, I guess I'll have to learn this stuff real quick so I can spread out through the wall . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Well..........

One time I woke up at 4 or 5am and had to pee, and this is why I think that it wasn't a dream, because I remember waking up and thinking Oh God I have to Pee, so I got up and went to the bathroom. Now this was a tiny house. From my bed it was only 4 steps out of the room, 2 more to cross the hallway and one more to the toilet. When I got there I saw that the seat was down and as I tried to lean down to lift the seat up, I discovered that I didn't have any arms. As soon as I realized that I was back in my bed.

I know that it was my conscious effort that got me out of bed the first time, which makes it impossible for me to form a distinction between being conscious of my dream and astral projecting.

Another really cool experience is "the zone". When you're just improvising on an instrument, and it happens more so when you're jamming with other players, but you hit that level of focus when all of your conscious thinking shifts to a sort of internal process and then once you realize that you haven't been thinking about what you're playing, it breaks it and you're back to thinking about it again. It's that same "zone" experience I get sometimes when I'm outside in the evening. Everything just becomes so beautiful and majestic and so I stop and just focus intensely on every sensation I'm having and then I hit that zone and there's this feeling of tremendous peace. It feels like my consciousness just extends to everything that I can sense.

Those experiences cause me to believe that consciousness is not strictly a sum of your senses. I KNOW, from my own experience, that there is some sort of connection to something beyond me, and I couldn't be more specific if I tried.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast