• Register
  • Help

Topic: G5 Mac, Digital Performer, Platinum or Gold w/ VisionDAW or other slave computers

Share/Bookmark

G5 Mac, Digital Performer, Platinum or Gold w/ VisionDAW or other slave computers

Multiple Computers

I'm not sure if I should post this over at OSXaudio, MacGurus, SoundsOnline... or here, at NS. Please forgive the length of this post, heh, I tried to carve it down.

Here goes:

I'm looking at E W's Platinum and ready to invest some dollars into multiple computers (1 or 2 systems) to power the libraries. Even if I do stick with GOLD (still unopened), I understand that one computer will work just dandy when bouncing MIDI to au., often. [ which slows down the workflow, but more importantly - there is that loss to "tweak on the fly."] --and I understand Plat will work a-okay on 1 puter if bouncing to au, as well. All good - a perfectly legitimate way to compose and create.

Is there anyone here on a Mac dual G5 2.5 GHz / 8GB (or whatever GB) SDRAM w/ 2 X 7200 ATA HD using Digital Performer4 (4.5 ) and is streaming libs from visionDAW systems (or any other computer) who could lay down the bottom line exact steps to link up slaves. Or perhaps there is a forum that deals specifically with this inquiry - or customer service i.e. BHPhoto.com, CDW or Comp USA <----Are they hip to the VI audio landscape in providing bang-on advice?

[other components in my set-up: MOTU 896HD (expandable) MOTU MIDI express XT - ONYX 1640 mixer, etc..] Not a mixerless gal cuz I dig the dials and buttons and touch thing. Can only take so much mouse and keypad.]

When you guys talk about Multiple Computers - are you talking about fully configured standalone computers? Some posts reference La Cie external HDs - but no way could you stream from a La Cie, right?- because they're too slow (or are they? / excuse my ignorance) Wouldn't there be latency issues?

I spoke to the guys at VisionDAW the other day. They were amazingly helpful/informative (+sweet)- but one fella suggested that even the pros have a tough time comprehending "the multiple computer" set-up. After cruising the corridors of N S's forum, Lo ... I am still unclear in how to configure multiple computers. As everyone has a variety of configurations, there's no pat formula.

Do I understand this correctly? Some people use a LaCie external hard drive for streaming their libraries. Some folks use VisionDAW. PC folks use something called FX-teleport but that is only workable PC to PC / not Mac.

If one is using a main computer for applications and #2, 4, 6, or more slave computers for streaming, how many LCD monitors do you need? Just one? More? Why.

Also, I've read:

The key to the best performance is hard drive performance (we recommend 10,000rpm SATA drives like the WD Raptor for Platinum - as a second drive dedicated for samples only) and 2 Gigs of free good ram. We have 3 Gigs in our computers, 1 Gig for the OS and other software and the rest for "Platinum".

Then why ...if VisionDAW is highly recommended hardware (intended to stream data to the PC or Mac) why don't the workstations come with 10,000rpm drives instead of 7200rpm? Just curious.

What about CPU speed? Is 2.5 okay? Because an Apple Care tech suggested that to swap out the 2.5 for 3.0 would yield an unstable G5. (Course, those guys are "by the book" and legal schmeegle by contract).

If anyone could light the lamp, I'd sure appreciate any guidelines, archived posts, insights, bottom lines or top advice. I have searched the many inquiries sprinkled throughout NS but cannot puzzle the pieces together.

wilderness - L.

apologies (in advance) to the people who might reply - I won't be able to read the board for a few days - on the road. For now, thanks for any glimmer of answer or inspiration.

Re: G5 Mac, Digital Performer, Platinum or Gold w/ VisionDAW or other slave computers

I sped read your post but....

Simply put.... this is how "I" have mine set up.

G5 is the main box. Other computers "audio" is routed to 2408Mk3 via light pipe. Midi from other computers goes to the Timepiece AV, which is routed to the G5. Word clock is distributed by GenX96 and is routed to other boxes over light-pipe.

Arm track.... start plying. That's pretty much it....

It "can" be that simple, up to you.

good luck

KID

Re: G5 Mac, Digital Performer, Platinum or Gold w/ VisionDAW or other slave computers

I believe the main reason for using additional machines as opposed to additional hard drives is to harness the RAM of the 'additional' machines. Although with 8GB of RAM(!) you should be able to do some serious damage with that dual G5.

I posed a simpler version of your question on another thread, and got some great suggestions (gear and all). A fairly vitriolic discourse ensued relating to other issues, but if you can sift through the bull you can find some decent info...

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33786

For me the need for more computers was/is about apps.... not all apps run on a Mac (well, or at all)

KID

Running two PCs (Giga and EWQLS) via lightpipe (MOTU 828) into my Mac G5 with DP 4.5.2 and it works like a charm! Can't say enough good things about my setup.

Peace

Rik

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rikp
    Running two PCs (Giga and EWQLS) via lightpipe (MOTU 828) into my Mac G5 with DP 4.5.2 and it works like a charm! Can't say enough good things about my setup.

Peace

Rik
    Ditto here, except from PCs to PCs. Lightpipe is a very beautiful thing. I have everything networked as well, so there are many ways to get the data around.

multiple computers

KID - Thanks for sharing your set-up which inspired a conversation with a Sweetwater rep to discuss MIDI, Audio interfaces and the Timepiece AV. MOTU hardware is good stuff - and I use it. (need to get up to speed in re GenX96 Word clock routing thing, tho.) When components are assembled on this end - I'll resurrect this thread and post details (+ photos).

Thanks ELP71 - yes, I read the series of posts and ... thanks for prompting a "reread" of that thread. A good deal of help - bookmarked and/or printed with highlights. For what it's worth - it doesn’t matter MAC or PC - I only use MAC because my baby steps into "the delicate domain" was w/ DP3 , then Final Cut Pro. Maybe someday, I shall take the Logic plunge! ( imagining vertical learning curve)

To all who posted.... I appreciate it.

Laurie

Go Back to forum