• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Audio Mixing Tutorial - by Dan Kury

Share/Bookmark

Audio Mixing Tutorial - by Dan Kury

Audio Mixing is an essential part to music production. Even when recording real orchestras for film, television interactive games or recordings, there is a great deal that goes on with mixing and post production. Many musicians know a great deal about the music side of things but when it comes to audio mixing they sometimes do not have a clue as the where to begin.

Dan Kury has written this excellent guilde to Audio Mixing. Dan brings over thirty years of mixing experience and shares with us his treasure trove of knowledge.

This tutorial covers the basics of mixing, adding reverb, audio bussing, EQ, Panning, Compression and Grouping. There are vivid screenshots and audio examples included.

Here is the tutorial:

http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/AudioMixing.htm

This tutorial will be an invaluable guide for every musician who wants to learn mixing and production.

Thank you for writing this Dan and for sharing it with us !

Gary Garritan

Re: Audio Mixing Tutorial - by Dan Kury

Brilliant!

This is the very tutorial I needed.

Thank you Dan and Gary.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Gary:

Thanks for posting this. I will share with my students, especially since it was done on DP!

Peace

Rik

Thumbs up Re: Audio Mixing Tutorial - by Dan Kury

This is nice and about time. Thank you Dan and Gary.
    Styxx

Thanks you guys, it was very hard for me not to go into massive detail. You know me motormouth. I kept having to chop stuff out. But there will be another one if Gary and others think it is helpful. It was a pleasure to do.

Dan

fabulous Re: Audio Mixing Tutorial - by Dan Kury

wanna say thank u for this, this is the very tutorial I was waiting for, thank u so much for the effort, its an extraordinary tutorial, I loved it all around and I just wish for more and more detail,another one in the future please ))

I just have one question,

this phrase was very helpful to me:
    In orchestral music, I recommend using some reverb on all the instruments, but not necessarily the same amount. I recommend a reasonable amount on strings, slightly more on woodwinds, and considerably more on brass and percussion. This will create that concert hall effect and provide a nice real sounding environment for your music

I just have one question, for example I use nuendo and I have configured the ambience reverb as a send for each channel, and so I can set the amount sent from minus infinite until 6 (all the range of the send in the mixer goes from -infinite till +6 ) , so I dont know if this is similar in all sequencers, but could u give us an idea of what amount we would consider big , medium and small, like for strings you could send -1 , for winds +1 and for percussion + 3 , or something like that, I just dont know how do I know what is a reasonable amount , what is slightly more and what is considerable more cause I just dont know how much is in this huge scale that goes from -infinit till +6, I dont know how much is each, yes I can listen by myself but Im not an expert and I want experts to tell me what would be similar to the real thing, so your phrase helped me a lot, now I only know somebody to tell me that a reasonable amount, slightly more and considerable more actually equal more or less , roughly to these numbers a, b, and c in the sends range of the mixer of the sequencer (within the range -infinit to +6)

thank u again for such a wonderful tutorial, it made my day

Javi

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Thanks you guys, it was very hard for me not to go into massive detail. You know me motormouth. I kept having to chop stuff out. But there will be another one if Gary and others think it is helpful. It was a pleasure to do.

Dan

and also Re: fabulous Re: Audio Mixing Tutorial - by Dan Kury

I must add that Im using the concert hall 1 preset in the ambience reverb using nuendo and a pc

I dont know if the concert hall preset is correct, my composition is a very big orchestral one, I use the full range of the orchesthra and I have full tuttis similars to the end of Also Sprach Zarathusthra of Strauss, so I definitely need reverb.....

so is concert hall 1 a correct reverb present in ambience plugin for a big orchestral piece? and then again what numbers (from -infinit to +6) would I consider correct for strings, woodwinds and percussion?

thanks loads
    Jav

Quote Originally Posted by javismiles
    wanna say thank u for this, this is the very tutorial I was waiting for, thank u so much for the effort, its an extraordinary tutorial, I loved it all around and I just wish for more and more detail,another one in the future please ))

I just have one question,

this phrase was very helpful to me:
    In orchestral music, I recommend using some reverb on all the instruments, but not necessarily the same amount. I recommend a reasonable amount on strings, slightly more on woodwinds, and considerably more on brass and percussion. This will create that concert hall effect and provide a nice real sounding environment for your music

I just have one question, for example I use nuendo and I have configured the ambience reverb as a send for each channel, and so I can set the amount sent from minus infinite until 6 (all the range of the send in the mixer goes from -infinite till +6 ) , so I dont know if this is similar in all sequencers, but could u give us an idea of what amount we would consider big , medium and small, like for strings you could send -1 , for winds +1 and for percussion + 3 , or something like that, I just dont know how do I know what is a reasonable amount , what is slightly more and what is considerable more cause I just dont know how much is in this huge scale that goes from -infinit till +6, I dont know how much is each, yes I can listen by myself but Im not an expert and I want experts to tell me what would be similar to the real thing, so your phrase helped me a lot, now I only know somebody to tell me that a reasonable amount, slightly more and considerable more actually equal more or less , roughly to these numbers a, b, and c in the sends range of the mixer of the sequencer (within the range -infinit to +6)

thank u again for such a wonderful tutorial, it made my day

Javi

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN

Dan
    Thank you Dan. This got me well through the basics. It will certainly contribute in the quality of my work. You made it very clear to me without goning into depth right away. I'm ready for your next..... Now, not only my ears enjoyed your work, but also my eyes.

Gerard

Thumbs up Re: Audio Mixing Tutorial - by Dan Kury

Thanks a lot for this brilliant tutorial, Dan. You have a very clear and helpful way of expressing things.

I'm pleased to see that I was doing a lot of things right, but I also learned quite a few new tricks. Thanks again.

Terry

Thank you all!

I get so moved when I get complimented. I appreciate all your comments and truly hope that you have a better understanding of some of the things that can be so technical and confusing with audio. It is so humbling to know that something I have done is helping others, what a joy!

I do want to do another tutorial as long as Gary approves.
    I would love to do screenshots and specific details with the different popular sequencers, like Sonar, Logic, Cubase, and Nuendo. Although that is not possible, since I only have DP, but I do use a PC for GPO and GOS so I am familiar with both platforms.
    Possibly, the next tutorial would be mainly about using reverb. I would like to go into detail with alot of screenshots and MP3's.
    Maybe if these tutorials are succesful help for users the next one could be about EQ.

Javismiles, try this experiment. Set the reverb "aux" send to about 50% on the strings. This may be a knob or slide "widget" regardless, set it halfway. Set the reverb send on the woodwinds to about 65-70% and the french horn to almost full. Set your reverb return level to about 60%.
    Allow only one of these sections to play at a time. Listen to the amount of reverb. Do this test for each of the sections one at a time. The strings should sound the closest and the brass the farthest. I have not mentioned percussion, but it should probably have more than the brass, it really depends on the percussion instrument/s used.

You just have to use your ears to decide what sounds best.
    Once you have found a volume setting for these individual reverb aux sends, document the settings, and use these settings as a default starting place for your other projects. I hope that gets you to a starting place.

Have a great Sunday afternoon everyone!

Thanks again all of you,
    Gary, Richard, Rik, Styxx, Javi, Neo, Gerard, and Terry!

Dan

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast