• Register
  • Help

Topic: London Solo Strings?

Share/Bookmark

London Solo Strings?

The recent Electronic Musician had an advertisement for Big Fish samples and it included London Solo Strings.

Is this really a happening?

Anyone know about this?

Marko

Thumbs up Re: London Solo Strings?

Try to look here.
    There are also some interesting demo.
    London Solo Strings

Best Roberto

Re: London Solo Strings?

Roberto,

Thanks. I am aware of the website, but I think this product has been advertised before only to disappear from the radar screen. Now it's back again. So I am a bit skeptical about the package, given it's history.

I listened to the Poulenc demo. The mix is odd, as if the violin sample is played to a live piano recording.

What's your take on this?

Marko

Smile Re: London Solo Strings?

Marko,
    well I don't know, I have listened the demo,
    and I don't know what say.
    I will wait for Solo Stradivari of Gary and there I will compare the products.
    What do you think comparing this demo with those found for VSL or Kirk Hunter?
    best
    Roberto

QUOTE:
    "I listened to the Poulenc demo. The mix is odd, as if the violin sample is played to a live piano recording."

The piano used in this demo is the Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial Grand Model 290. The piano was processed with Altiverb in this demo.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Regarding the Poulenc demo, the piano seems overbearing at points, especially in the lower octaves which sound muddy in contrast to the violin. Perhaps it's just my speakers (or my ears).

There's some strange tones occurring at about :41 and :42 seconds into the piece.

I suppose if this were for piano only, it would sound better

Marko

Quote Originally Posted by Marko
    Regarding the Poulenc demo, the piano seems overbearing at points, especially in the lower octaves which sound muddy in contrast to the violin. Perhaps it's just my speakers (or my ears).

There's some strange tones occurring at about :41 and :42 seconds into the piece.

I suppose if this were for piano only, it would sound better

Marko
    All pianos sound muddy when played in the lower ranges with chords and arpeggios such as was done in this Poulenc demo. This is why professional piano musicians and composers do not typically play and compose piano music in these lower ranges on a piano, such as was done on this Poulenc demo. The Bardstown Bosendorfer most definitely sounds much more clear and pristine in these lower note ranges than most other pianos.

Also, the person who produced this demo used a considerable amount of Altiverb processing on the piano in this demo in order to set it back in the mix in order to feature the violin. Anytime extensive reverb processing is used on any instrument, you won't hear distinct clarity and definition on that instrument.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

I got it the other day as it is avalible now. I am still working with it, but from I have used, the short notes are good. Up-down bowings are avalible for maracto, staccto, and spicatto.

Quote Originally Posted by esperlad
    I got it the other day as it is avalible now. I am still working with it, but from I have used, the short notes are good. Up-down bowings are avalible for maracto, staccto, and spicatto.
    It really comes in under 4gb, with all the articulations listed?

Go Back to forum